Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times

Advertisements

The more I look at the statistical data for "two or more races" (biracial population), the more depressed I get. Given the amount of time after miscegenation was no longer abolished, the average for even many major cities is only at 3 percent!

PATHETIC! For Shame America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
The more I look at the statistical data for "two or more races" (biracial population), the more depressed I get. Given the amount of time after miscegenation was no longer abolished, the average for even many major cities is only at 3 percent!

PATHETIC! For Shame America!
Different races don't have to reproduce with each other in order to be tolerant of each other. They simply have to live and let live.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:59 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Different races don't have to reproduce with each other in order to be tolerant of each other. They simply have to live and let live.
If I'm going to be "tolerated" in the same way someone tolerates constant traffic jams or a kid kicking behind their seat, I'd rather be outright hatred! All I've ever seen from tolerance is passive aggressive, pent up frustration from the "toleraters." And from my experience, tolerance does not equal "live and let live" more than it means "don't show overt prejudice, but save it for job, housing, and social opportunities."

I'd much prefer acceptance than tolerance. But I guess only sparse parts of America have reached that level.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:10 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times
I get what you are saying - and I agree. Though I think I'd note that the number of people claiming to be bi-racial, and the number of people who actually are (given slave rapes, trails of tears, passing for white, and any number of other skeletons in America's racial closet) is two different numbers entirely. To some degree, being black is kinda like being 'Hispanic' - you're a mutt, predominately something or another, but there's something else in there as well. The number of white people who have come to discover this has grown as well (that passing for white phenomena). I recall a USA Today article some years ago featuring a blonde, blue-eyed real estate agent from Central Florida who found, through DNA testing, that he was a direct descendant of Genghis Khan, who was certainly not blonde and blue-eyed.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:21 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
I get what you are saying - and I agree. Though I think I'd note that the number of people claiming to be bi-racial, and the number of people who actually are (given slave rapes, trails of tears, passing for white, and any number of other skeletons in America's racial closet) is two different numbers entirely. To some degree, being black is kinda like being 'Hispanic' - you're a mutt, predominately something or another, but there's something else in there as well. The number of white people who have come to discover this has grown as well (that passing for white phenomena). I recall a USA Today article some years ago featuring a blonde, blue-eyed real estate agent from Central Florida who found, through DNA testing, that he was a direct descendant of Genghis Khan, who was certainly not blonde and blue-eyed.
One of the great things about living in Miami is that it broadens ones horizons regarding race, ethnicity and the like. While the Census appropriately separates its counts for Hispanics from any race, we still have stereotypes to overcome in this county. Essentially, many (if not most) Americans see Hispanics as all being American-indigenous people of Mexico with light brown skin.
In Miami, one meets blue eyed blonde Brasilians, Asian Peruvians and African Cubans. The reality is that the way we essentially define Hispanic/Latino in this county to mean practically anything in the Americas that's physically south of the USA is confusing to many who don't understand the basic truth of how the Americas were settled. Guess what? The Europeans and Africans and Asians went to South America as well as North America. From that, you get the same sort of blend of peoples that you find in North America. Nowhere in the US is that more evident than in Miami. So, Hispanics are mutts in the same way that non-Hispanics are. The fact that we decide that we have to essentially label people by whether or not their first language is Spanish confuses the hell out of me. It makes no sense. It makes even less sense how we just ignore that the largest country in this supposed Hispanic group doesn't even speak Spanish! But, we just lump Portuguese speakers in with the Spanish and sweep it under the rug. I have a friend who is Eastern European blood like myself but is from Brasil. So, because of that fact, he's considered Hispanic while I am not. WTF?

To further confuse this Census ethnicity issue, I ask the following question: Why don't we identify French Canadians separately in the Census? They have a different culture. They have a different "identity". They speak a different language from us. I guess they just check "not Hispanic"

Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Final list of counties that are above 70, based on the latest state's releases.

Hawaii County, HI: 85.4
Maui County, HI: 81.9
Kauai County, HI: 81.8
Bronx County, NY: 80.9
Queens County, NY: 80.4
Honolulu County, HI: 78.9
Aleutians East, AK: 78.8
Aleutians West, AK: 78.8
Alameda County, CA 78.0
Hudson County, NJ: 77.2
Los Angeles County, CA: 77.1
San Joaquin County, CA: 77.0
Cibola County, NM: 76.0
Solano County, CA: 76.0
Fort Bend County, TX: 75.3
Dallas County, TX: 74.9
Harris County, TX: 74.6
Santa Clara County, CA: 74.4
Kings County, NY: 74.4
Manassas Park, VA: 73.0
Fresno County, CA: 72.9
San Bernardino County, CA: 72.9
Robeson County, NC: 72.6
San Mateo County, CA: 72.3
Essex County, NJ: 71.7
Gwinnett County, GA: 71.4
Hoke County, NC: 71.2
New York County, NY: 71.2
Sacramento County, CA: 70.9
Kings County, CA: 70.8
Contra Costa County, CA: 70.5
Cook County, IL: 70.4
Yakutat County, AK: 70.4
San Francisco County, CA: 70.2

