Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 03:56 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,905,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think the poster is confusing all latins with mexicans. I have found blacks and latins to coexist much better in the east than they do in the west
Very true. I always shocked by my friends from Cali who would talk about that. Over on this side we live in the same neighborhoods and interact on a daily basis without any trouble...for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:03 PM

13,687 posts, read 15,595,539 times
So, where is the chart that shows where these black people moving to each metro are coming from. Being that I went to school at the University of Alabama 06' and I'm from D.C. and came back to D.C., I know for a fact from being down there that most of the black people moving to Atlanta are coming from other southern states. Some are coming from NYC etc. but most are coming from surrounding southern states as well as southern Georgia. D.C. has way has more black people living in it's radius than ATL. Remember, B,more and D.C. are 30 minutes from each other and share suburbs. They separate the two metro's 15 minutes north of D.C. and 15 minutes south of Baltimore. You do the math!

Last edited by MDAllstar; 01-14-2011 at 05:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2011, 05:06 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,320,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
LOL, some blacks in Dallas don't really care about their education. (I went to school with alot of Black people who act like that) I am trying to be one of those educated blacks.

You, me and millions more!

Old 01-14-2011, 05:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,720,281 times
I wonder if the Raleigh numbers include Durham? The census unfortunatley has Durahm and Raleigh as seperate MSAs, even though they're only 30 minutes apart. Durham is where many African-Americans in that area live. I wouldn't be surprised if Raleigh's number is actually under represented here...

Old 01-14-2011, 05:53 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,587,501 times
Anybody else notice that Philadelphia's black population increased? It appears that Philadelphia and Baltimore are the only Northern industrial cities to grow their black population in the last 10 years. (Washington DC isn't really "industrial.")

Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,939,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internal Breathing Fire View Post
Mexican Mafia......
This. I hear the Aryan Brotherhood and the Mexican Mafia have an alliance against the Black Guerilla Family out there and it's getting pretty nasty.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,779,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Anybody else notice that Philadelphia's black population increased?
Yeah the Fresh Prince and his peeps moved back to West Philly

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,720,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
The graph with the percentages of blacks with bachelors degrees shows who really is the true black capitol of America. Washington D.C. not only has the richest per capita Black Americans but the most educated, passing San Jose which has less than 70,000 blacks in its metro area and is a niche technical market for blacks. Raleigh and Nashville are pleasant surprises both passing Atlanta in educational attainment this decade. Although Atlanta also gained in percentages of educated blacks it seems like they are receiving a lot more quantity over Quality. I know a lot of people with not even a high school degree who moved to Atlanta and Charlotte and I thought they were crazy but it seems to be the trend. On the other hand Raleigh's not that much of a surprise being that its one of D.C. cousin cities. Nashville is the real surprise gaining over five percentage points in bachelor's degree attainment amongst blacks surpassing D.C. in numerical gains.
waronxmas made some good points about %'s vs. #'s. As well, you'll see from this link that considering how large the overall metro area is, Nashville actually has a fairly small black population; with fewer blacks than places like Columbia, Greensboro and Jackson..Link to Black Metro Populations: Black African American Demographics Population

Old 01-14-2011, 07:29 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,939,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
waronxmas made some good points about %'s vs. #'s. As well, you'll see from this link that considering how large the overall metro area is, Nashville actually has a fairly small black population; with fewer blacks than places like Columbia, Greensboro and Jackson..Link to Black Metro Populations: Black African American Demographics Population
I'm surprised Miami's % of AA's is so high.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:57 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,694,465 times
I guess i'm surprised that anyone is surprised by any of this. The 'reverse' black migration has been going on for many many years, all for the reason so many here have already cited--loss of jobs in the rustbelt, easing of racial tensions in many parts of the south, lower cost of living, newer better cheaper housing, etc. I grew up in New Jersey (metro NYC) and of all my high school friends, precisely one has stuck around--and he was in Florida for years before marrying a NY girl and moving back. I, OTOH, was the stereotypcial suburban kid who couldn't wait to leave home for the big city, which I did as quickly as I could. And the big city NEVER meant Atlanta!

Last edited by citylove101; 01-14-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.