Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Midwest City
Millwaukee 5 4.85%
Detroit 4 3.88%
Chicago 40 38.83%
Cleveland 6 5.83%
Grand Rapids 2 1.94%
Madison 1 0.97%
Columbus 6 5.83%
Indianapolis 2 1.94%
South Bend 0 0%
Cincinnati 2 1.94%
Minneapolis 16 15.53%
St.Paul 1 0.97%
St. Louis 15 14.56%
Evanston 1 0.97%
Toledo 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:00 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,090,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Cleveland is BARELY in the Midwest core....it is near where the Midwest meets the Northeast, however it is still far west enough to be considered Midwest. And for a Great Plains city, Kansas City is very Midwestern in attitude, appearance, and culture. However, I will admit it still feels very western for a Midwestern city. And most maps include Kansas City in the Midwest core. whether it is or isn't is open to debate.

I would agree with you. Location-wise, Cleveland is near the border. But culturally, industrially, and custom/tradition-wise, it's definitely Midwestern. It's look and feel are much more similar to Chicago, Detroit or Milwaukee, than say to NYC, Philly, Boston or Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
I think my hometown Cleveland is a mix of Midwestern and Northeastern cities.I've been to Chicago and wouldn't exactly compare the two,the architecture is a little bit different.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:13 PM

395 posts, read 1,374,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
St. Louis debate looks wild what's it about? st. louis has some nice resturaunts, and it's architecture is nice, but I think it can't compare with chicago, Detroit, and Indianapolis. It does go along head to head with, cincy, grand rapids, cleveland, millwaukee, toledo though.
Whooooa there. I'm from Chicago, lived in Indy and St. Louis. (And lived in Seoul.) I've visited all cities you mentioned.

First of all Chicago blows all mw cities away, no question. I can't possibly fathom how you mention INDIANAPOLIS to detroit and chicago...and throw st. loouis with the others??? What are you smoking bro? If anything it should be Chicago, Detroit, STL together!! I take that as an insult to Chicago!!! Indianapolis is its downtown and vice versa (which in IMO BORING). St. Louis is "downtown" or high rises etc stretches all the way to clayton. It has TONS of restaurants, far more cultured and diverse than anything close of what Indy has to offer. It is a huuuuuge insult.

I gained MUCH respect for stl after living there even though I hate the cardinals. True, it's no Chicago but man to throw it into a mix comparing to Indy boggles my mind. Stl's downtown needs work and not too many people go there, but its not a "downtown centric" city. Indy's population is its COUNTY!!!

It's so bizarre to see these posts downplaying STL... Stl is a great city and I will back it up and give it props on this forum.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Chitown, Stl, Twin Cities baby. Detroit and Cleveland next.

People here are craaazy. das it.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,443 times
I'm going by the largest Midwest urban centers only: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Ft. Wayne

My top four:Chicago, Minneapolis (and St. Paul), Indianapolis, Columbus
Favorable opinon of:Cleveland, Kansas City, Milwaukee, (i'll put in Ft. Wayne in this category)
Don't care for:Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis

Old 10-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I'm going by the largest Midwest urban centers only: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Ft. Wayne

My top four:Chicago, Minneapolis (and St. Paul), Indianapolis, Columbus
Favorable opinon of:Cleveland, Kansas City, Milwaukee, (i'll put in Ft. Wayne in this category)
Don't care for:Detroit, Cincinnati, St. Louis
"URBAN CENTER"...what does that mean exactly? Chicago stretches from way southside to evanston. It's all urban. Indianapolis has downtown, the ONLY area that is urban. Dude, i've lived in both and im so mind boggled how the hoosiers keep putting Indianapolis in with Chicago. How is that possible? I need an explanation, photos, or empirical proof from Hoosiers proving this. Convince me.

I can understand Dtown, Stl, and Cleveland...but dang dawg...no offense, but it's like a huge horrible lie.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM

have you ever spent time in these cities? like stl for example?

Old 10-23-2007, 06:37 PM

Chicago:

STL: http://photos.imageevent.com/kcphotos/stlouis/large/stlouis_8660.jpg (broken link)

and...Indy:

Hmmm...don't see much urbaness outside of downtown....

Old 10-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
"URBAN CENTER"...what does that mean exactly? Chicago stretches from way southside to evanston. It's all urban. Indianapolis has downtown, the ONLY area that is urban. Dude, i've lived in both and im so mind boggled how the hoosiers keep putting Indianapolis in with Chicago. How is that possible? I need an explanation, photos, or empirical proof from Hoosiers proving this. Convince me.

I can understand Dtown, Stl, and Cleveland...but dang dawg...no offense, but it's like a huge horrible lie.
It's pathetic how easily you take things out of context.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
and...Indy:
Hmmm...don't see much urbaness outside of downtown....
And judging by a quick history of your posts, they're all the same. No wonder you've lost two reputation points already.

I enjoy have meaningful debates with others but you're not even worth my time. Go troll somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.