Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM

465 posts, read 507,934 times

Advertisements

I would first like to say I'm analyzing several different areas to move to. It will be at least 2 or 3 years away. I have a few questions in no particular order and may add more later.

1) I have brain damage and can't drive because of seizures and other issues...I also get lost easy...I either need a good public transport option or everything that's necessary needs to be in walking distance.

2) I live on SSI a lot of times I can't even work part-time will I be able to afford the area? I should be able to get food stamps and be able to transfer my Section 8 until they fit me into the other area? But how are the prices on things including housing, food, cost of living in general?

3) I'm an FtM transgender meaning I'm in a female body but identify as male will this be an issue?

4) Will I have to worry about being bullied for being disabled and/or trans or will people be nice to me?

I will probably settle down to a couple of places and will check them out further and then visit one before I make up my mind. TY everyone who responds. I would love feedback on where you would think was nice. I do prefer cities that are 100,000 pop. or less but am willing to compromise on that. I make almost $700/mo. federal but most states add at least a little something to that which is something else to consider. TY all for taking the time to at least read if not post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:35 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,109 times
I'm not sure I have the best option for you, but Phoenix fits "some" of the criteria you provided.

We have a large transgender population here. We have a clinic that does gender reassignment so it is somewhat common for a patient to undergo the surgery and then stay in Phoenix for an extended amount of time. At least, this is what the personnel at my esthetician's office tell me. They specialize in hair removal and have several MtF's working there which I think is wonderful and I just love them to death. Another pro to Phoenix is the wide selection of hospitals and health care facilities. I've had great health care since moving here.

The cons are that Phoenix is a huge city. While the layout is pretty straight forward, you still may get lost. I've heard mixed reviews on public transportation. I think the key would be finding the perfect area within Phoenix for you and just sticking to that neighborhood as much as possible. We have people of all walks of life here and I never bat an eye at anyone who looks or acts different. I can't speak for everyone, and Phoenix leans to the conservative side, but I think you'd be fine here as long as you could tolerate the summer heat which could be brutal for someone without a nice air conditioned vehicle to travel around in.

Last edited by redjan1225; 12-20-2010 at 03:50 PM..

Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM

Yeah it doesn't have to meet all my criteria I'm just brainstorming right now. I had a bad family move when I was 15 so now I paranoidly plan years ahead for a move lol. So basically I'd rather have a ton of ideas and whittle them down. No place will be perfect I realize that and if a place meets 85% of my needs I can find a way around/ help for the other I'm sure. TY for your feedback I will check out Phoenix as well as other cities and states. Also I'm open to hearing about more progressive states in general and that includes more "live and let live" states in my book. I'm more of a moderate person really although I do identify as slightly left of center. I welcome all feedback from anyone give me a few ideas people I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Ithaca, NY might be worth looking into, relatively low cost of living, relatively high availability of services for a small city, relatively high tolerance for non-mainstream lifestyles.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:33 AM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Ithaca, NY might be worth looking into, relatively low cost of living, relatively high availability of services for a small city, relatively high tolerance for non-mainstream lifestyles.
Ditto.....

Old 12-23-2010, 11:06 AM

About Ithaca, according to Best Cities 2010: How Does Your City Stack Up? Sortable Data, U.S. Metropolitan Areas, Population, Cost of Living Index, Creative Class, Median Household Income, Income Growth it's 103 on the list where I live now is 100 so I wonder what that means in real terms.

Rent here is anywhere from $300-$1000 (ish) here depending on size, condition of the place, what part of town, etc.

Lights for me and my mom in the summer are about $50-60/mo. but we're super careful. It's more like $80-150 in the winter. About how different would it be there?

Water is inc. where I live but it's usually at least $30 for most people it was about 40 for us because we had washer and dishwasher that we used fairly often we used a clothes dryer thing where you just hang them up so it helped with the cost of lights. How different would it be there?

I'm not worried about transportation costs I just go to doctor and grocery store mostly. Obviously the cheaper the more of a perk but it's not a huge concern.

Food I spend about $100/mo. on but I eat mostly rice, beans, ramen noodles, tuna, you get the idea at the cheapest store possible. Is that realistic there too?

The reason I'm asking so much is Ithaca, Asheville, Minneapolis, St. Louis, Phoenix, are a few of the last ones standing from a list of literally dozens. A lot of the others got put out for cost of living or because it's not a very GLBT friendly place. I live in a very Bible Belt conservative place and I just want a place where people have more open minds than here.

Any feedback would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.