Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,903,195 times

Advertisements

What about north to north transplants? I know that may sound dumb, but look at cities like Indianapolis and Columbus. Both take on many characteristics of southern cities, and have extremely diverse economies. I only mention that because I know a lot of people from Buffalo, NY, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, New York, and Philly that live in Indy and Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Oh okay. Was it really that different from Richmond, VA? Not too familiar with NC, but I couldnt really see myself living there.

edit: And Its interesting to see that you dont consider VA a southern state
No, Virginia is Mid Atlantic. Just because we are below the mason-dixon line does not make us southern. It also does not make Maryland or West VA southern either. I would say that VA, MD, DE, and West VA have more in common with New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania then it does with Mississippi.

The south to me is North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Those are the true blue southern states.

Kentucky, Missouri, and Arkansas are midwest. Texas is southwestern.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaOnIce View Post
Richmond, Virginia
Richmond... What's the difference? It's still southern.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
Quote:
Richmond, Virginia

Yep, you're definitely living high on the hog now.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM

243 posts, read 274,860 times
Quote:
All I can say is our 4 year long move to Charlotte, North Carolina has been nothing but a nightmare. We have since returned to our home for a much better quality of life.

People there do not cut there grass. I miss the clean fresh lawns that people back at home had. At least show some pride in the house that you live in! Dirty pick up trucks and cars parked on the grass, ugly trailer parks next to big houses! Whats up with that? Dogs chained up to trees who desperately need food and water. Hearing gunshots near our house, but the drivers were the worst!

Despite what people say racism is still alive and strong in the south. I could not believe what I was hearing. They would never get away with that garbage back where I am from. And I found southern hospitality to be nothing short of a fraud. I miss real honest people, good schools, healthier food options and being close to the major cities of the northeast.

Goodbye north carolina! I will miss the weather, however.
It's really like that I've never been to NC but you make it sound great! I've been hearing for years how NC was becoming progressive it was depressing to hear that about a great state like NC your post shows me that there are still decent places still left in NC! I am still hopeful that at least some part of this great country will remain after the "progressives" are finished with their movement. I've heard there are some truely tough people in NC hopefully if anyone can outlast the progressive outsiders they can.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:45 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,971 times
Quote:
No, Virginia is Mid Atlantic. Just because we are below the mason-dixon line does not make us southern. It also does not make Maryland or West VA southern either. I would say that VA, MD, DE, and West VA have more in common with New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania then it does with Mississippi.

The south to me is North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Those are the true blue southern states.

Kentucky, Missouri, and Arkansas are midwest. Texas is southwestern.
Your in denial, bud. Virginia is most definitely a Southern State. The only reason it might have some things in common with NJ, NY, OH an PA is because of all the transplants that live there for D.C.

Hell your hometown was the former capital of the Confederate States of America.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM

134 posts, read 127,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Your in denial, bud. Virginia is most definitely a Southern State. The only reason it might have some things in common with NJ, NY, OH an PA is because of all the transplants that live there for D.C.

No I am not in denial. Virginia is grouped with the Mid-Atlantic states.

Quote:
Hell your hometown was the former capital of the Confederate States of America.
That was then this is now. Besides the original capital of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama. Fighting for the Confederacy is not always a good indicator on whether a state is southern or not. Kentucky fought for the Union itself, lol.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
Quote:
No I am not in denial. Virginia is grouped with the Mid-Atlantic states.

That was then this is now. Besides the original capital of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama. Fighting for the Confederacy is not always a good indicator on whether a state is southern or not. Kentucky fought for the Union itself, lol.

Are you actually being serious? Everything you mentioned in your negative previous post is also in Virginia. I've been there. Don't even attempt to disgrace North Carolina. Richmond, VA a decent city? Yes. Superior to anything in NC? No.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Neither Virginia nor West Virginia culturally have much to do with New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York or Ohio. If you look at maps of dialect, ancestry and religion, which I think most people would agree are basic indicators of identity, they are distinctly separate.

Here is a map of the 2000 US Census Ancestry map, overlaid with the line of Southern dialect (red) according to the Telsur Project from the Univ. of PA.

The second map is religion, with red being Baptist, both Southern and Regular. Green is Methodist and the blue is Catholic. There are also many small churches in VA and WV that are lost in surverys. According to the Encyclopedia of Appalachia

Quote:
Appalachia’s people make a clear distinction between religion and faith. They have always understood that theology, words about God, is controlled and manipulated by human institutions far more easily than is Spirit-led faith. Inevitably, most mountain church communities operate almost entirely outside of denominational frameworks. They are largely self-determining and without denominational allegiances or agendas, believing that "each church holds the key to its own door." These churches are prevalent and widespread yet remain unnoted and uncounted in any census of church life in the United States. As a result, Appalachia has a prominent and false image of a region that is largely "unchurched." This image serves some denominations’ justifications for maintaining mission work in Appalachia.

As you can see, both WV and VA are separated generally from the states to the north in very essential ways. It may not be apparent as you drive through or talk to people but the underlying differences are there.

Last edited by Bobilee; 12-21-2010 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
What did I miss when I moved south (Chicagoland to TN)? Practically everything. I missed the food, the big city amenities, cooler weather, less bugs, people that could drive in rain/snow, jobs that paid, family, architecture, etc. The south was just too hot, slow, buggy, and backwards for my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.