Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 04:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,622,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Spill the beans. Which Southern state was it?

Some of us may find the information useful. You never know when someone will be in that area and not realize there may be a problem lurking.
It was North Carolina, there i said it!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 08:58 AM

480 posts, read 2,824,108 times
What happened in NC? They kidnap you and force you to watch 48 hours of NASCAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregsbabe1 View Post
It was North Carolina, there i said it!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
What happened in NC? They kidnap you and force you to watch 48 hours of NASCAR?
Pretty Close!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:18 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,894,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelling_paws View Post
That said, Denver was getting overcrowded and pricey. I really enjoyed it in the mid 80's through mid-90s, then it boomed and the city got yuppified and sports-bar-ified and I didn't like it as much.
Yes. I lived in Denver for much of my life and it has changed--not for the better.
Crime is worse there too, but that might just be the economy.

We don't *want* to go back to Denver, but our situation is different: we relocated to northwest Florida for what we thought would be my husband's dream job, and then 10 months later he got laid off.
Our tiny town in northwest Florida has been a major adjustment but we love the Gulf, the wildlife and the scenic beauty here. We don't lock our door. There's no traffic. (No shopping either, but we were willing to deal with this. )
I don't miss Denver's snowstorms in May and the eczema that would plague me all winter. It's been a very mild hurricane season.
However--there is no work here for my husband; we will have to relocate AGAIN.
Our youngest is a senior in high school and I will stay with him and finish out the school year. After that, who knows?
I think I need to start my own "Where To" thread.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:14 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,303,840 times
Quote:
I am from the west coast and moved to the NE then the South, I didnt have preconceived thoughts on them, but i actually found the northerners more receptive and nice and some southerners really rude and judgemental, so I really dont think stereotypes fit.
That always seems to be Southerners way of denying they're, FOR THE MOST PART OBVIOUSELY NOT EVERYONE BUT THE MAJORITY, extremely judegemental, materialistic, phony, etc.

They say well it's just these rude northerners that think we're a bunch of dumb, racist, hicks...I don't think that at all about Southerners, if I listed problems I've had with the South...racist, dumb, slow, NASCAR, backwards, redneck...none of that would be on the list. I haven't seen any of this, and if there is any of it, it hasn't been anything noticeable enough. In fact the only decent people I've met since I've been here are "rednecks". Not racist, inbred, dumb, whatever...Just the few people I've met here that seem to be down-to-earth, not more concerned w/what church I belong to, or what McMansion subdivision I live in, more than anything else!

Part of me is still hoping maybe I'm just in the wrong area of the South, I really love what I always thought was the way of life here...Maybe it still is in other areas here, or SC, or AL, or TN...But unfortunately from what I've heard from people, and what I've been reading on here and other places, people seem to be having the same general experiences in the South.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
That always seems to be Southerners way of denying they're, FOR THE MOST PART OBVIOUSELY NOT EVERYONE BUT THE MAJORITY, extremely judegemental, materialistic, phony, etc.

They say well it's just these rude northerners that think we're a bunch of dumb, racist, hicks...I don't think that at all about Southerners, if I listed problems I've had with the South...racist, dumb, slow, NASCAR, backwards, redneck...none of that would be on the list. I haven't seen any of this, and if there is any of it, it hasn't been anything noticeable enough. In fact the only decent people I've met since I've been here are "rednecks". Not racist, inbred, dumb, whatever...Just the few people I've met here that seem to be down-to-earth, not more concerned w/what church I belong to, or what McMansion subdivision I live in, more than anything else!

Part of me is still hoping maybe I'm just in the wrong area of the South, I really love what I always thought was the way of life here...Maybe it still is in other areas here, or SC, or AL, or TN...But unfortunately from what I've heard from people, and what I've been reading on here and other places, people seem to be having the same general experiences in the South.

I mention the south and my husband goes off on a wild rant, we got burned, but then we did meet some people that we very caring and nice, but most of our friends that we met there we from either the north or california!!! I had heard about the southern way of life and it sounded great, i was really dissapointed in the way it went down, I never felt more judged in my life or so completely of of my element, I am not sure if it is just where we were or not, I am sure there are places that are not like that.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:30 PM

480 posts, read 2,824,108 times
I never left. No need to go back.

Nothing worse than moving away and telling all your friends and family how great it's going to be, only to end up moving back and being in worse financial condition than when you left.

A friend of mine moved from NY to NC. Her cousin had told her that NC was wonderful, and that Charlotte was "just like a real city".

Had she stayed in NY, she would have been getting incremental raises each year. Now she's stuck having to explain to a potential employer why she went to NC. I can almost hear it now... "If you couldn't handle it in NC, what makes you think you're capable of working in NYC, especially since you failed the first time?" I'm sure she'll come up with something.

Remember: The grass may seem greener on the other side, but grass always grows better over a septic tank.

Last edited by Check123; 09-24-2006 at 09:41 PM..

Old 09-24-2006, 09:34 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,720,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post

The majority of southerners are not like that. That is a flat out lie.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:11 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,303,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
The majority of southerners are not like that. That is a flat out lie.
In my experience in the South it's been true. That's why I said MAYBE it's different in other areas...But it is most certainly true where I'm at. And from reading many other posts in other Southern state forums, it doesn't seem to be all that uncommon.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:59 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,184,106 times
Quote:
I mention the south and my husband goes off on a wild rant, we got burned, but then we did meet some people that we very caring and nice, but most of our friends that we met there we from either the north or california!!! I had heard about the southern way of life and it sounded great, i was really dissapointed in the way it went down, I never felt more judged in my life or so completely of of my element, I am not sure if it is just where we were or not, I am sure there are places that are not like that.
Where were you at and did you stay? A lot of folks are saying the same thing you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.