Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:18 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times

Advertisements

I could not believe how big Houston is. It took me almost an hour to drive through it. I was so proud of myself for making it. Texas has very different looks for different parts of the state. We have just discovered the real Texas. We went to the Alamo last October. I loved it.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:20 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Houston boosters will make the city reach the number number 2 spot just to brag that Texas houses the second most populous city in the country. It's the Texas way. I wouldn't be surprised if more annexations along with migration pushes Houston over 3 million in the next 30 years or so.

That said, Houston is at risk for a hurricane, which could have the same emptying effect that Katrina had with New Orleans. Additionally, no matter how many people Houston adds, it will not replace Chicago or Los Angeles in importance. Chicago has simply been a hub for the middle of the country for too long to be replaced by Houston. Los Angeles in the center of the entertainment industry and that will not change either.

Houston having more people than LA or Chicago will hold the same significance that San Antonio having more people than San Francisco, Denver, or Seattle has. Really, little to none.
Well I think it can already be argued that Houston is up there with LA and Chicago in importance. It already plays a huge part in Energy/Oil, Aeronautics, Manufacturing, and trade.

I don't get why people keep overlooking Houston's huge economic power and continue to downplay the city as some backwards stagnant small town. Houston easily is the leader in the south as far as economic power. [I don't care what you ATLiens, Dallasities, and Miamians say; you have yet to prove your points why your cities are just as important as Houston].

Old 01-22-2011, 10:29 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
How many Houston becoming the 3rd largest city threads can there reasonably be? Seriously . . .

Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
How many Houston becoming the 3rd largest city threads can there reasonably be? Seriously . . .

The title of this thread is "Houston 2nd Largest City in the U.S. in the Future". This may be a reality sooner than later.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Houston boosters will make the city reach the number number 2 spot just to brag that Texas houses the second most populous city in the country. It's the Texas way. I wouldn't be surprised if more annexations along with migration pushes Houston over 3 million in the next 30 years or so.

That said, Houston is at risk for a hurricane, which could have the same emptying effect that Katrina had with New Orleans. Additionally, no matter how many people Houston adds, it will not replace Chicago or Los Angeles in importance. Chicago has simply been a hub for the middle of the country for too long to be replaced by Houston. Los Angeles in the center of the entertainment industry and that will not change either.

Houston having more people than LA or Chicago will hold the same significance that San Antonio having more people than San Francisco, Denver, or Seattle has. Really, little to none.
Houston had a major flood & hurricane. We made it through both with flying colors.

I'd be more concerned with a major earthquake in California before any natural disasters in Texas. California is doomed its just a matter of when not if.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Seriously, why the seeming desperation for 2nd or 3rd city status??

Old 01-22-2011, 10:52 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
I'm looking at the big picture. It confuses me that you throw in the threat of LA running out of water while ignoring that Houston has just as high of a chance of being heavily damaged by a hurricane.

Also, I'm confused about what influence zoning has over population growth. Zoning will not limit how big Houston gets. The only thing that will limit the size of Houston will get is if it the city is eventually boxed in by suburbs and experiences build out within the city. That won't happen ANYTIME soon, so I do not see any limitations to Houston's growth potential.
Let me guess?

That's why you got the Sam Hell outta Miami?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I think something people are missing is that the more people, the more services are needed or are requested for the city/area. So, will the cost of living and doing business be the same in the future? That is something people have to think about, as taxes in Texas are higher than people realize and cost of living would increase if the population increases. It could also be an issue of sprawling city limits and more costs to maintain a bigger area and the possible increase in gas prices either by costs to people or in terms of straight prices.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-22-2011 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-22-2011, 11:20 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,695 times
If and when Houston gets to 3rd, then they can start talking about 2nd.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Seriously, why the seeming desperation for 2nd or 3rd city status??

I do not think there is any desperation for 2nd or 3rd status. I think it is that more people are actually surprised at how populated Houston has become. I think it brings out some insecurities of other areas of the country to have Houston ranked above the Big 3 in the U.S. on any level. Does anyone remember how Houston and Texas were portrayed when Houston passed up Philadelphia to become the 4th largest city? Political cartoons were drawn making fun of the city and state as being backwoods and uneducated. That shows insecurities and misconceptions of the other, mainly northeastern, parts. It messes with peoples pride for lack of a better saying. In fact I would say it hurts their pride that a city down south is taking a more important ranking in their minds. Especially the old hard Yankee pride. I live here in Houston and I am enjoying all of the newer recognition that this great city deserves. Overall on a national level, I do not think Houston is thought of as great city in the media. People still have those stereotyped misconceptions that everybody here is a cowboy who loves country music, has a pick-up truck, rides a horse, and is illiterate. That is how Houston is perceived in the media(movies/television shows). It is really a great, cosmopolitan, and world class city. It is very diverse. Just ask everyone who keeps moving here from all over the country. There is something here for everyone. It is amazing being apart of something that is Houston. Most everybody who visits here can't help but to love it here. Anyway, thank you for your time.

Last edited by AmberAzeneth; 01-22-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.