Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,414 times

Advertisements

So... I currently live in north Texas. I'm currently in school and when I graduate I'll be in design work (graphic design/art direction). I'm getting worried about graduating because I know most of the potential jobs for me here are going to be located in downtown Dallas and driving through downtown Dallas gives me a guaranteed panic attack. Strangely enough, most of my anxiety from driving is not caused by highways but navigating small or narrow streets that are crowded (or one way) even in the suburbs. I can't explain why this happens and I've had people tell me to get medicated for it but I don't want to take medication for something that is only situational.

I guess I need to move somewhere with a good public transportation. I'm wary of NYC because of the high prices and the "supposedly" rude people there. Coming from the south and being a nice enough girl myself, I don't want lots of people yelling at me and bumping into me. I also would like to live somewhere that isn't a tiny small town because I need my fair share of dining and shopping options like in north Texas.

My fiance is in nursing, so job options for him would be great as well.

You could also list out of the country options but Canada (Ontario) where I lived for a year was VERY lovely but VERY boring...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and please reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Actually NYC would be ideal for you. It's "expensive" but the salaries reflect that. Work options would be numerous in design and nursing, and lastly the premise that NYC is rude is pure stereotype.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM

3 posts, read 3,414 times
Thanks. I just compared salaries, and our combined salary based on averages would be about 27,000 more. I also researched the metro card which is around 100/month which is way cheaper than a car/gas.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:46 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually NYC would be ideal for you. It's "expensive" but the salaries reflect that. Work options would be numerous in design and nursing, and lastly the premise that NYC is rude is pure stereotype.
I agree with this assessment of NYC. Another option would be San Francisco which has great public transportation within the city but I think is just expensive as NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.