Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 PM

285 posts, read 641,889 times

Advertisements

I know its far fetched, but does anyone think that the Midwestern region of the country (the part that was once the Northwest Territory) would be better off if it was its own nation? Could manufacturing thrive there as it once did if it had a government more focused on its interests? D.C. is one of the wealthiest metros in the country and it has thrived by using tax payers money while cities like Detroit have struggled. Would it benefit the region to bring the tax payers money back home to a Midwestern national capital? What I mean by the Midwest is the Great Lakes, manufacturing states (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota). It could possibly avoid Washington's wars and focus on quality of life issues like education and health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:27 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,807,887 times
I want no part of that country for Minnesota. The Twin Cities don't really fit in with a lot of the Midwest east of Chicago and we would lose our connections to places like the Northwest. Also Iowa and the Dakotas are important to our local economy. I would worry that under this scenario we would be an appendix to the rust belt, bled dry for the interests of Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.

Minnesconsin as an independent country might be doable.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-01-2011 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 10:47 PM

737 posts, read 1,653,461 times
It's funny the Twin Cities really do seem like the origins of California and the west coast. It's unlike the majority of eastern mid-west cities. Very laid back vibe here. I like it.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:54 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,649 times
The Midwest might survive but the other country would die without our agriculture.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,608 times
I think a problem lies as well as the Great Lakes states are quite different from the rest of the Midwest states. I feel as if the Great Lakes states would fair better with the East Coast or my personal preference Canada.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,374,384 times
I think these Great Lakes states should have their own region name, separate from the rest of the states currently considered the "Midwest." Still included with this country absolutely. These states are vital to the progression of this country.

Better than Conservative states hit the road and form a separate nation.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:45 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,368,221 times
No, that would be shameful.I'm agree about Detroit and other struggling cities, DC isn't focused on them, they need help.
But these cities/states problems are their own faults...Detroit were entirely focused on the auto industry, an economy must be diverse...Houston understood that 30 years ago, look at it now : strong growth, very dynamic economy...Or look at Indiana, this state is back on track now, a bright future ahead.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,648 times
I think all the states would be better off if we got rid of this federalist mentality that has bled this country dry for centuries. Give the power and majority of the decision/law making back to the states, and use the federal gov't only as a means of protecting the interests of the people as a whole. Too much of tax-payer money is spent, "lost", or mis-appropriated by political/corporate goons that supposedly have our best interests in mind.......and look at where it's gotten us.
The feds need less power, and less of our money; give it back to the states, and heck, why don't we keep some of it?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,406,945 times
Minnesota is not a Great Lakes/Rustbelt state. Especially not western Minnesota, which is basically an extension of the Dakotas. I'd rather see MN join Canada.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,118 times
If this happened I'd only have to move 45 mins away to be in Kentucky so go for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.