Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,563,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Move over, Honolulu; Pittsburgh's No. 1 in U.S.

Apparently the ranking is based on these factors: stability (what stability? Massive population loss, plumetting home values, soaring unemployment), health care, education (I haven't heard anything good about Detroit city schools), infrastructure (what's left of it) and (thug) culture and environment (rampant crime? blight? abandonment?).

So, how much did Detroit pay The Economist to be ranked 7th best city in the US? Wouldn't even Cleveland make more sense than Detroit?

I'm not saying Detroit doesn't have potential.
You know, the article doesn't specify if it's referring to city only or to MSA. That could make a world of difference in the rankings. Metro Detroit is a lot healthier than the inner core alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:14 PM

285 posts, read 642,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
oh yea because every house in Detroit is a $100

not even most try again
Just a joke, chillax

Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
People hear Detroit and think about the 18% of people who live in the central city of Detroit, not the 82% of people who live in the suburban areas - which are actually quite nice by suburban standards, have good schools, very low crime and low costs of living. My friends from Detroit - metro Detroit - always giggle when everyone gives them the "oh my god" when they say where they're from.

It's the same with a lot of cities. I say I'm from Chicago and people instantly think west/south side ghettos and crime. As if the other part of the city where a large majority of the population lives just doesn't exist.

Or people who assume if you live in NYC, you must therefore live in Midtown.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
People hear Detroit and think about the 18% of people who live in the central city of Detroit, not the 82% of people who live in the suburban areas - which are actually quite nice by suburban standards, have good schools, very low crime and low costs of living. My friends from Detroit - metro Detroit - always giggle when everyone gives them the "oh my god" when they say where they're from.

It's the same with a lot of cities. I say I'm from Chicago and people instantly think west/south side ghettos and crime. As if the other part of the city where a large majority of the population lives just doesn't exist.

Or people who assume if you live in NYC, you must therefore live in Midtown.
Look, everyone in the city limits isn't poor and living in poverty either. Omit the burbs, there is still a lot about Detroit alone people don't see because they are constantly being pushed a certain image. All of the "burbs" aren't so great either. Im tired of people saying what's bolded. Like do you honestly think every burb is great and the whole city is terrible.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
It must be all those $100 dollar houses
Those $100 homes are just the ones that are basically beyond repair and are not livable. If you exclude these and just focus on the houses that are 100%kept up it is very different picture.

Detroit, Michigan, and the auto industry is all about boom and bust.

Anyone who understands this, knows that from 1910 through the 60s, with a dip in the depression

Detroit also has always been a city of homeowners, where every nut and bolt turner was able to afford a home . . .

well if there was a national recession, the first thing Americans do, is to hold off on a new car, when that happens, and everyone gets laid off all at once, and can't sell their home, they walk away from it, and occassionally in a risky move to try to get insurance money, they will torch it, thus you have the post-apocalyptic urban wasteland that you see on youtube.

However dig a bit deeper, you will find that some of the most gorgeous mansion neighborhoods hold up very well even in the recession, its just that then they are affordable to middle class people.

The 70s and 80s were bad for Detroit and everything connected the 90s and early 2000s were generally good. The metro area actually grew by 5.2% because Ford, GM, and Chrysler and any business with any connection at all to them, (I'm talking about white collared, research and development, engineers, advertising, etc. I'm not talking assembly workers here) did well, and the area did well. The last 6-8 years have been bad for the area, but not things are starting to look up.

Metro Detroit has great cultural assets and offerings that people have no clue about.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Look, everyone in the city limits isn't poor and living in poverty either. Omit the burbs, there is still a lot about Detroit alone people don't see because they are constantly being pushed a certain image. All of the "burbs" aren't so great either. Im tired of people saying what's bolded. Like do you honestly think every burb is great and the whole city is terrible.
Several neighborhoods on the far northwest side of Detroit (Palmer Park-Sherwood Forest-University District and then Grandmont-Rosedale look a lot nicer and more grand than the inner ring of Macomb county or much of downriver.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Several neighborhoods on the far northwest side of Detroit (Palmer Park-Sherwood Forest-University District and then Grandmont-Rosedale look a lot nicer and more grand than the inner ring of Macomb county or much of downriver.
yes!

There are plenty of those type of neighborhoods, upper and upper middle and middle class: West-those you named, East-The villages (Indian, West, Joseph Berry, Gold Coast), Northend-Boston Edison, Alden Park, Grixdale etc and PLENTY of intact regular, working neighborhoods. It urks me that everybody really think we are all living in urban praries smh

I mean honestly I have no problem with people showing the hood but urban praries as the only image gets annoying. We have areas that are the hood but still most of the homes are occupied and standing

like this

Photo by Detroitsky

Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Here's a link I find fascinating:

The Other Side of Detroit

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Here's a link I find fascinating:

The Other Side of Detroit
Yep, I have that link in my favorites! lol that shows the majority of the housing in Detroit really looks like

Old 02-25-2011, 12:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
It's cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.