Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2011, 11:09 PM

21 posts, read 42,575 times

Advertisements

I have just been accpeted to three graduate schools. They are very similar in length, cost, job rates after graduating, class size, etc., so my decision is being made based on where I want to live, and can afford to live. My choices are east idaho, northeast colorado, and northeast tennessee. I'm a young woman, about to get married, and we have a small dog. My fiance will be working while I'm in school, but a budget is still a big deal for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 11:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseegal2011 View Post
I have just been accpeted to three graduate schools. They are very similar in length, cost, job rates after graduating, class size, etc., so my decision is being made based on where I want to live, and can afford to live. My choices are east idaho, northeast colorado, and northeast tennessee. I'm a young woman, about to get married, and we have a small dog. My fiance will be working while I'm in school, but a budget is still a big deal for us!
Where in NE Colorado? Ain't nothing out there but farms.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:45 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
I would opt for Northeast Tennessee (East Tennessee State?). If I'm correct in assuming location, the Tri-Cities area offers more than the two others in terms of things to do, job possibilities and more moderate weather. It's also geographically less remote than the other two. Good luck!

Tri-Cities, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

**** I just realized that you could also have meant Knoxville, Tennessee (U of Tennessee) when describing Northeast Tennessee. It would be more expensive than Johnson City but easily ahead of either eastern Idaho or northeast Colorado IMO.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Live where your fiance works.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:58 AM

its the fort collins area, and in tn it is the johnson city area....living where my fiance works is not an option because its 8 hours from the closest school I got into.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
Okay, Fort Collins is in Northern Colorado, not Northeastern Colorado.

Northeastern Colorado is about as exciting as living in a sea of grass. At least with Fort Collins you have an actual town, and stuff to do.

I'd recommend it, but I haven't been to TN or any of the larger towns in Eastern ID.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:34 AM

16,080 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
I'm a young woman, about to get married, and we have a small dog. My fiance will be working while I'm in school, but a budget is still a big deal for us!
Quote:
living where my fiance works is not an option because its 8 hours from the closest school I got into.
That's a little confusing, but assuming your fiance is not going with you I think I'd strongly recommend staying in TN. An eight hour road trip to see the BF is a little long but doable over a four day weekend. If flying back home to visit him frequently is within your budget then I say move wherever you think you will enjoy yourself most and get the best education for your money.
Johnson City is a nice area and close enough to both Knoxville and Ashville for some day trips, if you start feeling like you need to add some variety to your routine.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Sorry I was so unclear about this, I'm bad about that! My fiance and I are getting married in June, and he's going with me, so he will be looking for a new job....he does not have a degree, so we need to go somewhere entry level jobs are available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.