Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 12:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,707 times

Advertisements

Would the South or Midwest be more religious? And would any parts of the US be less than 50% Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Well, Christianity is more prominent in the South and Midwest, while it's becoming less common in the West and Northeast.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,373,781 times
The Northeast just isn't into that much as you are. Glad that you are because it endears us to you. We just aren't that enamored anymore. Ohio, Michigan, some Southern states, lack ability to persuade their congressman to vote for what they thought they voted for. Worst examples are Bryd from WV and Murtha from Pa. Normal people are glad they are gone.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:30 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
There are Christians throughout the nation. I think on another thread someone posted a study\ survey of regions with the most Christians and the least. I recall that the Pacific Northwest was not nearly as religious as places like the South. And the Northeast, as I recall, was also not nearly as influenced by Christianity as other parts of the nation. I think all the large cities are more secular than religious. The distinction may be more along the lines of influence rather than mere numbers of Christians. The influence of Christianity is likely much stronger in parts of the Midwest and South than the other sections of the nation.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
One thing about the Northeast that I have noticed as that, unlike other parts of the country, the religious conservatives are often Catholic while the Protestants (mostly Mainline) are a bit more on the liberal side.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Would the South or Midwest be more religious? And would any parts of the US be less than 50% Christian?
Religious Identity: States Differ Widely

Old 12-24-2010, 09:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,985 times
As a heathen infidel who lives in the Midwest (KC, from STL) and having been essentially everywhere around the US, I'd have to say that the South is clearly the most fundie religious. Is astonishing the number of Jesus billboards you see in the South, especially Georgia and Northern Florida.

Midwest religious people tend to keep it to themselves (at least in the cities) but there might be a higher % of Xians than in the 'new economy' cities. I do think the East Coast is more traditionally contact religious (not fundie) than the Midwest though. I was walking around downtown Brooklyn a few years ago and a street preacher was at it... the surprising thing was that many stopped to listen. My brother lives in NYC and 'found' religion there, though he is more into theology than religion.

Of the Jews that I know in KC, none practice it. There seem to be more pagans, wiccans and contemporary unitarian types in the KC core, but for the most part, the city core and educated burbs aren't nearly as fundie religious as the rest of MO/KS. Southern MO may as well be included in the South. It's very fundamentalist.

Last edited by xenokc; 12-24-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 09:51 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
I think true Christians exist in the same numbers throughout the country. There are a lot more (often hypocritical) "Cultural Christians" in the South.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:52 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post

This question reeks of ignorance. To ask about religion and then making a statement equating Christianity being synonymous with religion is absurd. There are many religions in the world; Christianity being but one.

I guess the question should be, "Which area of the country would have the highest percentage of Christians?" I don't know the answer to that but I would assume it would be the area with the least amount of other faiths and non-believers of religion.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:06 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Depending on how you define the term, Utah is either the most or least Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.