Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 PM

162 posts, read 388,831 times

Advertisements

anymore~~*sigh*.

We bought property in Central TX on lake Travis years ago and before we could build, the drought hit hard. We sold the property and that was truly the main reason for moving to TX at the time.

Looking for another state with as many of the *we are looking for* as we can find...IF possible! LOL

We would like a lake *view* b/c lake front will be too expensive...anywhere.

Not too humid, mild winters, warm springs, hot summers and cool/warm fall.

A LOT of trees and a variety of them if possible, but a lot of variety is not a must if it only really exists in colder climates lol.

Constant level recreational lake is what we are really looking for!

California and TX is out...been there done that LOL

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
Um what exactly is Lake View but not Lake Front? You mean like you want a house in a mountain or on a hill that you can see a lake? I know here in Florida you're either Lake Front or your not going to see the Lake from your property.

Do you just mean real close to a lake?

Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,876,110 times
What is "hot" though?

I would suggest Minnesota, Missouri (Lake of the Ozarks) but it doesn't really work with your climate/humid request.

Washington would've been another suggestion-- but it's more cold.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoManyPlaces View Post
anymore~~*sigh*.

We bought property in Central TX on lake Travis years ago and before we could build, the drought hit hard. We sold the property and that was truly the main reason for moving to TX at the time.

Looking for another state with as many of the *we are looking for* as we can find...IF possible! LOL

We would like a lake *view* b/c lake front will be too expensive...anywhere.

Not too humid, mild winters, warm springs, hot summers and cool/warm fall.

A LOT of trees and a variety of them if possible, but a lot of variety is not a must if it only really exists in colder climates lol.

Constant level recreational lake is what we are really looking for!

California and TX is out...been there done that LOL

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Try North Georgia around Lake Lanier (Georgia Lakeside Resort: Lake Lanier Islands Resort in Georgia) or Lake Burton (ABOUT LAKE BURTON). Also, try Lake Hartwell in Northeast GA (Beautiful Lake Hartwell).

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Central Florida (Orlando metro area) is very good for affordable lakefront property. You can hardly drive a mile without seeing a lake. It meets all of your criteria except the humid part. Winters here are mild and beautiful.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,061,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Central Florida (Orlando metro area) is very good for affordable lakefront property. You can hardly drive a mile without seeing a lake. It meets all of your criteria except the humid part. Winters here are mild and beautiful.
Name one road in Orlando that you can see a lake without being on the lake.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,471,833 times
Lake Cumberland, Ky.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:38 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,682 times
You have quite the list of requirements and have already ruled out 2 of the very few places that would satisfy all of them.

Give up the humidity requirement and take a look around in northeast Florida. The humidity is only bothersome for a few months. The rest of the year you'll appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM

162 posts, read 388,831 times
So sorry, did not receive notice of this post that I recall! I am a little late in responding .

Yes, not lakefront property as in waterfrontage, but up above without direct access to the water...iow; where we will need to trailer the boat to the community boat ramp.

That type of property is so much less expensive of course and we want a few acres at least so a compromise had to be made: more land OR lakefront. We choose more land LOL

The difficult part is determining where we can go with not so humid summers but still really nice (68-70°) nights during summer, and summer being at least 3 months, (prefereably more) of 80°-90° days.

I know this is likely nearly impossible and I am asking too much, but I would like to get close...my husband would prefer winters above 40° as well...*that* seems to be my problem, but I have not covered every lake in every state that is below the freezing winter line that has a very nice mountain range near by.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Um what exactly is Lake View but not Lake Front? You mean like you want a house in a mountain or on a hill that you can see a lake? I know here in Florida you're either Lake Front or your not going to see the Lake from your property.

Do you just mean real close to a lake?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,522 times
Dude! You pretty much summed up Chicago. Take a visit! Best Lake-view you could possibly hope for!! ....but then there's the winters But I find it more bearable than winter in east coast cities, even if Chicago is colder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.