Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have never been to the midwest, but my perception is that it's almost entirely flat, tree-less, boring, low income and cold. I still would like to spend some time there, however.
You just described North Dakota. Fortunately, there are 10 other Midwest states that don't fit the description.

Last edited by northstar22; 02-23-2011 at 05:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I dunno... probably for me it would be the weather. Out here in Cali it seems like the single biggest block of people I've met from somewhere else are from the Midwest. Most moved here because they couldn't stand the cold winters anymore. I've driven through Indiana, Ohio, Oklahoma, and also taken a trip to Michigan. Perhaps it was just what I personally saw but it seemed like a lot of it was dreary and bleak. The people I met were definitely different, but not in a bad way. I'm Southern and we tend to like to swap stories. People in the Midwest seemed really reserved to me. As in they don't talk about themselves at all, which sort of gives off this cold shoulder vibe to me. Then again- I'm Southern so they're perhaps the stark opposite of us in terms of social mannerisms.
Oklahoma is NOT the Midwest. It's part of the South, like Arkansas or South Carolina.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:57 PM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have never been to the midwest, but my perception is that it's almost entirely flat, tree-less, boring, low income and cold. I still would like to spend some time there, however.
Its true that you will not find mountain ranges in the Midwest and that many areas are very flat, but it is certainly not entirely flat and treeless. Northern parts of Michigan (the lower peninsula) are very hilly, Southern and eastern parts of Ohio, and many parts of Wisconsin to name a few. All of these areas have beautiful scenery, ski resorts, and are heavily forested.

It is a very large region, so in terms of income it really depends where you are. Most metro regions have high income areas. Minneapolis has one of the highest average incomes of any metro in the country. Despite Detroit's economic woes, it still has some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country.

For most parts of the Midwest winters are cold (for 3-5 months of the year), but summers are warm and not nearly as uncomfortable as in the south.

Here is a picture of one of the hilliest cities in the country, Cincinnati:

...I'm just editing this post to let you know that this picture is backwards...oops...it still looks cool though

Old 02-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
Its true that you will not find mountain ranges in the Midwest and that many areas are very flat, but it is certainly not entirely flat and treeless. Northern parts of Michigan (the lower peninsula) are very hilly, Southern and eastern parts of Ohio, and many parts of Wisconsin to name a few. All of these areas have beautiful scenery, ski resorts, and are heavily forested.
Southern and Southeastern Ohio are part of the Appalachian South, not the Midwest. Despite being in a "Midwest" state, those areas are no more Midwestern than Eastern Tennessee or Kentucky.

You also forgot the Black Hills in South Dakota for tree-covered, mountainous areas of the Midwest.

Quote:
For most parts of the Midwest winters are cold (for 3-5 months of the year), but summers are warm and not nearly as uncomfortable as in the south.

Cincinnati is a Southern city. Also, if you're including Cincinnati as Midwest (although it isn't), it has nearly identical summers to Atlanta. Hot and humid.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM

285 posts, read 642,189 times
Uh...thanks for the corrections...I guess, but if you want to start a debate about whether or not Cincy is Midwestern there are plenty of threads for that on the Ohio forum. I believe they conclude that it is definitely Midwestern, with a little southern flavor. Anyways, northeastern Ohio (Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Youngstown) is hilly and there are popular ski resorts east of Cleveland. Therefore, Midwest does not = all flat and boring topography. People from Columbus also travel to southeastern Ohio for its beautiful parks in the foothills of the Appalachians, therefore I think that makes it Midwestern.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Never understood how hills can be that exciting. They really aren't. The midwest is boring across the board with an overall straitjacketed mentality. A lot of people are still one-generation divided from the farm. Anyone who wants to move to LA or NY is usually looked down upon slightly as being strange - but not if it's a bigger midwestern or southern city. There are big cities like Chicago and Minneapolis, yet they still come across as very Midwestern, especially Chicago, even with it's high number of foreigners. Minneapolis has a more "coastal" vibe to it, similar to Seattle or San Francisco, it's by far the least "midwestern" city in the midwest.

Besides those two cities, the rest are virtually interchangeable with slight differences here and there (excluding state laws). One might have better shopping, a bigger airport, more liberal politics, more diverse in a certain ethnicity, larger suburban network, etc.

One thing is for sure, every medium-to-large midwestern city wants to present itself as more "liberal" than it usually is to imply coastal major city status. You don't see coastal cities trying to present themselves are more conservative to be more like the midwestern cities. Also, liberal in the midwest isn't the same as liberal in California. It's two different ballparks. Liberal in the midwest is very watered down, and the strong liberals in the midwest usually end up coming across like they're only doing it for shock value, because it's so rare.

I've lived on the coast and currently in the midwest.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:11 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
Quote:

It is a very large region, so in terms of income it really depends where you are. Most metro regions have high income areas. Minneapolis has one of the highest average incomes of any metro in the country. Despite Detroit's economic woes, it still has some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country.

...I'm just editing this post to let you know that this picture is backwards...oops...it still looks cool though
The nasty winter usually lasts from 2 weeks to a month. The comfortable cool/cold weather lasts about 2 months. People dramatize winter far too much.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Its true that you will not find mountain ranges in the Midwest
Last time I checked, the Ozarks were classified as a mountain range (along with the lesser known St. Francois mountains), and yes, part of it is solidly in the Midwest.
The Ozarks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Francois Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2011, 06:14 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
When the Midwest is discovered by explorers, I will believe it exists. Until then, it is nothing more than that strange smelling green area between NYC and California.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:16 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,754,124 times
Yes, the Ozarks are a mountain range. Right up there with the Rockies. Only midwesterners would argue such mundane things on terms of a technicality.

To be honest, that is a very Midwestern trait. I've never encountered such frivolous banter nearly as much anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.