Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2012, 02:15 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,368,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Maybe. Let's see what the effects of global warming are on the climate. I've read it could bring us to an Ice Age that has been being delayed for centuries because of global warming.

I've also read it could bring raging hot temperatures.

We just don't have any experience with this to know. I know I left the South to live in the North because I couldn't take the heat, and we are both sun sensitive. If everyone goes South, maybe I can live in that small town I've dreamed of -- without moving!
Global warming is a liberal fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 02:37 PM

302 posts, read 764,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Was it a desert then or did climate change occur back then before fossil fuel
Human-beings have been capable of destroying their habitat long before we started using fossil fuels. Over farming in dry, prairie areas can destroy the topsoil and start the process of desertification. This happened to the Pueblo Indians in New Mexico. They built great stone cities that they were later forced to abandon, because the land was no longer able to sustain them.
This also happened in many parts of the Middle East, which used to be much greener thousands of years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Sure, if you ignore rising global temperatures, longer and hotter summers, the fact that the ice caps have shrunk by half and if you ignore every reputable scientist not on the Exxonmobil payroll.

Natural climate change DOES happen, just at a much slower pace then what we have been seeing in the last few decades. Think thousands of years.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:59 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,538,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post

I heard back in the 1970s global cooling was going to kill us.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:57 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I heard back in the 1970s global cooling was going to kill us.
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will just deny Global Warming until the bitter end, as if it's some kind of political agenda!

Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 PM

955 posts, read 1,032,999 times
I hate to break this to you but sometimes the Earth just changes on its own.

Thousands of years ago, most of North America was covered in ice that measured thousands of feet deep. The ice age ended, the land started to thaw, the shoreline was formed, and species started to populate the lands, and then people started to arrive.

All this happened before the liberal, or conservative, politicians pointing fingers. Before scientists predicted global warming, or global cooling and before the thousands of years before the first factory, automobile, or can of Aqua net hairspray would be a glimmer in the brain of its creator.

The earth is a living moving evolving object, it has drastically changed in the past and it will continue to do so in the presents and in the future.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how some people will just deny Global Warming until the bitter end, as if it's some kind of political agenda!

Like declaring carbon dioxide a pollutant? I guess all of us humans are polluters just because we exhale the bad stuff.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,943,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I hate to break this to you but sometimes the Earth just changes on its own.

Thousands of years ago, most of North America was covered in ice that measured thousands of feet deep. The ice age ended, the land started to thaw, the shoreline was formed, and species started to populate the lands, and then people started to arrive.

All this happened before the liberal, or conservative, politicians pointing fingers. Before scientists predicted global warming, or global cooling and before the thousands of years before the first factory, automobile, or can of Aqua net hairspray would be a glimmer in the brain of its creator.

The earth is a living moving evolving object, it has drastically changed in the past and it will continue to do so in the presents and in the future.
The fact that the earth's climate has changed and has done so rapidly (relatively) by natural means in no way means that humans cannot and do not have an impact on climate. That most people are ignorant on how climate change happens, especially with humans, is irrelevant.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,062,227 times
I don't think it's fair to say the Sunbelt will last forever. All good things must come to an end eventually. It took the South nearly 100 years to emerge from reconstruction in the Civil War to the booming economic power it represents today. The Rust Belt effect has barely even been in effect for half a century. And if global warming continues to warm the climate, my prediction is that a greater number of people will be more reluctant to travel to a place.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:20 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Like declaring carbon dioxide a pollutant? I guess all of us humans are polluters just because we exhale the bad stuff.
Carbon (monoxide or dioxide) CAN kill you if you don't have enough oxygen to balance it out. Don't believe me, place a plastic bag over your head and seal it shut. Or sit in a car leaking CO (carbon monoxide) for a while. Bigger omitters of Carbon are actually cows and sheep, which release tons of carbon and also methane through burping and farting! These animals would never exist at their current populations if people didn't harvest them for red meat and dairy....things humans simply don't need (but they are yummy!). The BIGGEST contributor to global carbon emissions, however, isn't people, farting/burping, or even driving -- it's emissions from buildings (roughly 40% of global carbon emissions). Green/sustainable building technology and behavioral changes are what will ultimately be the difference maker in lowering global carbon emissions. And yes.....unhealthy levels of carbon aren't good for you, and they trap heat in the atmosphere, which can cause drastic weather changes and kill anything/everything!

Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Carbon (monoxide or dioxide) CAN kill you if you don't have enough oxygen to balance it out. Don't believe me, place a plastic bag over your head and seal it shut. Or sit in a car leaking CO (carbon monoxide) for a while. Bigger omitters of Carbon are actually cows and sheep, which release tons of carbon and also methane through burping and farting! These animals would never exist at their current populations if people didn't harvest them for red meat and dairy....things humans simply don't need (but they are yummy!). The BIGGEST contributor to global carbon emissions, however, isn't people, farting/burping, or even driving -- it's emissions from buildings (roughly 40% of global carbon emissions). Green/sustainable building technology and behavioral changes are what will ultimately be the difference maker in lowering global carbon emissions. And yes.....unhealthy levels of carbon aren't good for you, and they trap heat in the atmosphere, which can cause drastic weather changes and kill anything/everything!

So now buildings are the culprit. First I heard industrial plants were evil emitters. Then it was motor vehicles. Now buildings are the devil when it comes to global warming. Next year will bring us a new villain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.