Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Sorry, but Indy's construction rate is just awful compared to its peers nationally.

Through August this year, developers applied to build just 201 multi-family units in the entire city, and that is essentially Marion County, a far larger area included than most of the peer cities. It's supposed sister city Columbus had more than 10x that number. In fact, Columbus had more multi-family units permitted through August in the core city alone than Indy had in its entire metro area (2308 vs. 1746). 94.1% of all of this year's permitted multi-family units are being built within the core city of Columbus vs. it's metro while the entirety of Marion County only counts for 11.5% of the metro's multi-family units. This is in the bottom half of the bottom half compared to its national peers as well as to other major Midwest metros.

Almost all of the neighborhoods you mentioned lost population the last decade. Indy was one of the few cities nationally that actually saw a decline in the number of urban census tracts around the downtown area that saw population growth vs. the previous decade. Maybe that is turning around, but the construction numbers don't really bear that out.
As someone who doesn't know Columbus at all, what is the "core city" of Columbus? I more or less consider Center Township Indy's ""core", like I consider the 1945 city limits KC's "core" but don't really know where the pre-war core is in Columbus or if there is a good, clear representative of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 07:34 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
As someone who doesn't know Columbus at all, what is the "core city" of Columbus? I more or less consider Center Township Indy's ""core", like I consider the 1945 city limits KC's "core" but don't really know where the pre-war core is in Columbus or if there is a good, clear representative of it.
I was talking basically about the city limits, as in core city of the metro, not the dead center of the city itself. Which is what makes those numbers so bad for Indy. Even including all of Marion County, which includes more than 200 more square miles than all of Columbus, Columbus still has 10x more. Most of that construction, however, is occurring within or just adjacent to the 1950 core city boundary.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Aside from population size and being in the Midwest, they're actually very different in tons of ways.
They're similar insofar as both cities (through different processes) managed to annex a ton of their suburbs, which meant they avoided going through a population decline like surrounding cities did in the Midwest. They're also both state capitals, and were always a bit more white collar than their peers.

Columbus is more of a "real city" than Indy, but pretty unimpressive in terms of urban feel compared to true rust belt cities. IMHO it has too many parking lots in the core, but at least has some nice grit and a lot of remaining historic buildings. I don't like how highways cut off downtown from all the surrounding residential areas, but it still has large, beautiful urban neighborhoods near downtown like German Village where you could (theoretically) walk to downtown, where Indy's residential historic areas close to downtown are a few scattered blocks here and there.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Featureless landscape. miserable weather. Thats enough.
I really despise idiots who live in a desert.....and claim they live in a superior environment to a full-throttled four season, fertile, verdant place like the capital of Indiana.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:40 AM

555 posts, read 861,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I really despise idiots who live in a desert.....and claim they live in a superior environment to a full-throttled four season, fertile, verdant place like the capital of Indiana.
Haha. This made me laugh.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalChic View Post
Hello. I've enjoyed reading people's opinions on various American cities. I grew up in Honolulu, HI and currently live in a small city in Japan, right outside of Tokyo...so yes, I have been around. I'm moving to Indy to live with my fiancee in the beginning of the year. I went to visit this spring and absolutely LOVED it. I really don't get why people are guzzling on the haterade when it comes to Indy.
I liked Indianapolis when I visited it. I especially liked the more rural area right outside on the way to the airport. This was in the early 2000s.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:16 PM

555 posts, read 861,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Exactly. If any place is featureless its the Desert. Sand and more sand as far as the eye can see.
You just made it blatantly obvious you have never even been out here. Good job!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They're similar insofar as both cities (through different processes) managed to annex a ton of their suburbs, which meant they avoided going through a population decline like surrounding cities did in the Midwest. They're also both state capitals, and were always a bit more white collar than their peers.

Columbus is more of a "real city" than Indy, but pretty unimpressive in terms of urban feel compared to true rust belt cities. IMHO it has too many parking lots in the core, but at least has some nice grit and a lot of remaining historic buildings. I don't like how highways cut off downtown from all the surrounding residential areas, but it still has large, beautiful urban neighborhoods near downtown like German Village where you could (theoretically) walk to downtown, where Indy's residential historic areas close to downtown are a few scattered blocks here and there.
The comparisons have always seemed a bit shallow to me. You can find similarities with any 2 cities, and I think they were much more similar 20-30 years ago.

It's also unfair to say Columbus has less "urban feel". Urban feel is largely related to population density, and Columbus has surprisingly high density to it.

Here are standardized densities at 50 square miles, which encompasses the urban cores of cities, for some traditional Rust Belt and nearby cities.

Milwaukee: 8,725.5
Pittsburgh: 7,602.6
Cincinnati: 6,279.4
Columbus: 6,257.4
St. Louis: 5,001.6
Indianapolis: 4,793.5
Akron: 4,532
Cleveland: 4,521.8
Kansas City: 4,306.4
Dayton: 4,269.2
Toledo: 4,247.6
Detroit: 3,945.5

Old 10-16-2014, 07:37 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,605,430 times
Quote:
I was talking basically about the city limits, as in core city of the metro, not the dead center of the city itself. Which is what makes those numbers so bad for Indy. Even including all of Marion County, which includes more than 200 more square miles than all of Columbus, Columbus still has 10x more. Most of that construction, however, is occurring within or just adjacent to the 1950 core city boundary.
Can you please provide a link showing a source for your numbers? I'm not refuting them, but would really love to see some evidence.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Can you please provide a link showing a source for your numbers? I'm not refuting them, but would really love to see some evidence.
Building Permits Survey

Here's a 1996-2014 graph for city boundaries. 2014 is through August.
Online Charting. Futures trading and various online stock trading.

And for metro in the same period.
Online Charting. Futures trading and various online stock trading.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 10-16-2014 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.