Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 AM
 
357 posts, read 1,463,391 times
Reputation: 215

Advertisements

The Midwest and Northeast are supposed to be the most segregated areas of America...but what neighborhoods there buck the trend when it comes to black-white segregation? And do they exist peacefully in these neighborhoods?

The ones i know of so far are Hyde Park, Chicago, which is about half black, half-white and Soulard in St Louis, which i can't find statistics on, but i know it has lots of blacks and whites living side-by-side.

I believe that both whites and blacks in Hyde Park are fairly high income and there is little racial tension. Don't know about Soulard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 AM
 
27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Reputation: 32302
Check out Shaker Heights just outside of Cleveland, Ohio or Upper Marlboro, Maryland just outside of Washington, DC

Shaker Heights, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Upper Marlboro, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
 
Location: The City of Shoes and Booze
136 posts, read 265,197 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
The Midwest and Northeast are supposed to be the most segregated areas of America...but what neighborhoods there buck the trend when it comes to black-white segregation? And do they exist peacefully in these neighborhoods?

The ones i know of so far are Hyde Park, Chicago, which is about half black, half-white and Soulard in St Louis, which i can't find statistics on, but i know it has lots of blacks and whites living side-by-side.

I believe that both whites and blacks in Hyde Park are fairly high income and there is little racial tension. Don't know about Soulard
Soulard is about 80% White, 16% Black and there is no racial tension that I'm aware in Soulard.

The neighborhood I live in which is right next to Soulard called Benton Park is 56% White, 40% Black. Which there is also no racial tension.

Here is the link to where I got the demographic figures and to access the other 77 neighborhoods in St. Louis St. Louis Neighborhoods: A to Z Listing (http://stlouis.missouri.org/neighborhoods/alphaindex.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:23 AM
 
1,495 posts, read 2,300,944 times
Reputation: 811
Near South Side, Chicago
Near West Side, Chicago
Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
Shaw D.C.
Columbia Heights D.C.
other neighborhoods directly north of downtown in D.C.

Other than a few bad apples like Detroit, I don't think the north is as segregated as people say. It's just that the black-white segregation up here looks worse in comparison to the extreme integration of other groups.

And are New Orleans, Memphis, and Birmingham any less segregated than Detroit, St. Louis and Baltimore?

And the West is very minimally black, so it seems silly to say that it's integrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 07:40 AM
 
93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Reputation: 18268
//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...racuse-NY.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...racuse-NY.html

http://www.unpa.net/

Greater University Hill* ? Syracuse, New York

Pretty much most of the East Side neighborhoods in Syracuse are good in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 08:52 AM
 
2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
Reputation: 2159
Butler-Tarkington in Indianapolis purports to be the first racially integrated neighborhood in America.

It's about 50/50 black/white. Incomes range from practically non existent to upper class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:01 AM
 
Location: EAST-SIDE INDIANAPOLIS
355 posts, read 912,000 times
Reputation: 162
I'll continue for Indy, pretty much the whole east side, from washington street south to 56th north, from meridian west to german church east, except for a few spots, like 38th and post, and brightwood, and a few others most neighborhoods are pretty intergrated, even some higher income hoods, for example i lived with a budy at raymond and franklin a neighborhood called greythorn, many rich/upper class black folks and white folks and some indians. My new neighborhood emerson heights at 10th and emerson is pretty well integrated. SOME AREAS WITHIN THESE HUGE BOUNDARIES ARE PRETTY SEGREGATED BUT THEY ARE FEWER THAN PEOPLE THINK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
 
Location: New York NY
5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Reputation: 12738
In northern NJ there's Montclair and West Orange in Essex County. Both are technically suburbs of Newark, though most folks think of them as NYC suburbs. Also in Bergen County NJ, near the George Washington Bridge, there's Teaneck, Hackensack and their poorer cousin, Englewood. (The black poulation in that last town got there first as servants and household workers to the wealthy living in nearby Englewood Cliffs and its black poulation is less affluent I think than in the other two towns.) Interesting fact is that Teaneck was the first town in the entire U.S. to voluntarily desegregate its schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
 
Location: Chicago
3,569 posts, read 7,201,566 times
Reputation: 2637
Oak park, illinois
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, DE
257 posts, read 458,498 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Check out Shaker Heights just outside of Cleveland, Ohio or Upper Marlboro, Maryland just outside of Washington, DC

Shaker Heights, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Upper Marlboro, Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Near South Side, Chicago
Near West Side, Chicago
Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
Shaw D.C.
Columbia Heights D.C.
other neighborhoods directly north of downtown in D.C.


Other than a few bad apples like Detroit, I don't think the north is as segregated as people say. It's just that the black-white segregation up here looks worse in comparison to the extreme integration of other groups.

And are New Orleans, Memphis, and Birmingham any less segregated than Detroit, St. Louis and Baltimore?

And the West is very minimally black, so it seems silly to say that it's integrated.
WRONG!!!
Maryland and D.C. are southern...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top