Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 03:31 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
In my childhood in the 1950s, although on the one hand there was de facto racial segregation, in other ways there seemed to be less class polarization (within the white population). I grew in Prince Georges County at the city limits of southeast Washington, D.C. Today this is a very downscale neighborhood with an almost completely African-American population, poor schools, and little shopping.

In the 1950s, however, I remember numerous doctors and dentists lived there, alongside their mixed blue- and white-collar neighbors, in small modest Cape Cod houses, and actually practiced in offices attached to their homes ! ! (I guess for one thing, they were grateful just to be in America, some of them having escaped the Nazi holocaust). We also had many rocket scientists/ physicists who worked at the government research facility, 2 miles away. These people were content to live in very modest homes, and their kids attended school with kids from working-class families. A friend of mine similarly said his childhood physician lived in a working-class row house in Philadelphia near his patients. By today's standards, this would be very odd.

Today, most of the doctors and dentists practicing in my old neighborhood, commute an hour each way from the opposite side of Washington (the north or west suburbs). They demand homes in the very best school districts, with country clubs and golf. Most of the government scientists now commute from across the river in Virginia, or else much further out in outlying Counties. All of this extreme commuting, badly strains the traffic system and the environment/global warming.

I think this really touches on something that has been lost with time. Our society has grown much more stratified in terms of wealth. the rich at the top keep getting richer and richer, miles above everyone else, and the people below them grow farther and farther apart from each other.
It used to be people of different classes enjoyed more or less the same activities and diversions. now, the working and middle classes barely mingle. They live in separate neighborhoods, drive to different malls, shop at different stores, go to different schools and so on. I think people have a lot to learn from those who are different from them, and it's a pity people nowdays seem to only want to live near people just like them.

ill get off my soapbox now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:53 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
I think this really touches on something that has been lost with time. Our society has grown much more stratified in terms of wealth. the rich at the top keep getting richer and richer, miles above everyone else, and the people below them grow farther and farther apart from each other.
It used to be people of different classes enjoyed more or less the same activities and diversions. now, the working and middle classes barely mingle. They live in separate neighborhoods, drive to different malls, shop at different stores, go to different schools and so on. I think people have a lot to learn from those who are different from them, and it's a pity people nowdays seem to only want to live near people just like them.

ill get off my soapbox now...
Pre-1960 people didn't drive to different malls. That's because there were virtually no malls. In medium and small cities, everyone went downtown to shop, be entertained, conduct business, etc. The rich, the poor and the middle class all mixed much more frequently than they do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.