Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:26 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I knew someone would say this, I say actually no, LA and NYC are the only legitimate places where these should be, they are the centers for this industry
I mostly agree with you here...and definitely had a feeling there would be someone saying "Atlanta!".

However I could also see awards shows like the Oscars or Grammys taking place in Miami Beach or Las Vegas. They're both flashy, "showtime" cities and celebrity destinations. I think they would work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Well the only reason why these events are located in places like LA is because lots of celebrities live there. Moving it elsewhere would require lots of traveling. I'd give a no to Atlanta and Miami.

I think the events are fine right where they are ,but I would love to see more cities shown in movies and televisions shows. Getting annoyed with seeing LA all the time.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:27 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,195,118 times
I wouldn't care that much of the Grammy's or Oscars came to Omaha. I like seeing the continous flow of business related events, olympic trial events, sporting events, shows and concerts that come by and use our facilities.

The Grammys and Oscars etc just don't seem that big of a boon to a community.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I think Kansas City should host the X-Games or the Olympics.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:49 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,711,403 times
You guys need to read more, lol...Atlanta and GA are top destination for film making as well as musically, either they live here or have ties here.

35 artists were reped in the Grammy the other night.. Atlanta, would be a graet spot for the Grammy's. It is rapidly becoming a MAJOR music center.

Among the other major music facts in Georgia:
In the past 20 years, Georgia’s music industry has experienced unprecedented growth in the number of music recording establishments, record labels and other professional services connected with the commercial music industry.

According to the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia, the current estimated economic impact of the music industry in Georgia is approaching $2 billion dollars annually. An earlier study developed by Georgia State University credited the industry with creating 11,000 jobs and generating $54.3 million in tax revenues.

Georgia also dominates regional radio. With the region’s only top radio market, Georgia sets the agenda for what music is played and consequently consumed throughout the region.

The City of Atlanta harbors regional offices of the nation’s top three performing rights societies, the American Society of Authors, Composers and Publishers (ASCAP), Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) and SESAC. Atlanta is also home to one of the Recording Academy’s twelve regional chapters.

Major recording artists and producers with Georgia ties include: Gregg Allman, Akon, Dallas Austin, Chuck Leavell, R.E.M., Jermaine Dupri, Ciara, Elton John, Ray Charles, Alan Jackson, James Brown, Jessye Norman, B-52’s, Bryan-Michael Cox, Toni Braxton, Byron Cage, Kenny Rogers, Van Hunt, Jeff Foxworthy, Jagged Edge, Toomp, Brendan O’Brien, Bill Anderson, Montel Jordan, Kelly Price, Otis Redding, Monica, Bow Wow, Ann Nesby, Collective Soul, Luther Barnes, Indigo Girls, Young Joc, Johnta Austin, Kendrick Dean, Chris “Tricky” Stewart, Mastodon, Shawn Mullins, Peabo Bryson, Lil Jon, Allman Brothers, Third Day, Freddy Cole and Travis Tritt.

Georgia’s music industry includes over 1000 establishments, a significant number of which are recording studios, including several that have been awarded GRAMMYS®, Dove Awards, American Music Awards, Emmys and Oscars for their contributions to stellar music and film recordings.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:56 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
For example, we kicked off the year with the Nation Championship game being held in LA followed by the Grammy Awards, the NBA All Star Game next Sunday and then the Oscars next month.
Are you referring to the college football (BCS) game on Jan. 10? That was held in Arizona. Last year's game was in Pasadena, though. Next year's will be held in New Orleans, the following year in S. Florida. Rinse, repeat.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:23 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
People still pay attention to the Grammys? Seems like more of an "80's" thing.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:34 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateCity2001 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Grammys also take place in New York City too? That would definitely be a good location for music's biggest night.
I think Nashville would be nice. Even though it's known for country, it still is a very well known music city.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:46 AM

142 posts, read 252,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Are you referring to the college football (BCS) game on Jan. 10? That was held in Arizona. Last year's game was in Pasadena, though. Next year's will be held in New Orleans, the following year in S. Florida. Rinse, repeat.

Correction, the National Championship game was in Glendale, not in LA. Sorry!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You guys need to read more, lol...Atlanta and GA are top destination for film making as well as musically, either they live here or have ties here.

35 artists were reped in the Grammy the other night.. Atlanta, would be a graet spot for the Grammy's. It is rapidly becoming a MAJOR music center.

Among the other major music facts in Georgia:
In the past 20 years, Georgia’s music industry has experienced unprecedented growth in the number of music recording establishments, record labels and other professional services connected with the commercial music industry.

According to the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia, the current estimated economic impact of the music industry in Georgia is approaching $2 billion dollars annually. An earlier study developed by Georgia State University credited the industry with creating 11,000 jobs and generating $54.3 million in tax revenues.

Georgia also dominates regional radio. With the region’s only top radio market, Georgia sets the agenda for what music is played and consequently consumed throughout the region.

The City of Atlanta harbors regional offices of the nation’s top three performing rights societies, the American Society of Authors, Composers and Publishers (ASCAP), Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI) and SESAC. Atlanta is also home to one of the Recording Academy’s twelve regional chapters.

Major recording artists and producers with Georgia ties include: Gregg Allman, Akon, Dallas Austin, Chuck Leavell, R.E.M., Jermaine Dupri, Ciara, Elton John, Ray Charles, Alan Jackson, James Brown, Jessye Norman, B-52’s, Bryan-Michael Cox, Toni Braxton, Byron Cage, Kenny Rogers, Van Hunt, Jeff Foxworthy, Jagged Edge, Toomp, Brendan O’Brien, Bill Anderson, Montel Jordan, Kelly Price, Otis Redding, Monica, Bow Wow, Ann Nesby, Collective Soul, Luther Barnes, Indigo Girls, Young Joc, Johnta Austin, Kendrick Dean, Chris “Tricky” Stewart, Mastodon, Shawn Mullins, Peabo Bryson, Lil Jon, Allman Brothers, Third Day, Freddy Cole and Travis Tritt.

Georgia’s music industry includes over 1000 establishments, a significant number of which are recording studios, including several that have been awarded GRAMMYS®, Dove Awards, American Music Awards, Emmys and Oscars for their contributions to stellar music and film recordings.
While i do not disagree on many accounts i would also argue that many places have a rich tradition and many recording studios etc (Nashville, Detroit, philly just to name a few)

The Grammys are a celebration of the indusrty thanking themselves, very much a hollywood ideal in a way

Atlanta just does not have that same cache in this perspective and not even close nor would any other place except NYC

And on radio stations, doesnt every cities radio station do this, i am confused by these arguments honestly, Allman brothers and Kenny Rogers or even REM or the b 52s, yes everyplace has bands from the past, present and future.

Yes Atlanta has more of a scene than most cities right now but on a level with LA, seriously or NY this is the Atlanta stuff that just makes me look in bewilderment at times. It is great to love your city no doubt but at times Atlanta seems to have a perception that is very far from reality

other than some hip hop folks would anyone in the industry have a real desire to have a show like this in Atlanta? Seriously

So Pink and Taylor swift are from Philly so the Grammys should be there, uh no

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-17-2011 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.