Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it Make a Difference or not?
Yes 33 73.33%
No 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times

Advertisements

Thats one of the most ridiculous outlines, why would Michigan want to deal with Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Toledo, and Cleveland all in one. These cities continually rank high in crime, and depression.
I also notice the other half of the state with Chicago. I know alot of people in Chicago would do just about anything to claim all of Lake Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It sure doesn't benefit Florida. Florida would trade the Redneck Riviera for just back wood redneck in Southern Georgia. At least with the panhandle, Florida benefits from the resort towns. It doesn't appear that Florida...err....Biscayne would even pick up Savannah. If you're going to give Southern Georgia, at the very least include Savannah!

As for what "was" the majority of North Carolina (now Albemarle) the big losses are Charlotte and Asheville. What "Albemarle" gains is much more coast line with both Hampton Roads and Myrtle Beach in addition to the Southern Virginia counties that are, in fact, part of the Triangle's and Triad's TV markets anyway. I'd say that the population would be a wash with the additions and subtractions.

The new "Piedmont" state is really hardly anything more than the current bloated Metro Atlanta CSA.

The new "Carolina" is a strange shape to me and doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Charlotte would be the big city of the state by far but placed very decentralized in it. I think that would be a problem.

I agree that is a really stupid map...

You should have the Gulf Coast split from about edge of Western LA to somewhere in the panhandle...but not upwards. Then give GA Jacksonville section, then FL would just be the rest of FL.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:27 PM

192 posts, read 412,055 times
As a Cleveland resident, it seems better to be in the same state as Pittsburgh than Columbus and Cincy. The two cities are more connected to each other than the rest of Ohio or PA. In fact, I even made up a state where Cleveland and Pittsburgh are together, and named it Allegheny

Old 07-17-2012, 06:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
New York (or whatever state had that city & metro) would become the most powerful state. California & Texas would both get screwed with this. So nope, just even trying to vision that wouldn't work out nicely for collective thoughts.
Old post but I do not think Texas is really that screwed by this. She retains the bulk of her prime territory and population. However, I do agree that California is screwed by this proposal.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:09 PM

581 posts, read 969,228 times
The proposed "Chesapeake" looks nice.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,220,834 times
3 things

1.I dont understand why alaska needs to be split into two.

2.This would ruin a lot of small cities that exist only because of their political power. The map seems to preserve major city's power in a state nicely and doesnt do anything stupid like making minneapolis grouped with the dakotas, wyoming, montana for example.

3.I think this would ruin vast areas of the country but overall the most economically important areas would benfit from this change.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:39 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That almost looks like a map of Major Trading Areas, which is my favorite geographic division.

Major Trading Areas are a combination of interdependent Economic Areas(or Basic Trading Areas)

I think of them almost like city-states. LOL.

http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/data/maps/mta.pdf
Here's a cleaner version of that:
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/info/m...s/mtacolor.pdf

Old 07-18-2012, 11:50 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
It seems this has to do with wireless licencing? I'd like to see the methodology.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:50 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Does This seem like a good idea or not?

mental_floss on tumblr
Bad idea because it assumes a static population. What if populations migrated to re-create the problems this plan seeks to address?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,180,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Makes sense. The states were set up at a time when communication and transportation were poor, so smaller states were favored. It's not a coincidence that the states get bigger as you go west - both communication and transportation improved dramatically over the years. Today, we have fifty governments which often perform duplicate functions which could be handled much more efficiently by the federal government, or at least by a much smaller number of districts (states) than 50. That's why the current Tea Party push for states' rights kind of baffles me.

States are irrelevant today imo. Maybe it's just my perspective as someone from South Jersey who works and plays in Philadelphia during the summers, and who during the rest of the year attends college in Maryland but always goes to DC.
Sorry but I don't want people in other regions to influence the Pacific Northwest anymore than they already do with a pure federal system. But - I do think maybe we could divide the US into like 12 or 13 regions rather than 50 states. I mean what's the difference between Idaho and Montana or Alabama and Mississippi, or North Dakota and Minnesota? Nothing too meaningful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.