Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it's the dreadful, record breaking winter we've had here in CT...or the fact that unemployment rates are one of the highest in the country...or that there is little left for me to enjoy here, having lived here most of my life. But I need a change, and don't know where to start. Hopefully someone out there has some advice!

I moved out of my parents house after high school and first relocated to Cambridge, MA for college. I absolutely loved living in the Boston area, and only left due to a lack of financial aid at school. The culture, ease of transportation, plethora of activities to do, and close proximity to visit family and friends back home was appealing. I then moved to Pennsylvania and transferred to Penn State....and lived near Amish country. I found the lifestyle there quite boring, however my education was exhilarating. After reading On the Road by Jack Kerouac, I decided to move across country to San Francisco and took the route through the midwest. Places were beautiful along the way, most specifically Colorado. But I hated living in San Francisco and ended up back home in CT....got married, had a baby, got divorced. It's been a couple years since, and desire a fresh start. Relocating isn't a problem in regards to my kiddo, just have to work out a new visitation schedule.

I've traveled quite a bit in the US and abroad, but am desperately considering relocating to a city or suburb outside of CT. I can't stand cold weather; not only do I suffer from eczema really bad, but I'm terrible at any winter sports. I love to be outside, and so does my kiddo, so moving to a year-round warm climate is ideal...and being near a beach or within reasonable driving distance of the beach would be incredible. Of course good schools, job opportunities (I work in education), safe environment, and somewhere kid friendly is top notch. Being a single parent, someplace relatively affordable would be the only way I could achieve a relocation (hence, living somewhere like Los Angeles couldn't be an option). I've looked at those articles from magazines and CNN about the "best places to live"...and knowing a few of those places personally, I would have to wholeheartedly disagree with some of their choices and am looking for opinion from real people out here.

Maybe my head is in the clouds, but hopefully someone out here in cyberspace can give me some places to at least consider. I'm open to any and all suggestions! Tell me about where you think is best

Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Based on the criteria of climate, excellent schools, near a beach and safe I would recommend northern St Johns County (Nocatee, Ponte Vedra, Vilano Beach, Julington Creek) or northern Pinellas County (Palm Harbor, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, East Lake) in Florida. The only issue right now pretty much anywhere is the job factor.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 AM

142 posts, read 933,661 times
I know you said that visitation would have to be worked out but it might be really inconvenient if you moved too far west. What about Coastal Virginia like Virginia Beach, Newport News areas? I don't know much about them, though, but I know it's warmer down there than CT. Also, the Jacksonville, FL area like Kyle suggested but if that's too far south, North Carolina might be a nice bet for you. Maybe you should check out the forums on here for specific states of interest and see if they have better suggestions.

I was born in NJ and lived there until college. I went to Towson University in the Baltimore area and then moved out to Phoenix, AZ right after I got married in my mid-20s. I still have family all over the east coast and my mom (who's in VA) definitely has warmer and more tolerant weather than my dad who's still in NJ. My aunt relocated to Brunswick, GA which is basically right across the state line from Jacksonville, FL and she really enjoys it there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.