Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston hasn't annexed any land in the past 17 years.

Kingwood, Texas was the last town to be annexed adding a whopping 15,000 people to the millions in Houston already.
You sound just like that other poster trying to make the claim that annexation wasn't a key factor in the city's population growth. Give me a break.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Who's to say that Houston doesn't have another decade like the 1980's? I mean, if we are to extrapolate the past 4 decades then there were three decades of growth and one of decline.

That one decade of decline means that Houston will never catch LA. It's possible but not probable to catch Chicago.
That was before Houston's economy became as diverse as it is now.

We have a thing called "green energy" nowadays.

Besides oil & energy there is medical, aerospace, finance, high tech, & last but not least the enormous amount of trade that does on through the Port of Houston.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:24 PM

555 posts, read 714,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That was before Houston's economy became as diverse as it is now.

We have a thing called "green energy" nowadays.

Besides oil & energy there is medical, aerospace, finance, high tech, & last but not least the enormous amount of trade that does on through the Port of Houston.
But if your argument involves passing LA, Greater LA has ALL of these things as well, and then some! I have no doubt that the Houston CSA will surpass the Chicago CSA in our lifetimes, the city proper will definitely surpass Chicago city because of the lax Texas annexation laws that allow Houston to have an endless sea of suburbia inside its city limits. Also Chicago's growth is pretty much stagnant, even metro Chicago's growth is pitiful at best. But surpassing Los Angeles? No way. Los Angeles is growing quickly as well, and is VASTLY larger in population. The LA CSA is over 17 million, catching up to NYC's 22 million pretty fast. Houston, fast as it may be growing, can't even touch that. Also Los Angeles is making massive infrastructure investments in heavy rail and commuter lines, and California is building a high speed rail system. The added density that will allow in the core of Los Angeles will be astounding, pushing its city proper up very very high. I might hate on LA's sprawl, but as an economic engine it is a giant. Los Angeles county, were it a state would be larger in population than all but 8 states. Also the Port of Long Beach and LA is one of the busiest ports in the world, and it will only grow as it will be one of the ports of choice with the boom from Asia.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:58 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
I can agree to what Fork3000 said, Houston will not catch LA unless something catastrophic happens out west, and I pray that never happens. Houston is a growing beast and will continue to become a major player in the U.S economy. I said it before Houston will become the Nation's 3rd largest city someday.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
But if your argument involves passing LA, Greater LA has ALL of these things as well, and then some! I have no doubt that the Houston CSA will surpass the Chicago CSA in our lifetimes, the city proper will definitely surpass Chicago city because of the lax Texas annexation laws that allow Houston to have an endless sea of suburbia inside its city limits. Also Chicago's growth is pretty much stagnant, even metro Chicago's growth is pitiful at best..

Never count Chicago out. Sure it is transitioning, and has hit a rough patch, but Chicago has a certain Phoenix-like ability to recover from its periodic funk. It's sort of like a snake that sheds its skin every once in awhile.

The seeds of a future Chicago boom are being laid for anyone to see. Jobs moving from the suburbs back to the city, along with the festest growing downtown population. I see this process accelerating in the coming decades. So much so that the urban core of Chicago will start to become its own source of growth, a virtual cycle. If this comes to pass, don't be surprised that the city's population starts to grow, and actually grow pretty quickly as the downtown becomes a massive population center.

"Within two miles of City Hall, Chicago had the largest population increase of any major urban area over the past decade, from 133,426 to 181,714, an increase of 36 percent (New York's grew by 37,422)."

http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...s-and-Shrinks/

If this city/state can solve their fiscal/education/crime issues...I see nothing stopping Chicago from adding surprisingly large numbers of new residents.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:13 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
But if your argument involves passing LA, Greater LA has ALL of these things as well, and then some! I have no doubt that the Houston CSA will surpass the Chicago CSA in our lifetimes, the city proper will definitely surpass Chicago city because of the lax Texas annexation laws that allow Houston to have an endless sea of suburbia inside its city limits. Also Chicago's growth is pretty much stagnant, even metro Chicago's growth is pitiful at best. But surpassing Los Angeles? No way. Los Angeles is growing quickly as well, and is VASTLY larger in population. The LA CSA is over 17 million, catching up to NYC's 22 million pretty fast. Houston, fast as it may be growing, can't even touch that. Also Los Angeles is making massive infrastructure investments in heavy rail and commuter lines, and California is building a high speed rail system. The added density that will allow in the core of Los Angeles will be astounding, pushing its city proper up very very high. I might hate on LA's sprawl, but as an economic engine it is a giant. Los Angeles county, were it a state would be larger in population than all but 8 states. Also the Port of Long Beach and LA is one of the busiest ports in the world, and it will only grow as it will be one of the ports of choice with the boom from Asia.
I don't think we will ever see the Houston CSA surpass the Chicago CSA in our lifetimes. Chicago would have to completely self-destruct in order for that to happen. The Chicago CSA is nearly 10 million while the Houston CSA barely reaches over 6 million. Growth rates eventually slow down as cities and suburbs becomes more populated. I don't understand why people think Houston is magically immune from this.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
The problem is California is growing pretty rapidly too. They got hit with the dot com bust and the housing bubble, but now they have finally shaken that off after a decade and are growing again pretty vigorously. Sure the percentage gains aren't as high, but the numerical gains are really similar just check the 2012 census estimates. California is HUGE, economically diverse, the center of world technology, world entertainment, etc. Texas can never build mountains, varied climates, Central Valley, Redwood forests, Yosemite, etc etc. California also is a massive oil producer. California is situated for the trade with Asian nations which will be booming over the next century more than anywhere else. Need I go on? So sorry, the future is not "in Texas," nor is it even in California either. They will continue to be two rapidly growing states with large populations. Texas can never build the things California has, and even what they build still isn't comparable. Detroit has been losing population for a half a century, that just isn't the case with Cali. Texas is a cool place, it has awesome cities with great future, but Texas isn't and never will be what California is. Sorry.
California is doing better now, but Southern California is dying. A prosperous north subsidizes a south that's a basket case.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM

555 posts, read 714,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
California is doing better now, but Southern California is dying. A prosperous north subsidizes a south that's a basket case.
I mean everything is relative. In Cali "dying" is like not growing super fast. Most of the Midwest would kill for the growth rates of SoCal. But yes, Northern California does seem to be outpacing SoCal for the time being.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I think that we can all agree that it's only a matter of time when Houston should pass Chicago in city population considering nothing freakish happens in the future. My question is do you think that Houston has the potential to pass up LA in the future in city population? Before giving a NO answer consider the city zoning in Houston, scarcity of water out west, and also consider how much more undeveloped land remains in Houston, add these three to the equation and I myself believe that Houston can very well rise to the #2 position. If Houston densifies (which is inevitable IMO) and the zoning doesn't change I believe Houston should pass LA in the next 60 yrs., what do you guys think?
I don't really consider it a New York, Chicago, even Miami level city. No.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
True

It is large, but its not as large as Houston & Galveston's ports.

The Port of Houston ranks #1 in foreign tonnage & 2nd only to Southern Louisiana domestically. Texas has some of the largest sea ports in the nation, even larger than California's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._United_States

As you can see, Long Beach ranks 4th & Los Angeles ranks down the list at 13th.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.