Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM

842 posts, read 3,229,743 times

Advertisements

It's crazy to think that something like Chernobyl could actually happen at the Harris plant. Some points...
- The technicians at Chernobyl were conducting a test and purposely disabled the safeguards, and then subsequently ignored the evidence that a meltdown was occurring. That disaster never would have occurred had they not disabled the safeguards in the first place. They were simply reckless, which wasn't uncommon in the "do-anything-to-beat-the-capitalists" attitude in the Soviet Union.
- No one was warned about the meltdown...because of the atmosphere of secrecy that pervaded Soviet society. Townspeople were simply unaware of what was going on, and you hear stories about how they stood around and watched the 'beautiful glow' that was eminating from the plant.

Keep this little fact in mind...
Because coal naturally contains small amounts of radioactive elements, a coal-fired power plant releases significantly more radioactivity than a nuclear power plant. And that's not even mentioning the large amounts of Mercury they release too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,983,517 times
Are there any coal plants in NC?
(now I'm getting a bit nervous, lol)

Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 AM

There are 14 coal power plants in NC. And Raleigh is within a 30-mile radius of the Cape Fear power plant...
http://www.cleartheair.org/relatives/20084.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by OmegaBaby; 07-19-2007 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Woops...I was wrong.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:33 AM

709 posts, read 935,274 times
Sure coal is dirty, but now how come you cannot get any insurance for your home if the Nuke plant goes POOF?????

That Is the real issue.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Sure coal is dirty, but now how come you cannot get any insurance for your home if the Nuke plant goes POOF?????

That Is the real issue.
I'll sell you a policy right now! I'm not an insurance agent, but what have I got to lose?
Power plant doesn't explode?...I keep your money!
Power plant explodes and kills you?...I keep your money!

I think it's a matter of lack of demand. Who's going to shell out additional money for 'nuclear-power-plant-exploding' insurance? And nuclear energy is so misunderstood and villified that even if something minor happens (like what happened in Japan...radiation released, but significantly below safety levels), you're going to end up with people suing the insurance company for no good reason (e.g. "radiation-altered super-termites attacked my house...I should be covered.")

Last edited by OmegaBaby; 07-19-2007 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I'll sell you a policy right now! I'm not an insurance agent, but what have I got to lose?
Good one!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 31,634 times
I don't like the idea of being near it and I live in Garner, thirty-five miles away, but rest assure that if it goes everything as far out as Greensboro will be gone. This one is not too old, so I wouldn't think that there would be any danger yet. I don't know how long those reactors are suppose to hold up, but I would think that if they are following federal guidelines that it should remain safe for years to come. Just as long as we don't start seeing 3 and 5 eyed fish in the lakes and streams, I'm ok with it. LOL

Old 07-19-2007, 12:36 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
If I remember correctly, the 3 mile island incident caused zero deaths.
I have lived within 10 miles of the plant most of my life, I play disc golf and boat at the surrounding lake, and it is basically a non-issue to me. I think alot of the rumors are based in the 70's and 80's hysteria over nuclear power.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:29 PM

59 posts, read 151,650 times
This topic always reveals the effect hysteria and ignorance has on this country. We are so far behind the rest of the world in some aspects, its frightening. Our reliance on fossil fuels has caused much more damage to the Earth and human life than is possible with Nuclear Power. Fortunately, circumstances are forcing leaders to reconsider Nuclear Power as a viable energy source for the nation.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Unless of course you also live in the area. How about I back up the policy...from MA. Then, power plant explodes and kills him, you keep money. But you die too and I underwrite you. I keep YOUR money. Heehee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.