Out of the more than 3,000 counties there are in the United States, these 34 have diversity scores above 70 or in layman's terms, there is more than a 70% chance that any two given people are of two different ethnicities/races. Some of these scores are straight out puzzling to me, but who am I to complain? I'm just reporting the data. If you weigh it out by state, here's what it looks like:

California: 12
Hawaii: 4
New York: 4
Alaska: 3
Texas: 3
North Carolina: 2
New Jersey: 2
Illinois: 1
Virginia: 1
Georgia: 1
New Mexico: 1

Now that all that needs to be done is to add some integration scores to see how different 2000 and 2010 are. I sure as hell don't have the time to do that myself, so I'll wait for Brookings or someone else to analyze that.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Final diversity index by state

81 - Hawaii
73 - California
67 - New Mexico
66 - Texas
65 - Nevada
62 - New York
61 - Maryland
60 - Arizona
60 - New Jersey
59 - Florida
59 - Georgia
57 - Alaska
55 - Illinois
53 - Delaware
53 - Louisiana
53 - Mississippi
53 - Virginia
52 - North Carolina
51 - Oklahoma
51 - South Carolina
48 - Alabama
48 - Colorado
47 - Connecticut
46 - Washington
42 - Arkansas
41 - Massachusetts
41 - Rhode Island
40 - Tennessee
39 - Michigan
38 - Kansas
38 - Oregon
36 - Pennsylvania
35 - Utah
33 - Indiana
33 - Ohio
33 - Missouri
32 - Nebraska
31 - Minnesota
30 - Wisconsin
29 - Idaho
28 - South Dakota
27 - Wyoming
25 - Kentucky
23 - Montana
22 - Iowa
21 - North Dakota
15 - New Hampshire
13 - West Virginia
11 - Maine
11 - Vermont

Old 03-24-2011, 05:16 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Out of the more than 3,000 counties there are in the United States, these 34 have diversity scores above 70 or in layman's terms, there is more than a 70% chance that any two given people are of two different ethnicities/races.
How many races/ethnicities are there for purposes of this comparison?

If there are four races and perfect diversity (25/25/25/25), then the odds two randomly selected people are of different races is 75%. Does that mean you basically have to have a significant Native American/Pacific Islander influx to be >75%?

Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
How many races/ethnicities are there for purposes of this comparison?

If there are four races and perfect diversity (25/25/25/25), then the odds two randomly selected people are of different races is 75%. Does that mean you basically have to have a significant Native American/Pacific Islander influx to be >75%?
Yes, pretty much. The groups in consideration (all weighted equally) are:

White
Black
American Indian
Asian
Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian
Two or More Races
Hispanic (which may be of any race)
(May include Other Race, but not too sure)

This is why Hawaii scores so high. Despite the fact that there's a noticeable absence of two groups (Black and American Indian), there are more than enough Whites, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Two or More Races, and Hispanics (on the low end, for sure, but at 8.9% of the population its still noticeable) to more than make up for it.

For an eerily similar case, New Mexico, despite not having that many Blacks, Asians, or Pacific Islanders, has enough Hispanics, Non Hispanic Whites, American Indians, and a token Two or More Race population to have a higher diversity score than Texas (not for long, I suspect)

For the rest of the states, its pretty much the mixture of "Asian/Hispanic/Black/Non-Hispanic Whites" that determine the diversity score. Despite the fact that California is losing Black people, it has an increasing Pacific Islander, American Indian, and Two or More Races (especially) people to help boost the score. How long this will last, I don't know.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

49 posts, read 53,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Yes, pretty much. The groups in consideration (all weighted equally) are:

White
Black
American Indian
Asian
Pacific Islander/Native Hawaiian
Two or More Races
Hispanic (which may be of any race)
(May include Other Race, but not too sure)

This is why Hawaii scores so high. Despite the fact that there's a noticeable absence of two groups (Black and American Indian), there are more than enough Whites, Asians, Pacific Islanders, Two or More Races, and Hispanics (on the low end, for sure, but at 8.9% of the population its still noticeable) to more than make up for it.

For an eerily similar case, New Mexico, despite not having that many Blacks, Asians, or Pacific Islanders, has enough Hispanics, Non Hispanic Whites, American Indians, and a token Two or More Race population to have a higher diversity score than Texas (not for long, I suspect)

For the rest of the states, its pretty much the mixture of "Asian/Hispanic/Black/Non-Hispanic Whites" that determine the diversity score. Despite the fact that California is losing Black people, it has an increasing Pacific Islander, American Indian, and Two or More Races (especially) people to help boost the score. How long this will last, I don't know.
NY could be higher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.