Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:22 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,409 times

Advertisements

According to a Shell Executive, we (the United States) could be staring at $5/gallon gas in the U.S if we do not get it together (Brace for $5 gas, Shell exec warns U.S. - UPI.com).

What are your thoughts on this? What can we do together to stop this from happening?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 01:36 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
I think the first thing, as a nation, that we need to do is re-evaluate how we can significantly reduce our consumption of oil. Period. For example, if a larger percentage of travelers dumped their gas guzzlers and started driving fuel efficient vehicles, that would save thousands of gallons right off the top. Then, start thinking about way to share ride to reduce the number of vehicles on the road. Yes, the options suck. I personally prefer to drive solo any time, any day .. but, realistically, sharing a ride makes more common sense.

We should not be focusing on how we can prevent the cost from going up - lets face it, the cost will be going up. There is no changing that. Eventually, the inevitable will happen. We need to start changing our habits, forcing our cities to re-visit better commuting options and suck it up before we get hit with the real sticker shock.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 PM

719 posts, read 2,667,132 times
Encourage use of public transit.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Good thing I moved to be only 10 miles away from work.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
Don't really care about it, besides the fact that food prices will probably go up as well. I don't own a car and don't plan to, even though I can afford it, public transportation here is good and in some cases faster than the car. For those people who drive big trucks and SUVs... well thats their choice so screw them.. let them pay for that expensive gas out of their own pockets.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:54 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,022,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Don't really care about it, besides the fact that food prices will probably go up as well. I don't own a car and don't plan to, even though I can afford it, public transportation here is good and in some cases faster than the car. For those people who drive big trucks and SUVs... well thats their choice so screw them.. let them pay for that expensive gas out of their own pockets.
Unfortunately, transit options are not available enough throughout the nation, and having a vehicle to commute is a non-option for too many people until we can convince our cities to expand the public system more.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
According to a Shell Executive, we (the United States) could be staring at $5/gallon gas in the U.S if we do not get it together (Brace for $5 gas, Shell exec warns U.S. - UPI.com).

What are your thoughts on this? What can we do together to stop this from happening?
What are you all paying now? I got gas this afternoon and it was $2.89 for regular.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:04 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,595 times
I paid $2.95 for regular earlier today in central Dallas.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:13 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
Gasoline usage in the US actually reached its peak a few years ago, and has been in slight decline. But demand from the rest of the world continues to rise, which will push prices higher.

That's probably just inevitable. Gasoline will get more expensive over time no matter what. So, if this will be a problem, start saving up now. Downsize your vehicle if it consumes more fuel than you might be able to afford at higher prices. Think about motorcycles, perhaps. There are some highly fuel-efficient ones on the market these days, especially if you ride with fuel efficiency in mind.

But it is hardly the end of the world. Regular unleaded fuel costs between $6 and $8 per gallon throughout most of Western Europe, even in rural areas where public transit is limited or non-existent. But people get by.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM

276 posts, read 433,041 times
Encourage cities/counties to to build out there public transit systems, and for the bigger MSAs it needs to be heavy rail and commuter rail, not streetcars or light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.