Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Uhh and hurricanes are far worse than snowstorms and cause billions in damage, rip down houses, kill 1000+ people in what swoop, etc.
Only unprepared cities should see a death toll that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:53 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
From 2005 to 2008 (Katrina to Ike) people were marvelling at the way climate change had intensified tropical heat and hurricane winds with the result that the American South, esp the Gulf Coast and Florida peninsula, would begin to loose their population boom and people would start moving back the the currently depopulating Midwest and NE which were relatively immuned to tropical storms.

Hoever, the last two summers have been moderately active but almost hurricane-free for the US (most spiralled off harmlessly into the middle of the N. Atlantic to die in the Arctic). However, last winter was pretty bad while this winter has been horrid.

I won't even attempt to predict which of these two situations will occurr over the next couple of years but what do you reader think will ultimately happen in terms of the population growth of the Sun Belt vs the MidWest and NE? Visiting the "relative" north of Arkansas from Houston this winter and spending most of the night in a median strip ditch after spinning off a freeway in a snowstorm, I'm betting on the Sun Belt continuing to grow at the expense of MW/NE. I'm willing to risk a very occasional hurricane over the likelyhood of freezing winters every year and slush, scraping off cars, changing tires, freezing pipes, car accidents, etc etc
Listen up yall. I've lived in Florida for basically my entire life. A hurricane is NOT something to fear. Most Floridians can tell you that when hurricane season is in session, or when we have a hurricane approaching, all we do is board up the house, and we're good to go. Most times, they don't do any significant damage. In my experience. But there can be exceptions. But all in all, you have to live here to get over the stupid stigma about these dangerous hurricanes. I would much rather take my chances down south with hurricanes and tornadoes than be in the north's infamous monster blizzard. I absolutely HATE the cold!! I have lived in Montreal and Canada. I could never live in a cold climate ever again. I can't even live in Northern Florida (which is the coldest FL gets). I hate it. I stay in South Florida where my health is good and my people are at.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Listen up yall. I've lived in Florida for basically my entire life. A hurricane is NOT something to fear. Most Floridians can tell you that when hurricane season is in session, or when we have a hurricane approaching, all we do is board up the house, and we're good to go. Most times, they don't do any significant damage. In my experience. But there can be exceptions. But all in all, you have to live here to get over the stupid stigma about these dangerous hurricanes. I would much rather take my chances down south with hurricanes and tornadoes than be in the north's infamous monster blizzard. I absolutely HATE the cold!! I have lived in Montreal and Canada. I could never live in a cold climate ever again. I can't even live in Northern Florida (which is the coldest FL gets). I hate it. I stay in South Florida where my health is good and my people are at.
It's because you hate the cold... I've lived in FL and Chi and the blizzard isn't really a big deal at least in an urban environment, much less so than going through a close hit on a hurricane. If you don't like the cold though, yeah you won't like it. Did you make it through 2nd or 3rd winter in Canada? 1st is generally a shock but after that, no big deal.
But yes hurricanes are avoidable by you, just not your property. Insurance really went up after 2004, including several Insurance Companies that have left, including State Farm.
You have a quasi government insurance now Citizens FL, but it is expensive.
I lived in FL for over 20 years and never once left during a hurricane either. Of course the highest to hit where I was at was a weak Cat 2. Cat 4 or 5? Yeah, I'd leave if near the coast.
I guess I am just pretty adaptable being in extreme cold sometimes in Chicago or extreme heat/humidity in FL. Neither are great, I just deal with it.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Uhh and hurricanes are far worse than snowstorms and cause billions in damage, rip down houses, kill 1000+ people in what swoop, etc.
It is the rare hurricane that kills 1000+ people just like it is the rare blizzard that does. In fact there has only been one since modern weather forecasting has come around and the majority of the deaths were caused by flooding due to the levees giving way.

Had the money allocated years back for shoring up the levees been used for that purpose instead of another project then the death toll while still unacceptable would have been no where near 1000.

Blizzards also cause billions in damage, collapse houses, kill many people, etc.

How about this, all extreme weather sucks, causes damage and kills people. There is also no place on earth that does not have some kind of extreme weather event at one time or another.

I also believe the main question of the OP was in regards to growth which not one person has bothered to answer, everyone just decided to make it into another weather thread.

To answer the OP.
I don't think hurricanes will stop the growth in the south just like I don't think blizzards have much to do with people leaving the north.

Last edited by Mike1306; 02-06-2011 at 04:34 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
How about this, all extreme weather sucks, causes damage and kills people. There is also no place on earth that does not have some kind of extreme weather event at one time or another.
I'm not sure that's true. I grew up in Kirkland, Washington (east side of Seattle) never once experienced any extreme weather. Never a blizzard, hurricane, tornado, earthquake (nothing above a slight rumble) or even a flood (although there are areas there that occasionally do they are quite avoidable). Even thunderstorms were (still are?) very mild and somewhat rare.

I've sinced lived in many of other areas (9 states) each of which have one or several of the above extreme weather phenomena but if one wants to avoid dangerous weather, I think it certainly can be done. Just sayin'....

Old 02-06-2011, 09:07 AM

371 posts, read 597,359 times
Here in Texas, it snowed, our pipes froze, ultimately busting above our den, through the celling and flooding the entire room with at least an inch of water. Snow and a flood in a matter of days..

Our house is just falling apart..

Old 02-06-2011, 09:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Exaggerate much.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exaggerate much.
Ignorant much? Considering one of the worst in history was right in your back yard. Galveston hurricane of 1900 killed an estimated 6000-12000 people.
Katrina killed 1800 just 6 years ago.

Don't post towards me again.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Ignorant much? Considering one of the worst in history was right in your back yard. Galveston hurricane of 1900 killed an estimated 6000-12000 people.

Ignorant??? You just explained my point. You'r talking about events that took place over 100 years apart from each other. Besides, Galveston wan't built to withstand hurricanes at the time and New Orleans had weak levees.

Like I said; quit exaggerating.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:

yeah, but there are 105 years in between those events. That is infrequent even for Methuselah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.