Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:49 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

What I want people to understand is how important census records are for future genealogy. While it's natural to feel a bit like you don't want the government to be keeping track of you, in a few generations, these records may be the only record of you or your family's existance.
Any given census does not become public for 72 years, to protect the privacy of living people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 08:32 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
It does seem off....you're right! I wasn't that worried going into the release of the results but as I see more and more places getting "screwed" by the results I'm starting to worry more.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:50 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,621 times
I dont think its off, seems about right. I read on a Texas site that the estimates they gave were very generous ones and alot of them were over estimated. As of the 2010 Census, Houston has 2,099,451 not the estimated 2,257,926 and Dallas has 1,197,816 not the estimated 1,300,000.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM

298 posts, read 595,965 times
The fact is...we don't know if it is correct or not and never will. I have always said the so called census is a legal means to manipulate numbers to favor certain states ,cities, and even Counties in some cases.

It's how you get your name in the hat is what I want to know.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:44 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBall View Post
The fact is...we don't know if it is correct or not and never will. I have always said the so called census is a legal means to manipulate numbers to favor certain states ,cities, and even Counties in some cases.

It's how you get your name in the hat is what I want to know.
Your name in what hat?

I am sure when the Constitution was written they were worried about manipulating the numbers of the census to favor certain states.
The census is the best means we have of getting a count but if someone has a better way I am sure you could be a millionaire in a short amount of time by selling your idea.

I see a lot of posts here that seem to think there is some nefarious plot here but the reason you did not see cities reaching the estimated populations in very simple.
The projections were based on past migration trends, when the housing crisis came about vast numbers of people could not sell their homes and thus could not move, many then lost jobs and added to the number that could not move. This all just about stalled the migration trends that the estimates were based on and thus you have much lower numbers than projected.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The estimate is a guess based on past trends but trends change and that is why the count was short of the estimate while other areas will be higher than estimates.

On what basis are you asserting that these areas have a higher population?

For one, the numbers are always off due to the lack of participation in the census. I understand that the estimates go off the previous trends and therefore can lead to a higher statistical estimate. But, you can not believe for one minute that the census bureau's counts are always correct and doesn't need to be tweaked and find a better way to conduct the census to avoid the lack of participation. Every decennial census is below the true counts because of the lack of participation. The census bureau should at least revert back to working with each state's designated department that handles the census on a larger scale level. That would help more in accuracy. It should also allow each state to conduct and handle its own census and basically report their findings to the bureau. That would ease alot of pressure away from the bureau trying to conduct an entire country's census in three months. I believe each individual state could conduct a more thorough and accurate census for its state.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:30 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,892,470 times
The participation rates are similar in most major cities, Everyone fell in love with the estimates so they became an estimated truth, these numbers are more accurate, just because people dont like them doesnt make them wrong

And while the local or state is an interesting suggestion it creates a conflict of interest and would never be allowed plus because of the significance of districting for legislation there needs to be ONE methodology accross all areas

Old 02-22-2011, 11:41 AM

298 posts, read 595,965 times
Quote:
Your name in what hat?

I am sure when the Constitution was written they were worried about manipulating the numbers of the census to favor certain states.
The census is the best means we have of getting a count but if someone has a better way I am sure you could be a millionaire in a short amount of time by selling your idea.

I see a lot of posts here that seem to think there is some nefarious plot here but the reason you did not see cities reaching the estimated populations in very simple.
The projections were based on past migration trends, when the housing crisis came about vast numbers of people could not sell their homes and thus could not move, many then lost jobs and added to the number that could not move. This all just about stalled the migration trends that the estimates were based on and thus you have much lower numbers than projected.
When our Constitution was written, manipulation of numbers was the last thing on their minds. They just assumed everyone in the future would have as much integrity as they did. Our forefathers had more integrity in the soles of their shoes than any politician of today.

I see nothing wrong with the census it's self or the way it's conducted but, the true numbers are never seen in some cases. We have a census so we don't have to estimate. Do the count and let the numbers fall how they may. But, when politician's get involved and all the DEALS are made yes, the numbers are manipulated. Can I prove it...no Can you prove it don't happen...no.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberAzeneth View Post
For one, the numbers are always off due to the lack of participation in the census. I understand that the estimates go off the previous trends and therefore can lead to a higher statistical estimate. But, you can not believe for one minute that the census bureau's counts are always correct and doesn't need to be tweaked and find a better way to conduct the census to avoid the lack of participation. Every decennial census is below the true counts because of the lack of participation. The census bureau should at least revert back to working with each state's designated department that handles the census on a larger scale level. That would help more in accuracy. It should also allow each state to conduct and handle its own census and basically report their findings to the bureau. That would ease alot of pressure away from the bureau trying to conduct an entire country's census in three months. I believe each individual state could conduct a more thorough and accurate census for its state.
The census is not just people sending back the form, there are many other parts to it to get the count right.
What better way is there? Letting the states, who would benefit from higher counts, tell the Fed what their count is? Yeah, that will work.
And you would need to have a standardized system rather than let each state choose their own way otherwise it would not be equitable.
And the census takes much longer than 3 months to get done.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,287 times
Quote:
The census is not just people sending back the form, there are many other parts to it to get the count right.
What better way is there? Letting the states, who would benefit from higher counts, tell the Fed what their count is? Yeah, that will work.
And you would need to have a standardized system rather than let each state choose their own way otherwise it would not be equitable.
And the census takes much longer than 3 months to get done.

Mike, I am not saying just the states only compiling their own census. I am saying that they should work better together to get more accurate results. They should work on a developing a more accurate standardized system. Do I know how to do that? No. But I think we can all agree that something does need to be done to form a more accurate count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.