Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is ideal living arrangement?
Highrise Condo 18 19.57%
Townhome 19 20.65%
House in the Burbs 29 31.52%
Rural Ranch 26 28.26%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:22 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times

Advertisements

Well, I thought I would get a general idea of what your ideal living arrangement would be. Are you a suburban type person? Do you want to live in a high rise with a great view? Do you like town homes with a urban feel to them? Or do you like the rural lifestyle?

Mine is a town home in a wonderful are of a city. I don't care about a yard (although a deck in the back wouldn't be bad. I like some character to the house and hardwood floors is a must. Also, I personally like the brick, traditional look although a Victorian style older home wouldn't be bad either.

Modcut: violation of rules for posting images

Last edited by JMT; 02-02-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:29 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
irwin--I really liked your picture #1--that's definitely more my style than #2. Where is #1, is it DC?

I like the arrangement I have, too. It's a 1930s house with a small city lot. We and most neighbors have done lots of planting on our lots. We have alleys on most blocks in the neighborhood, and the city plants and maintains boulevard trees on each street, making nice shady sidewalks. The canopy is so thick that unless it is absolutely pouring, I don't get wet when walking the 2 1/2 blocks home from the bus stop after work on rainy afternoons.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I just like a nice house in the suburbs. Character doesn't matter, "charm" doesn't matter. A nice, newer home preferably 2400-2800 sq. ft. with a patio and a VIEW! I need a view of something as long as it's not of a bunch of buildings. I don't want a view of a bunch of high-rises, I'd much rather have a view of the mountains or a golf course; ANYTHING as long as I'm not looking a buildings.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:00 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
Pic #1 definitely looks like DC. I would choose that sort of home in a flash over anything else.

For whatever reason though, when I hear "townhouse", I think of suburban developments with names like "Evergreen Mill", whereas I tend to classify urban townhouses like those pictures as "rowhouses". I'm not sure if there's an actual difference though.

I would arrange my choices as:

1) Townhouse - but only in the urban sense
2) High rise condo
3) House in the burbs - it'd have to be a home with some character, perhaps in an older suburb though, not like the pic #2
4) Rural ranch - mostly due to the fact that I wouldn't want to live in a rural area period

Old 07-16-2007, 08:39 PM

First one is definitely Washington. I believe it is just off Dupont.

As far as the difference between a townhome and a rowhome; well...I would use the term townhome for any home in the city that is not a traditional ranch style home like our very unloved #2 picture. Normally I think of rowhomes as sharing a walls (like those in the picture), then you have semi-detached, etc.

I don't like these as much but I would definitely consider them townhomes.

Here's one in Atlanta I like a lot.
http://images4.gabriels.net/atlanta/fmls/photos/3448091_0.jpg (broken link)
I think it's more of a townhome rather than a rowhouse.

So much better when you don't have a big ugly garage on the front. Why in the world did they start designing houses like that?

Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
Quote:
Why in the world did they start designing houses like that?
Plain and simple; it's convenient.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Plain and simple; it's convenient.
I am sure it would be convenient to have a toilet in the corner of every room as well. No thanks.

I think it's mainly done because it is easy to design (no originality) and easy to build.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM

dullnboring--
"I think of suburban developments with names like "Evergreen Mill"..."

Just an aside, but have you ever noticed how developers name their projects after the feature(s) they have decimated? A place called Evergreen Mill would be built at the site of an old mill in the midst of a pine forest. Only the developer would've demolished the mill, clear cut the forest and in its place put "townhouses" perched at the edge of a vast bleak parking lot, whose entrance (cars only please) is marked by a brick "gate" with a cheesy image of a waterwheel on it surrounded by a few six-foot perfectly coiffed arborvitae.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I am sure it would be convenient to have a toilet in the corner of every room as well. No thanks.

I think it's mainly done because it is easy to design (no originality) and easy to build.
Good one, irwin! But unfortunately, I think Speedy is right. In large segments of American culture, convenience trumps aesthetics every time.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
ranch out in the country would be my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.