Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:49 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I was in Dallas on a business trip. I was with a California company a all was going fine. One of the Texas sales reps noticed my accent (very slight NY) and asked me where I was from. I replied "New York" and all of a sudden everything went south for no reason other than I said NY.
I get the same thing when I go to New York for work. Except, I do not have a Texas accent. People ask where I am from, I say originally California. I get the occasional sarcastic remark, but nothing too crazy. However, when they find out I live in Texas, its open season. There is a lot of resentment and dislike in New York toward Texas for whatever reason. Likewise the feeling is somewhat mutual in Texas toward New Yorkers. However, Texans dont seem to have a problem with Californians as much.

Its all so dumb if you asked me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
I am from Richmond, Virginia. North Carolina along with many other southern states is where I have been treated with disrespect all based on where I was from.
That's weird. Isn't Richmond, VA in the south?

Although I have never lived in northern Virginia, I know people who moved from north-central West Virginia to northern Virginia and they faced hostility based on where they were from. Although two West Virginia counties are in DC's metro area, it gets little respect.

When the FBI Fingerprint Identification office moved to Clarksburg, WV, many DC area residents refused to make the move. I met some of the transplants from northern VA/MD and most were nice, but some were really annoying and did not hide their disdain for West Virginia. So I can only imagine what WV transplants go through there, but that's a different topic.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:58 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
that pretty much should sum it up.

if you are an unfriendly idiot, you will be one no matter where you are from.

If you are genuine, sincere and friendly it should make no difference where you are from.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM

288 posts, read 351,947 times
I'm from Eastern Europe and the first place I moved to in US was Texas. Some of the Americans I knew tried to talk me out of it as they said that Texas is populated by ultra-patriotic rednecks who hate foreigners. For about 6 years of me living there I never encountered any hostility.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
There is a lot of resentment and dislike in New York toward Texas for whatever reason. Likewise the feeling is somewhat mutual in Texas toward New Yorkers.
I think a lot of the New York vs. Texas animosity originally arises from the fact that they are both big, proud states. This is further amplified by the old North vs. South thing. Combine that with 8 years of Bush who was not particularly popular in New York and unlike many presidents very associated with his home state, the state of Texas. I heard people joke, "Why do we have to have a foreign president?" at the time.

Most New Yorkers know as much about Texas as Texans know about New York which is a mish-mash of negative and unfounded stereotypes with very little bearing on reality or the whole picture of either state.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM

134 posts, read 126,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
That's weird. Isn't Richmond, VA in the south?
No Virginia is Mid-Atlantic.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM

35 posts, read 129,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I did. A lot of people in Northern VA hate Virginians who aren't from Northern VA. I moved from Hampton (SE VA) to Alexandria (Northern VA) when I was 16 and caught some when folk found out I was from Hampton.
I like how the first comment has to do with Northern Virginia not to be confused with the other Virginia's. Its true I moved from West Virginia to Leesburg around the same age and everyone I encountered thought I was from Tennessee due to my northern accent of course. In school it seemed that if you wernt from NYC or Philly you would be shunned! A good friend of mine was from Memphis.......yeah he got the worst of it.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:43 PM

35 posts, read 129,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
No Virginia is Mid-Atlantic.
We haven't been southern since Pennsylvania bought Virginia and the Asian invasion of 1996......We really need to get rid of things like this. It can be confusing to the people who live here lol.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
I have had some people, when they find out I'm from Texas, say something about George W. Bush.
"Next time you see Bush, tell him to stay home!" What? I never even talked about politics, Texas is a huge place, and I've never even met Bush.

I have also had some people I am having a nice conversation with automatically start breaking out the stereotypes. I try to joke around about it or give a straight answer, but it can get bothersome.

If I get any sort of negative reaction, it is usually when people make side remarks or laugh and put on a fake accent or something. I've had people look me up and down strangely too. I notice if I say the city I usually get a less negative reaction than saying the state. Luckily I haven't had too many hostile encounters. Usually people just ask me what it's like to live there.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:50 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
I get the same thing when I go to New York for work. Except, I do not have a Texas accent. People ask where I am from, I say originally California. I get the occasional sarcastic remark, but nothing too crazy. However, when they find out I live in Texas, its open season. There is a lot of resentment and dislike in New York toward Texas for whatever reason. Likewise the feeling is somewhat mutual in Texas toward New Yorkers. However, Texans dont seem to have a problem with Californians as much.

It's crazy because I never thought about NY vs TX unless I was on here. I happen to have fallen hard for some New Yawkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.