Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

I do not consider a condo building or other residential structure to be of any benefit to anyone other than the residents. As for office structures we have too many already, the internet should render them obsolete. A park, or tourist attraction, or even innovative rail system would be of more benefit. In my opinion in order to be a "best project" it has to be accessible to all. Overpriced developments are nothing beneficial to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:16 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I do not consider a condo building or other residential structure to be of any benefit to anyone other than the residents. As for office structures we have too many already, the internet should render them obsolete. A park, or tourist attraction, or even innovative rail system would be of more benefit. In my opinion in order to be a "best project" it has to be accessible to all. Overpriced developments are nothing beneficial to the community.
Like I said, if the condos in Miami are the best future projects, then I guess America has lost its creative edge.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:56 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Like I said, if the condos in Miami are the best future projects, then I guess America has lost its creative edge.
It has.

There is one city still trying. Chicago. The rest are either way behind or have no interest. It's all residential condos and co-ops

I have to say though that project in Fort Worth, Texas looks interesting. A wholel neighborhood being created. Very large scale, probably the only one of it's kind on that scale in the country. However Fort Worth's downtown core is surrounded by ghettos. Looks like they are going to vaporize a really run down industrial pocket. I also see they are going to tear down the housing projects just outside downtown. So the poor are getting the boot as usual.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:07 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
New york is still trying too! And anyway, the trend with skyscrapers today is residentials, but not all resientials look bad, like the chicago spire (chicago) or Signiture tower (nashville)

Old 07-24-2007, 02:12 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
I do not consider a condo building or other residential structure to be of any benefit to anyone other than the residents.
I'm inclined to disagree with you. A residential structure in an already-healthy downtown business district like Miami, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. might seem like overkill and a waste of space, but constructing a high-density residential project in a struggling downtown is a surefire way to give it an economic shot in the arm as the accompanying foot traffic from these new residents will help to improve the bottom lines of neighboring businesses, as well as encouraging more entrepreneurs to "cash in" with niche shops and restaurants. It will also serve to reduce criminal activity as there are more potential eyewitnesses in the neighborhood.

I'm already foreseeing this happening in the downtown business districts of Scranton and Wilkes-Barre in the next 2-4 years as several highly-anticipated residential projects are completed. Similar projects could serve to boost other sagging Rust-Belt cities like Binghamton, Elmira, Allentown, Harrisburg, Erie, Buffalo, etc. You might think such projects are "of no benefit" to a city, but I think picking up a few hundred people from the suburbs and plopping them downtown within walking distance to once-ailing businesses can be a Godsend.

Quote:
As for office structures we have too many already, the internet should render them obsolete.
Agreed. Scranton has so many office buildings that it can't fill them all with tenants while brand new office buildings in the suburbs are also sitting vacant.

Quote:
A park, or tourist attraction, or even innovative rail system would be of more benefit. In my opinion in order to be a "best project" it has to be accessible to all.
Agreed.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-24-2007 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-24-2007, 02:18 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
New york is still trying too! And anyway, the trend with skyscrapers today is residentials, but not all resientials look bad, like the chicago spire (chicago) or Signiture tower (nashville)
NYC is out the skyscraper race that is for sure. Freedom Tower is still a pit, wouldn't be the tallest anyway. It's all about building condos in Midtown for the wealthy. Lots of NIMBY's in NYC.

Chicago has a few plans to keep the tallest title in the USA. They still have the will.

The future of skyscrapers is in Asia.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:25 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
It is definetly still building skyscrapers! 1WTC (freedom tower) IS in a pit right now, but right now, concteet pouring is taking place and there is some steal being placed. It isn't about how tall it is anyway, its how it looks. And if you are saying the US is out of the race for tallest skyscraper, you are completely right. With the burj dubai over 610 meters, we are out of it, because the us can't go above 610meters, or 2000 feet. And yes, there is an incredible amount of NIMBYs in NYC. Chicago is building the tallest in the US, and that is great, but NY will always have the best skyline in the US, especially with the new WTC complex

And for now, your last statement is correct, but you never know what will happen

Old 07-24-2007, 03:41 PM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
Dubai I would say is currently in the lead for the skyscraper race every which way you look construction is happening, and the Burj Dubai currently under construction will be the worlds tallest building.

The US also has a lots of projects underway in many places such as Las Vegas, LA, Baltimore, New Jersey, Dallas, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami, New York, Chicago etc etc

Burj Dubai
http://aycu39.webshots.com/image/20318/2001022242344889181_rs.jpg (broken link)

A couple in Baltimore

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/23460/2001006783270723861_rs.jpg (broken link)

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/23460/2001092376260797013_rs.jpg (broken link)

Some of many for New York

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/23411/2001090431595936343_rs.jpg (broken link)

http://aycu21.webshots.com/image/23300/2001051716808491616_rs.jpg (broken link)

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/22666/2001009356526781782_rs.jpg (broken link)

http://aycu11.webshots.com/image/19010/2001084535229508300_rs.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Fort Worth, Texas: Trinity River Vision

http://www.trinityrivervision.org/images/Gal_Fort-Worth_Model_Image.jpg (broken link)

http://www.trinityrivervision.org/images/Gal_MPaerialLabel-thmb.jpg (broken link)

http://www.trinityrivervision.org/images/Gal_ModelShotLookingNorth.jpg (broken link)

This will expand downtown and help create more development in uptown. Also in the works along with this project are: A downtown Tarrant County College campus, a city plaza or sunken plaza, a possible boardwalk and riverwalk, Trinity Bluff (30-acre mixed use development).

We have more, but this is our biggest project (and this one WON'T be cancelled).
I look forward to Fort Worth's Trinity River Project! Go FW!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:57 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
I wonder if Houston, Dallas, or Atlanta will ever build any super-tall skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.