Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,771 times

Advertisements

Currently we live in Boone, NC, a small college town, while he finishes up his Master's in classical guitar. We are looking to move in the summer (we absolutely love Boone, but we feel we need to get out of the town), though we are having some trouble deciding where.

We have a couple ideas: Brattleboro, VT and Ashland, OR.

We like both areas just based on what we hear about them and have been to neither. Has anyone been to these areas? Any impressions? Are there any other towns out there that may be similar?

The main negative I hear about VT is that it snows a lot, but after living in the mountains for so long we have become quite accustomed to winter weather. We also enjoy small towns and don't really feel we would enjoy big cities the much. Unfortunately, there seems to be no jobs in the small towns, and as a current member of the unemployed, this could be a problem (though really no where has jobs, as far as I can tell).

I recently graduated with a Sustainable Development degree, so Oregon would hopefully be a good place for that. I also have a big interest in art and painting and have been looking into pursuing these as a career. My boyfriend is looking into teaching music.

Does anyone know of small towns that would be good for us? A preference would be for the West, though we are open to anywhere really. I think we are steering away from the South, though.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 12:34 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,318 times
Detroit is beginning to pick up with a lot of underground arts/paintings from the youth and with it's cheap housing, most artist are able to live in homes or loft/apartments.

Check out these these links and see if anything interest you about Detroit and it's future.
Model D Home -- Detroit's Online News Magazine
UCCA | University Cultural Center Association

Old 01-09-2011, 02:52 PM

28 posts, read 34,123 times
Yes, Ithaca, NY is a good place. Small town with big town amenities (Shopping, things to do, etc.) Also located in Ithaca is Cornell University. Ithaca is a green, artsy, liberal town.

Ann Arbor could also work. It does have a population of 114,000, but it is a very musical, artsy town as well. With the University of Michigan being located there, I am pretty sure you'd be able to find a job. Also, Ann Arbor is a very eco-friendly place, so finding a job within your field shouldn't be too difficult.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,771 times
We actually were half joking about the idea of Detroit, but I think it would scare our parents too much.

I hadn't thought of New York or Michigan, and both Ithaca and Ann Arbor sound like really nice towns. I especially like the idea of an Ecovillage. Does anyone know of an Ecovillage that will do rentals? Maybe one that isn't too uber-hippy. I'm a self-declared hippy myself, though sometimes I'm afraid that Ecovillages will only attract a certain kind of person, and I think it would be kind of boring being surrounded by people that are all just like me.

Any place maybe in the Pacific Northwest?

Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Classical guitar? Sustainable Development? Good luck.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:23 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
I would check out Burlington, VT. It seems perfect for you.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:10 AM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,516 times
I'd check out Bend, OR; Asheville, NC and Burlington, VT.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Classical guitar? Sustainable Development? Good luck.
Despite your trollish remark, "green jobs" and teaching are still in fair demand.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Brattleboro and Burlington, VT would be great options for you with an edge to Burlington, which reads like a small town but with bigger city amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.