Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:24 PM

176 posts, read 533,492 times

Advertisements

I don't want a big city feel. We both like the laid back feel, with plenty to do close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM

Which housing market is high. Is Charleston high?

Old 07-18-2007, 08:32 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,340,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgean View Post
What about Charleston? Is that city growing or moving backwards? I do like the more rural feel, that's why I thought i might like Alabama or South Carolina better.
Charleston when I was there seemed to me like it was growing, probably generally due to the fact that it is a popular tourist attraction and appears to be starting to take the atmosphere of a college-town. Saw lots of other college students like myself down there when I was there. But other than that it looked like a Southeastern coastal city stuck in time...very easy-going, laid-back, relaxed, and the architecture is ancient. It is a perfect city for a vacation. It does not seem to have the same "boom-effect" to it that places like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Birmingham, and Nashville are under-going. Charleston honestly to me seems to be like a very big Southern town. Places like Savannah are comparable to Charleston, although I suspect Savannah might be doing better. I'm not sure of the pricing....I wouldn't imagine it to be incredibly expensive, but this is coming from the perception of an outsider. Given how big a tourist attraction it is it could be expensive. Some of the houses I saw near the area where Fort Sumter is looked like they cost a fortune.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Atlanta is to big. Birmingham seems to be worth looking into.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:38 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,894,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
North Carolina is much more mountainous at least in its western areas than South Carolina. I've never been to Eastern North Carolina, farthest east I've been in North Carolina is basically the longitude of the I-77 corridor. Does it look like South Carolina? And yes, I should've phrased that better....South Carolina being more rural in nature, by that I meant its cities are much smaller, most of them came across to me as being mere towns when compared to the ones in North Carolina.
You should definately check out NC east of I-77. Some great BBQ!
The city that I'm most familiar with is Charleston (since I live in its suburbs) and I will tell you that it sure doesnt feel like a "mere town" Dont let the fact that we don't have skyscrapers fool you. There's plenty to do here-and not just the city proper.
But you are right, SC cities are not as large as NC ones.
Raleigh metro-1.5 mill
Charlotte-1.5 mill
Charleston-.6 mill
Columbia .7 mill Columbia, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-18-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgean View Post
Which housing market is high. Is Charleston high?
Housing prices vary throughout the metro but I would recommend Summerville, Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, or even Goose Creek for some pretty good deals-cheap compared to much of the country for such a location.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Charleston when I was there seemed to me like it was growing, probably generally due to the fact that it is a popular tourist attraction and appears to be starting to take the atmosphere of a college-town. Saw lots of other college students like myself down there when I was there. But other than that it looked like a Southeastern coastal city stuck in time...very easy-going, laid-back, relaxed, and the architecture is ancient. It is a perfect city for a vacation. It does not seem to have the same "boom-effect" to it that places like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Birmingham, and Nashville are under-going. Charleston honestly to me seems to be like a very big Southern town. Places like Savannah are comparable to Charleston, although I suspect Savannah might be doing better. I'm not sure of the pricing....I wouldn't imagine it to be incredibly expensive, but this is coming from the perception of an outsider. Given how big a tourist attraction it is it could be expensive. Some of the houses I saw near the area where Fort Sumter is looked like they cost a fortune.
OK, Downtown Charleston has strived to maintain that feel but it is not reflective of the metro area. Your right-its not the boom town like Dallas or Atlanta but since when did the poster say these were qualifications?
You suspect Savannah is doing better? You lost alot of credibility with that. Savannah is much smaller and has much less economic opportunity.

Also your "stuck in time big southern town" is growing. Over 100,000 new homes are planned in the metro area.
Your statement "Some of the houses I saw near the area where Fort Sumter is looked like they cost a fortune" shows that you are only judgeing downtown! No one moves there because of its small size and yes that area is expensive as hell. Please don't zoom through to the historical downtown and then give the entire area a bad review to live in.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
You should definately check out NC east of I-77. Some great BBQ!
The city that I'm most familiar with is Charleston (since I live in its suburbs) and I will tell you that it sure doesnt feel like a "mere town" Dont let the fact that we don't have skyscrapers fool you. There's plenty to do here-and not just the city proper.
But you are right, SC cities are not as large as NC ones.
Raleigh metro-1.5 mill
Charlotte-1.5 mill
Charleston-.6 mill
Columbia .7 mill Columbia, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ok...sorry...maybe I guess I'm not qualified to judge what is a town and what isn't given I'm from St. Louis, among the 20 largest cities in the U.S., so I guess it shouldn't come as a shock that to me Charleston would feel like a town.....you are right, it is not a town...I was making a comparison basically to cities in North Carolina. Columbia and Charleston are definitely cities though (Columbia has three interstate highways running through it

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
OK, Downtown Charleston has strived to maintain that feel but it is not reflective of the metro area. Your right-its not the boom town like Dallas or Atlanta but since when did the poster say these were qualifications?
You suspect Savannah is doing better? You lost alot of credibility with that. Savannah is much smaller and has much less economic opportunity.

Also your "stuck in time big southern town" is growing. Over 100,000 new homes are planned in the metro area.
Your statement "Some of the houses I saw near the area where Fort Sumter is looked like they cost a fortune" shows that you are only judgeing downtown! No one moves there because of its small size and yes that area is expensive as hell. Please don't zoom through to the historical downtown and then give the entire area a bad review to live in.

OK...OK...you obviously know what you are talking about better than me. I've only been to Charleston one time and I guess I was speaking from the perception of a tourist....maybe I should let the residents there do the talking instead of me

Old 07-18-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:

I never called the "Boom-effect" a qualification...I just merely thought I'd point it out....it's up to the poster to decide whether or not they see this as good or bad....I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing to have or not have it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.