Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 09:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

I'll be spending a few days in the Washington DC area in a few days or so. But the reason I am not posting this in the Washington DC forum is because it regards the surrounding areas also, where many in that board might not know about. The General US area generally has people from all over who can come in and give some helpful tips.

I want to see a lot of nice and cool stuff in the area, and I already know I'll be giving Shenandoah a visit for sure. But what else can I see in West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, & South New Jersey?

Anyone have any ideas or advice that I can use in the coming few days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 10:08 PM

276 posts, read 432,583 times
Well outside the DC MSA.....

Maryland:
-Annapolis

Virginia:
-Colonial Williamsburg

West Virginia:
-Harpers Ferry

Old 12-28-2010, 10:33 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Baltimore!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:00 AM

276 posts, read 432,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
Baltimore!
Dead! He said nice and cool remember?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:05 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Dead! He said nice and cool remember?

Actually a lot of people make the trip up to Baltimore on the MARC for a day's outings from DC. There would be quite a few interesting things to see including Fort McHenry and all of the city markets along with the Inner Harbor.

In terms of "cool" Baltimore outweighs DC.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:11 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I'll be spending a few days in the Washington DC area in a few days or so. But the reason I am not posting this in the Washington DC forum is because it regards the surrounding areas also, where many in that board might not know about. The General US area generally has people from all over who can come in and give some helpful tips.

I want to see a lot of nice and cool stuff in the area, and I already know I'll be giving Shenandoah a visit for sure. But what else can I see in West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, & South New Jersey?

Anyone have any ideas or advice that I can use in the coming few days?
Back to your post:
If you have never been near the area before, I would suggest a trip to Harpers Ferry in West Virgina. Lots of history and great scenery. Perhaps a ride along Skyline Drive although it may be snowy up in the mountains this time of year. Williamsburg, Virginia draws quite a few visitors. Baltimore and Annapolis in Maryland are a nice time along with Ellicott City. In Delaware, Rehoboth Beach can be fun. You could go see the wild ponies and the ocean at Assateaque Island in Maryland/Virginia. The bridge from Virginia Beach to the panhandle is awesome. Cape May, NJ is a great seaside town.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
I have been before but as a tourist only. This time around (in a few days from today) it'll be from the perspective of a new resident to the area. Recently the family & I have acquired a residency of our own in Northern Virginia.

In general, Washington DC & Baltimore are probably some of my favorite places on the Eastern Seaboard, actually they are my favorite places on the Eastern Seaboard by a long shot. But I want to see some of the scenery around the area.

I was thinking of these places before I made the thread:
- Skyline Drive in Virginia
- Charlottesville in Virginia
- Shenandoah Mountain Valley in West Virginia & Virginia
- Annapolis (Maryland's Capital)
- Baltimore Harbor
- The University of Maryland Campus (One of my friends go there, so to visit)
- Georgetown (Another close friend goes there, so to visit)

And now thanks to this thread I can add in:
- Harpers Ferry in West Virginia
- Rehoboth Beach
- Assateaque Island
- Colonial Williamsburg

Thank you everyone for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming. I basically want to see as much of the area as possible until its time for school to start up again in which case I would be coming back when the next semester starts (Middle January).

Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,877,552 times
Hit me up when you visit College Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.