Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:40 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times

Advertisements

I get it....I just don't consider those areas as "Middle America", and I'd be surprised if they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
If you need to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I get it....I just don't consider those areas as "Middle America", and I'd be surprised if they did.
Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi are all in the south, but the first two are definitely in the middle third, while the latter straddles the middle and eastern thirds.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:47 PM

871 posts, read 2,247,755 times
i dont buy the notion that the midwest has a monopoly on "middle america".

i definitely consider rural arkansas, kentucky, tennessee, idaho, montana, etc... middle america.

middle america is a mindset. its those who reject the urban city lifestyle and live outside of the coasts. its what some call "flyover country", and its anything from indiana, oklahoma to even the central valley of california.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Middle America would be Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska etc. I would exclude upper midwest states like Wisconsin Michigan and Minnesota as they are too far north to be middle america. Basically middle America in my opinion is the lower midwest.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM

195 posts, read 672,913 times
People who eat at Applebees, name their kids Maddyson Brooklynne Haley Caley Kayla Logan Kylie and such - people who generally are unaware of other countries and content themselves with WalMart sale items --people who think Egypt and Saudi Arabia are possibly the same country, an amorphous monocultural entity simply called "Arabia" --- Middle America is more of a lifestyle and philosophy than a geographic destination......Middle America tends to vote Republican, think the Rapture is a true coming event, and believe that no matter what that the America envisioned by Norman Rockwell will one day come to fruition....baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, block parties...things that could be charachterised as "good ole ____ (insert thing of choice)" -- people that think UFC and NASCAR are good pasttimes....

They are basically the types who keep the service economy afloat through consumer purchasing but who also in many ways prevent progress in the US as they are slow to accept ideological change.

Not trying to be inflammatory - this is my understanding of Middle America from my 31 years as an American (who now resides in Canada - we have lots of Middle America in Canada too)

Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you need to ask, you wouldn't understand.
You win the prize! Best answer yet! Gave me a good laugh.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:40 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post
People who eat at Applebees, name their kids Maddyson Brooklynne Haley Caley Kayla Logan Kylie and such - people who generally are unaware of other countries and content themselves with WalMart sale items --people who think Egypt and Saudi Arabia are possibly the same country, an amorphous monocultural entity simply called "Arabia" --- Middle America is more of a lifestyle and philosophy than a geographic destination......Middle America tends to vote Republican, think the Rapture is a true coming event, and believe that no matter what that the America envisioned by Norman Rockwell will one day come to fruition....baseball, hot dogs, apple pie, block parties...things that could be charachterised as "good ole ____ (insert thing of choice)" -- people that think UFC and NASCAR are good pasttimes....

They are basically the types who keep the service economy afloat through consumer purchasing but who also in many ways prevent progress in the US as they are slow to accept ideological change.

Not trying to be inflammatory - this is my understanding of Middle America from my 31 years as an American (who now resides in Canada - we have lots of Middle America in Canada too)
Some people just prefer simplicity in life -- and who can blame them, really? I'm not one of those people but maybe I should be. There is something to be said for people who love the little things in life, IMO.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
I'd never really heard the term: " Middle America" until I moved to the East Coast from the South. Its more of a negative term meant to indicate that unless you live in a few very choice coastal cities that you're living in " Middle America" or- "Flyoverland". Its the same attitude out here in California. Most people who live here are either from California or New York. No real inbetween. They wouldn't dare to live anywhere else- that is until they realize they can't afford it so in that case they move to either TX or NC.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avironneur View Post

Wow. That's some impressive stereotyping.

I am none of those things, yet I live where most people think of when they hear "middle America."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.