Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't really like winter but I don't actually hate it. In NYC the 2 worst things are the dirty slush puddles that form after it snows at the street corners making it difficult to cross the street and the biting cold when it is around the freezing mark and below.
The best thing you can do is get a pair of high waterproof boots. No slush puddle has been a match for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspoonistoobig View Post
Winter sucks. Not sure why anyone would like the cold and cloudy weather
I'm not sure why so many people like to sweat like pigs in summer heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Love winter, cold ,refreshing,alive, i'll take a cold winter day over a hot sweaty Florida summer day anytime.
Agree. The cool/cold air makes the world feel fresh and alive. Like being in a refrigerator. It kills all of the bugs and nasty smells that build up during the hot, sticky summer.

When I lived down South, winters were the worst. Gray, chilly, 40 degrees and rainy. You spend all winter indoors hating it. When I moved north, my southern friends were like "OMG how are you going to deal with the winters?" Honestly, the farther north you go, the better winters become. You get snow, you can ski, go ice skating, xc skiing, winter hikes with spikes, all kinds of fun winter outdoors activities that weren't possible in the rainy south. And you invest in proper clothing and equipment to keep yourself warm and dry while enjoying these activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 07:32 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
I've noticed that in a lot of the Midwestern forums people complain about how cold, dreary, and gray winter is. So I was wondering, do like winter? And exactly what is it like in your area.

Here in Michigan winter is, of course, cold. I don't really find it depressing, but I do wish it weren't so long.
I hate cold weather. Hot is good.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:41 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Winter isn't my favorite season, but I don't mind it as much where I live now. The nice thing about the cold weather is not having to worry about rattlesnakes.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 AM

217 posts, read 313,317 times
Here in Los Angeles doesnt get below 50 during winter (i think thats why i love it) but i would hate a Mid West/South winter. Ewwww not for me.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Having lived in the Great Lakes Region my entire life, do I like winter? Early winter, like late November and early Deceomber, sure, it's a nice change, although honestly, it really hasn't been getting what you would truly call "winter" here until mid-December for the past several years. I mean, here it is mid-November, and I was out walking my dog yesterday in a light jacket and enjoying the still beautiful autumn leaves and still green grass. I always laugh when people say that we have 7-8 months of winter here. Whaaaaat????

Do I like late winter, as in, January through March? Not so much, but here's the thing: since I have an otherwise great quality of life here, I've found that the best thing to do is learn to just accept my not so favorite things about where I live and realize that no place is perfect. If lived in Florida, for example, I wouldn't have to deal with snow, but I would be struggling with bugs year round and dripping humidity for months on end. Everything in life is a trade off.

Based on the number of people I know who are natives of my area and moved to places like Florida, the Carolinas, and Texas thinking that they would find the perfect life, only to turn around and move right back within a year or two, I think I may be onto something here!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:37 PM

9 posts, read 7,766 times
Yes, one of my favorite times of the year.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:45 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I love winter and fall, just the best time of year.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Since I moved to South Texas, I like it a lot better than I used to. But even here, I like summer better than winter.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:39 AM

76 posts, read 128,259 times
Yes, I like winters the most especially its foggy days.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
I love snow-accompanied winter. Cold and dreary but no snow and after the holidays? No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.