Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 09:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I suppose that could be true. I guess well kept small town main streets, festivals where the whole community comes out, and vast agricultural fields are my definition of middle America. Unfortunately I've never been able to explore small towns in the west and Midwest as much as I'd like to. My ideal location would be a stand alone small town about 20 miles outside of an affordable, decent size metro area in the northeast/Midwest, that's my middle America utopia.
You mean the places being ravaged by the opioid epidemic and most people are on SSI or work in the service industry? Your idyllic middle-america doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 10:40 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,790,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You mean the places being ravaged by the opioid epidemic and most people are on SSI or work in the service industry? Your idyllic middle-america doesn't exist.
Real glass-half-empty kinda guy aren't ya?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:18 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,133,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Your idyllic middle-america doesn't exist.
No it does not. But neither does the make-believe cesspool of sloth, ignorance, obesity and boredom. Middle America is a wild, weird, frustrating, dynamic and almost impossibly complicated place, as are it's people. If it was a foreign country, the same people who **** on it now would think it was fascinating. But people with fragile egos need something to **** on to make themselves feel important.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:25 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,894,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
No it does not. But neither does the make-believe cesspool of sloth, ignorance, obesity and boredom. Middle America is a wild, weird, frustrating, dynamic and almost impossibly complicated place, as are it's people. If it was a foreign country, the same people who **** on it now would think it was fascinating. But people with fragile egos need something to **** on to make themselves feel important.
I agree. I don't have disdain for Middle America using either definition (small town or geographic middle). Some would even argue that I live there now, and I'm very happy with my current city.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:57 PM

How do people say that it doesn't exist? There are plenty of small, middle America towns doing just fine.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:19 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,659,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I don'the think anyone is actually sitting at their desk or on their commute thinking about their disdain for middle america. Sounds more like an inferiority complex or youre super defensive the way you're putting it.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
We are just talking about averages my friend not ideals.
Averages, meaning places that receive at least 15-25 inches of snowfall every winter should be prepared to deal with snowfall, no excuses.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:50 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
How do people say that it doesn't exist? There are plenty of small, middle America towns doing just fine.
Yes, places that have solid and more diversified economies have retained population tend to be able to hold on to younger people and families. Those that don't are generally in free fall with strong out-migration overall, particularly rural counties with lower populations to begin with. According to recent statistics, rural counties as a whole are losing population in the US for the first time this decade.

Old 08-02-2016, 04:52 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,839,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
That may be true of the cities but small town upstate NY is definitely Middle America in terms of culture.
LOL Upstate New York is not middle America at all. It's in the northeastern U.S. It's nothing like Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
LOL Upstate New York is not middle America at all. It's in the northeastern U.S. It's nothing like Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Indiana, or Ohio.
Everyone knows upstate NY is in the northeastern U.S. They were speaking in terms of "middle America" culture, not geographically in the middle of America like the states you mentioned. Upstate NY absolutely has a "middle America" culture to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.