Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times

Advertisements

Climate-wise I might think the Pacific Northwest. Tillamook County, Oregon looks to have a decent percent of Episcopalians while also being largely secular.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../episcopal.gif
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif
//www.city-data.com/county/Till...County-OR.html

Culturally I might guess coastal Maine as they have some of the most English-descended, non-Mormon, towns in the US. York, Maine looks to be around 25.5% English descended and is named for a place in England. The smaller town of Milbridge, Maine is listed as over 40% English-descended.

//www.city-data.com/city/York-Maine.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Milbridge-Maine.html

Also maybe some parts of Virginia, if you're open to more traditional old-fashioned England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene45 View Post
Is there a region in the U.S. that has....
a) the same general climate as Britain
b) looks like england (green with deciduous or mixed forest and rolling hills)
c) towns/villages/cities/communities that feel like england in any way.

?????????

thank you,
James
I don't think you'll find all three of those qualities in one single U.S. region. For the first two, perhaps parts of the Pacific Northwest; for the third, maybe some of the older towns in New England.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:20 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
If only you can stick Boston's metro area on the coast of Washington state.

Manchester, NH gets my vote anyway.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,971 times
Never been to London but I've heard some people compare Boston to Dublin, which I know is not the same as London but would probably give you more of that European feel I think.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:05 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
You're right, the Willamette Valley does share a similar landscape. I must have overlooked that. I just think as a whole, the western sections of Oregon and Washington are going to be more mountainous instead of rolling hills. Echoing the same sort of sentiments that BPerone201 expressed, I think if you could plop Boston and some New England villages down in the Willamette Valley, you'd have as close to England as you could find in the U.S.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
If you're looking for a city vibe and overall feel your best bet would be Boston. If you're looking at rural geography and weather specifically, as pointed out the Pacific Northwest would best meet your criteria.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,168,736 times
Boston is the most English in feel of the major American cities, in its culture, architecture, and general layout. Neighborhoods like Beacon Hill, Back Bay, the South End, Charlestown, and Cambridge certainly evoke parts of London.

New England is culturally the closest to Britain that I have experienced among the U.S. regions, although as noted it differs in terms of its somewhat less rainy climate with greater temperature extremes, and a considerably more heavily forested landscape (less farmland).

The towns themselves were however designed with a certain English sensibility, built around village greens for example. The oldest towns in New England are most reminiscent of the Mother Country; some notable examples are Marblehead, MA, Newburyport, MA, Ipswich, MA, Salem, MA, Concord, MA, Sandwich, MA, Newport, RI, Wickford, RI, Mystic, CT, Portsmouth, NH, Kennebunkport, ME, Damariscotta, ME, and Camden, ME, among many others.

Vermont often reminds me of Britain with its New England style villages, green rolling hills, and pastureland, although it is still much more highly forested than most of the UK.

Certainly the Hudson Valley and other parts of Upstate New York are strong contenders for resembling the English landscape, as well as areas of Pennsylvania.

The Pacific Northwest most closely resembles Britain in terms of climate.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
My stepdad has lived in England and said it looks like the Willamette Valley.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:37 PM

165 posts, read 530,226 times
Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia has a stately ambiance reminiscent of historical England, including the costumed craftsmen, architecture, and the many wares for sale in the gift shops, old Episcopal churches, and the names of communities in the area identical to English town and county names.

All 6 of the New England states, as well as the Tidewater Virginia region, have many town and place names identical to English counties and towns, and the speech accent traditionally is non-rhotic. Although relatively few New Englanders today have British ancestry (most come from other ethnic groups).

Last edited by slowlane2; 01-15-2011 at 03:48 PM..

Old 01-15-2011, 03:49 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,125,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
You're right, the Willamette Valley does share a similar landscape. I must have overlooked that. I just think as a whole, the western sections of Oregon and Washington are going to be more mountainous instead of rolling hills. Echoing the same sort of sentiments that BPerone201 expressed, I think if you could plop Boston and some New England villages down in the Willamette Valley, you'd have as close to England as you could find in the U.S.
Parts of the Oregon Coast kinda resemble Scotland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.