Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is the heartland?
The Mid-west 40 72.73%
The South 2 3.64%
The Southwest 0 0%
Any rural area 2 3.64%
It's more of an idea than an actual place 11 20.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:25 PM

183 posts, read 459,244 times

Advertisements

I've heard the phrase "heartland" get used quite a bit, both in politics and in music. The best guess I have for the heartland would be the mid-west, but I've heard the phrase being used to describe any rural/small-town area.

I'm curious as to which states or sections of the country you guys think is part of the heartland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,323,074 times
I've always understood it to mean the Midwest or Great Plains states.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:55 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
Fly-over territory aka Midwest

Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,741,352 times
It does not exist. It's just any anonymous idea/place used by politicians and the media.

The South/Midwest do not represent the US anymore than places such as Los Angeles, New York, or Miami.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,461,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It's just any anonymous idea/place used by politicians and the media.
It's a conservative think-tank: The Heartland Institute

Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,574,518 times
From a geographic perspective I believe "Heartland" should probably refer to the central area. I've had a few ideas what would count as "the central area."

#Everything in the Central Time Zones and possibly everything in both Central and Mountain. Central and Mountain are the two "Middle" Time Zones. Although "Central" is probably deemed more "Heartland" as "Mountain" states are largely seen as too "Western" to probably be such.

#A circle extending from the US "Center of Population." How wide that circle should be I'm not sure, but simplified this could mean Missouri and all states that border Missouri. (Missouri is where the center of population is and it borders a large number of states, I think tied for the most borders in fact) This has the disadvantage of cutting out states like Ohio or South Dakota.

#States that do not border Canada, Mexico, or the Ocean. This has the disadvantage of not including Minnesota or North Dakota, generally deemed "Heartland", but including Nevada. (Generally deemed Southwest or "Where American morals go on vacation.") It has the advantage of kind of maybe fitting better what I'd think of as "Heartland Theory" in geopolitical terms.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:19 AM

711 posts, read 1,144,722 times
I would say Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri.

The Midwest.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,196,766 times
The heartland is usually referred to states around the geographic center and major producers of commodities in the US. Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missour. The geographical center is on the Nebraska/Kansas border. Sometimes - Illionois is sometimes referred to with these states as heartland, but even less often are the rest of the midwest.

BTW: The midwest is not fly-over country. That term was deemed by an arrogant journalist.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:23 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,180,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
It does not exist. It's just any anonymous idea/place used by politicians and the media.

The South/Midwest do not represent the US anymore than places such as Los Angeles, New York, or Miami.
Exactly I agree! it means nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
The heartland is usually referred to states around the geographic center and major producers of commodities in the US. Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and Missour. The geographical center is on the Nebraska/Kansas border. Sometimes - Illionois is sometimes referred to with these states as heartland, but even less often are the rest of the midwest.

BTW: The midwest is not fly-over country. That term was deemed by an arrogant journalist.

Yes, it is fly-over territory. Chicago is the only city anybody outside the midwest even remotely cares about.

Like me personally, I couldn't care less about the midwest.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,196,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
Exactly I agree! it means nothing!

Yes, it is fly-over territory. Chicago is the only city anybody outside the midwest even remotely cares about.

Like me personally, I couldn't care less about the midwest.
Although you are completely wrong, it is still an opinion you are entitled to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.