Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 06:55 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times

Advertisements

I have heard it said that a Fish fry is a Midwestern thing but apparently that is not true

From wikipedia- "In the Southern portion of the United States, a fish fry is a family or social gathering, held outdoors or in large halls. At a typical fish fry, quantities of freshwater fish (such as brim, catfish, and bass) available locally are battered and deep fried in cooking oil. The batter usually consists of corn meal, milk or buttermilk, and seasonings. In addition to the fish, hushpuppies (deep fried, seasoned corn dumplings), and cole slaw are served. These events are often potluck affairs, with many or all participants bringing side dishes, beverages, desserts, or otherwise contributing to the event. The world's largest fish fry is held each spring in Paris, Tennessee."

Has anyone ever been to the World's Largest Fish Fry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 09:18 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
A fish fry is very popular in the Upper Midwest and the northern Great Lakes area. The fish fry is quite popular in Door County Wisconsin, which is northeast of Green Bay on the Door Peninsula.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Plains--the fish fry is popular all over the state of Wisconsin. Door County's specialty is the fish boil, a completely different, but equally fabulous meal. Its origins lie in the logging camps that once dotted the shores of the western Great Lakes. Plenty of fish available out of the lake to feed hungry lumberjacks. Into the kettle you'd also throw potatoes and onions. When it was done cooking, you'd throw kerosene into the kettle, light a match, and all the fish oil would burn off.

And yes missymom, it's not just a Midwestern thing. In Western NY where I spent my childhood, it was a Friday night ritual. I believe its origins are are with German Catholics. As you may know, Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays up until the 1960s, but the Friday fish fry tradition carried on after Vatican II.

Every little bar and grill in Western NY would feature Friday night fish fry and of course sell you plenty of beer to wash it down with! Fond memories of my grandmother taking my cousin and me to the little tavern down the street from her apartment for the fish fry! She'd get a nice cold glass of Genny, we'd have Coke.

In the Twin Cities where I live now, there are a few places where you can get fish fry, but it doesn't seem to be rooted in tradition here, it's more of a copy-cat thing, like Cajun food in NYC, barbeque in Salt Lake City. etc. Still tastes good, though!

Last summer we were in northern WI one Friday night, so stopped into one of the ubiquitous taverns that are in every city neighborhood, small town and country crossroads in that state. Enjoyed the fish fry, along with sliced onion and butter on rye bread, a delicacy I was not familiar with. It was delicious with that Point beer on tap! Anybody know the origin of the onion and butter on rye? Do they serve it in your area, or is it only done in that little corner of WI?

Old 07-14-2007, 10:14 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
I had never heard of the Friday Night Fish Fry until we moved to WI last year. They are everywhere out here. Still haven't been to one and don't plan on going but they certainly are popular for the locals.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Plains--the fish fry is popular all over the state of Wisconsin. Door County's specialty is the fish boil, a completely different, but equally fabulous meal. Its origins lie in the logging camps that once dotted the shores of the western Great Lakes. Plenty of fish available out of the lake to feed hungry lumberjacks. Into the kettle you'd also throw potatoes and onions. When it was done cooking, you'd throw kerosene into the kettle, light a match, and all the fish oil would burn off.

And yes missymom, it's not just a Midwestern thing. In Western NY where I spent my childhood, it was a Friday night ritual. I believe its origins are are with German Catholics. As you may know, Catholics didn't eat meat on Fridays up until the 1960s, but the Friday fish fry tradition carried on after Vatican II.

Every little bar and grill in Western NY would feature Friday night fish fry and of course sell you plenty of beer to wash it down with! Fond memories of my grandmother taking my cousin and me to the little tavern down the street from her apartment for the fish fry! She'd get a nice cold glass of Genny, we'd have Coke.

In the Twin Cities where I live now, there are a few places where you can get fish fry, but it doesn't seem to be rooted in tradition here, it's more of a copy-cat thing, like Cajun food in NYC, barbeque in Salt Lake City. etc. Still tastes good, though!

Last summer we were in northern WI one Friday night, so stopped into one of the ubiquitous taverns that are in every city neighborhood, small town and country crossroads in that state. Enjoyed the fish fry, along with sliced onion and butter on rye bread, a delicacy I was not familiar with. It was delicious with that Point beer on tap! Anybody know the origin of the onion and butter on rye? Do they serve it in your area, or is it only done in that little corner of WI?
Yes, a fish boil is the correct way of saying it Those supper clubs in Northern Wisconsin do serve excellent food The only problem is that I have not been there in a few years

Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I have heard it said that a Fish fry is a Midwestern thing but apparently that is not true

From wikipedia- "In the Southern portion of the United States, a fish fry is a family or social gathering, held outdoors or in large halls. At a typical fish fry, quantities of freshwater fish (such as brim, catfish, and bass) available locally are battered and deep fried in cooking oil. The batter usually consists of corn meal, milk or buttermilk, and seasonings. In addition to the fish, hushpuppies (deep fried, seasoned corn dumplings), and cole slaw are served. These events are often potluck affairs, with many or all participants bringing side dishes, beverages, desserts, or otherwise contributing to the event. The world's largest fish fry is held each spring in Paris, Tennessee."

Has anyone ever been to the World's Largest Fish Fry?
Yes! I grew up there and it is now at the fairgrounds. When I was there, they closed off streets downtown and had a carnival like atmosphere.

And btw, great fish and hushpuppies, too.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:37 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
The Friday Night Fish Fry is alive and well here in Maine.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
There are more than a few bars in Chicago that advertise 'Wisconsin fish fry' as a Friday special. Some of it indeed comes from the Catholic tradition of not eating meat on Friday. I know of one in particular that has excellent fried fish, I've had it on more than one occasion.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:05 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
Thank ya'll for your information!

Old 07-16-2007, 12:58 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
I hear so many people arguing that frying anything is strictly a Southern thing. Clearly it is proving to be nationwide. Kinda explains why the nation as a whole has an obesity problem...just gotta take it the extra mile and add the few more grams of fat, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.