Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM

607 posts, read 2,980,374 times

Advertisements

for Detroit it would be the Comerica tower or the guardian buiding. the guardian's lobby alone is spectacular, with the gold ceiling and the giant michigan map. comerica tower is nicer outside, but also very business type in side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM

147 posts, read 690,475 times
in dayton
kettering tower

Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 AM

762 posts, read 1,750,112 times
Default Big Apple's best

I have an advantage in this category -- I live in NYC!

I have two faves. Most beautiful here has to be the Chrysler building. And although I do love the Empire State building, I think the Woolworth building downtown is prettier.
Attached Thumbnails
the most beautiful skyscraper in your city-chrysler_building.jpg   the most beautiful skyscraper in your city-woolworth_building.jpg  

Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post

I have two faves. Most beautiful here has to be the Chrysler building. And although I do love the Empire State building, I think the Woolworth building downtown is prettier.
The Woolworth is gorgeous. I've always enjoyed that building.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Quote:

Oh yes! You are very lucky! I have seen NY 2 times I always in December because I love Christmas period) and....It's very wonderful!!!!

In Italy...uhm...nothing
We haven't a beautiful skycraper

Old 07-27-2007, 02:05 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
I usually consider Baltimore or washington 'my city' even though i live 45mins away, and Baltimore is the only one with skyscrapers, so my favorite skyscraper in baltimore is without a doubt, bank of america

Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

134 posts, read 563,007 times
For Pittsburgh I'd say The University of Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning. Being isolated from downtown it stands alone and is a very interesting building. I've always found the nationality rooms (rooms devoted to different cultures) fascinating as well. To read more aobut them The Nationality Rooms - Welcome!

Not sure on the copywrite rules of this site, so here is a link to a pic.
http://www.pitt.edu/AFShome/s/o/sorc/public/html/goseca/pictures/cathedral.jpg (broken link)

Also at 535 feet it is the tallest education building in North America and 2nd tallest in the world.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
Quote:

Yes you do, citychik! The Chrysler is widely regarded as the best looking skyscraper of the classic 20th century era. I also enjoy the story of them sneaking the uppermost spire up the interior of the structure and poking it out of the top during the end of its construction. Nothing beats that Art Nouveau. The Woolworth was tall, I think, for so long, and the Empire State topped it a few months later but, the Chrysler is the **it. That is, for us fans of architecture. The top really says a lot. In my hometown, The Century Towers. These are twin, triangular towers whose points face each other. They're plain but elegant at the same time. Topped out in '76, I still think the're the most beautiful in L. A. Here in Vegas, The Bellagio. The fountains are their own attraction, but it's not a skyscraper.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:56 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,345,179 times
Not the biggest, but I still like the Denver Clock Tower: http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...clocktower.jpg

Old 08-01-2007, 09:24 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
LOL - I always wonder about these threads - "tallest skyscraper in your city", "picture of the best building in your city", "most famous people born in your city" - unless nearly everyone on this board actually LIVES in the city they mention, the question isn't being answered. My nearest city is NYC, but I don't post pictures of it, mention famous ppl, etc, because I DON'T LIVE THERE.

My tallest building is a 2 story doctor's complex, lol.

Does everyone actually LIVE in the city they post about?
It's still your city, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.