Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,770,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You have to understand that the Northeast isn't monolithic or isn't just the Bos-Wash corridor. There are Northeastern metros that have a COL on par with Southern metros. So, that depends upon the area in the NE. There are plenty of nice walkable villages, with things to in many parts of the NE, like Upstate NY. While winter can be bad up here, the heat and humidity in the South can be pretty bad and for just as long of a time too. There's other issues like crime, schools, things to do and location, among other things that come into play.
The hottest weather I ever experienced was in Boston in the summer. Either way, I have absolutely no desire to live in the Northeast again.

As far as why people from the Midwest and Northeast are moving South is because 20-30 years ago the South didn't have much of an economy. When I was growing up the region was economically depressed. These days it has a healthy economy and a diversified set of growing industries. People are no longer constrained to one region or area. I also think many people have a totally different attitude about certain things like family, community, and professional careers. It used to be that a family was tied to a specific town because:

A: Their family lived there. aka- Mom and Dad, Grandparents and so on.
B: They were tied to their community. They went to the same church, same schools, and so on.
C: They often kept the same jobs and followed in their parent's footsteps by going into the same jobs as their parents. The companies they worked for also kept them for decades.

That has all changed. These days if a family lived in say- Chicago, Boston, NYC, or some other Northeastern or Midwestern area, they up and decide that they are tired of the weather and the cost of living and even though their family all lives there- they'll cut and run at the drop of a hat and what's more, they'll move to a city based sometimes on a whim from some magazine article or one of those "top 10" lists. They have zero problem abandoning an area their family has spent generations living in. They are no longer tied down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:42 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,261,494 times
You get more for your money in the south, but there are more amenities in the north.

It's a trade-off. No place is perfect.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,789,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The midwestern climate is much tougher than the northeast, and the economy is worse as well. Many people are leaving this part of the country to escape those realities. Also midwestern people have more in common with southerners than do people in the northeast. Much easier for a Michigan or Indiana resident to adjust to life in the south than it is for a northeasterner. The midwest is slower paced and more rural in the same way the south is, so there is no real culture shock. Now someone moving south from Massachusetts will certainly face culture shock.
It depends on which part of the Midwest you are talking about, it is a big place. Besides the weather the part of the Midwest I live in is nothing like you describe.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:53 PM

92,144 posts, read 122,387,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
The hottest weather I ever experienced was in Boston in the summer. Either way, I have absolutely no desire to live in the Northeast again.

As far as why people from the Midwest and Northeast are moving South is because 20-30 years ago the South didn't have much of an economy. When I was growing up the region was economically depressed. These days it has a healthy economy and a diversified set of growing industries. People are no longer constrained to one region or area. I also think many people have a totally different attitude about certain things like family, community, and professional careers. It used to be that a family was tied to a specific town because:

A: Their family lived there. aka- Mom and Dad, Grandparents and so on.
B: They were tied to their community. They went to the same church, same schools, and so on.
C: They often kept the same jobs and followed in their parent's footsteps by going into the same jobs as their parents. The companies they worked for also kept them for decades.

That has all changed. These days if a family lived in say- Chicago, Boston, NYC, or some other Northeastern or Midwestern area, they up and decide that they are tired of the weather and the cost of living and even though their family all lives there- they'll cut and run at the drop of a hat and what's more, they'll move to a city based sometimes on a whim from some magazine article or one of those "top 10" lists. They have zero problem abandoning an area their family has spent generations living in. They are no longer tied
down.
Let's be honest and realize that the Boston weather you experienced is the exception and not the rule.

Cosy of living varies in the NE and the economies of many NE metros have evolved. So, they aren't static or strictly manufacturing.

I agree that many people move based on emotion or with little research, but I can see why people move and can respect that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.