Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM

994 posts, read 1,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleBrat View Post
Why is it that some of you feel the need to question the reasoning for me putting up those links? GMAFB. No, it wasn't to try to flame and no, it wasn't to try to compare the east and west coast to the Great Lakes. I grew up minutes from some of those beaches and used to frequent them when I was younger. I thought the information was important because despite the fact that I am fond of some of those beaches, I feel it is important for people to be aware of what has happened to them as well.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal If you are going to put links up like that perhaps you should explain why you put them up after you post the links up.

It's like saying if I go put up links in a thread talking about how beautiful the desert is in Arizona, but my links are all about how unsustainable and polluting Arizona cities are. It has nothing to do with what is in question about the thread.

Last edited by Bo; 03-06-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
isn't saying the Great Lakes are underrated to the coasts comparing? I don't know what that says to you but it sounds like comparing to me.
No to me it's not. It just to show as a reference. Yes, their might be some comparison, but it is not the point of the thread. No one is asking whether you think the West Coast, East Coast, or Great Lakes is better. It is just saying that if there were some beautiful beaches shown to people of the Great Lakes but never told where it was they think it was the East Coast, people would never think they were Great Lakes. Just because you say a city like Minneapolis is underrated in the U.S. doesn not mean you are comparing it, it is just underrated.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:53 PM

171 posts, read 324,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
If you are going to put links up like that perhaps you should explain why you put them up after you post the links up.

It's like saying if I go put up links in a thread talking about how beautiful the desert is in Arizona, but my links are all about how unsustainable and polluting Arizona cities are. It has nothing to do with what is in question about the thread.
Moderator cut: off topic/personal

Incidentally, there are several posters who post how unsustainable they believe some Arizona cities to be, but they have also admired certain aspects of Arizona (and not necessarily in the same post). I then found this thread started from you which is similar to what you are accusing me of: //www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...l#post18136707

I won't comment on your first thought (above).

Last edited by Bo; 03-06-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 07:30 PM

161 posts, read 245,531 times
Michigan's west coast along Lake Michigan through the Sleeping Bears Dunes and Lake Superior along Pictured Rocks are two especially beautiful places. Frankly, so much of the Michigan coast - be it Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, or Lake Huron - is gorgeous.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:17 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,726 times
Quote:
No to me it's not. It just to show as a reference. Yes, their might be some comparison, but it is not the point of the thread. No one is asking whether you think the West Coast, East Coast, or Great Lakes is better. It is just saying that if there were some beautiful beaches shown to people of the Great Lakes but never told where it was they think it was the East Coast, people would never think they were Great Lakes. Just because you say a city like Minneapolis is underrated in the U.S. doesn not mean you are comparing it, it is just underrated.
your comparing again,

"It is just saying that if there were some beautiful beaches shown to people of the Great Lakes but never told where it was they think it was the East Coast"

who the heck cares if they would mistake it for an East Coast beach. It's nice on it's own as a Great Lakes beach.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
your comparing again,

"It is just saying that if there were some beautiful beaches shown to people of the Great Lakes but never told where it was they think it was the East Coast"

who the heck cares if they would mistake it for an East Coast beach. It's nice on it's own as a Great Lakes beach.
Okay whatever, yes there were some comparisons, but the point wasn't to compare and I along with others haven't made that the focus. The subject is if it's underrated or not and that they are comparable to some beaches on the East Coast, so yes there is some comparison stated, but I think you are missing the focus of what I am trying to say and many others.

Like I said it's as if someone said Minneapolis is underrated in the Midwest but has qualities that Chicago has. Yes there is a comparison there but it's not the focus of the arguement. That's what I am trying to get at.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,560,096 times
LI Native: Lake Ontario beaches are a lot less crowded than Long Island beaches :-) The New York shoreline of Lake Ontario just happens to be very rural in character. (Not so on the Canadian side where it is heavily urbanized...) The shoreline is flat and in fact, eons ago, Lake Ontario used to be much, much bigger across this flattened area.

Are the Rift Valley lakes of East Africa navigable between each other? If not, I don't really consider that an "inland sea." The Great Lakes are all part of the same river system, a genuine chain - you can sail from Africa to Minnesota on them. :-) (provided you use the Welland Canal of course since Niagara Falls is a wee bit hard to navigate)

Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,661,726 times
Quote:
Okay whatever, yes there were some comparisons, but the point wasn't to compare and I along with others haven't made that the focus. The subject is if it's underrated or not and that they are comparable to some beaches on the East Coast, so yes there is some comparison stated, but I think you are missing the focus of what I am trying to say and many others.

Like I said it's as if someone said Minneapolis is underrated in the Midwest but has qualities that Chicago has. Yes there is a comparison there but it's not the focus of the arguement. That's what I am trying to get at.
I think you should just let great lakes beaches be Great Lakes Beaches. It's neither overrated or underrated.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:58 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,940,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
Are the Rift Valley lakes of East Africa navigable between each other? If not, I don't really consider that an "inland sea." The Great Lakes are all part of the same river system, a genuine chain - you can sail from Africa to Minnesota on them. :-) (provided you use the Welland Canal of course since Niagara Falls is a wee bit hard to navigate)
Some of them are, some aren't. Africa's elevations are typically far greater than North America's, and some of the Rift Valley Lakes are well above 5,000' in elevation--this of course impedes the ability to navigate. Also, there's not exactly funding to build and maintain a system of locks to make the network navigable like there is in the US and Canada; the Great Lakes aren't naturally nagivable throughout, of course. But it would indeed be impossible to make the Rift Valley Lakes a contiguous navigable area like the Great Lakes.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:21 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
LI Native: Lake Ontario beaches are a lot less crowded than Long Island beaches :-) The New York shoreline of Lake Ontario just happens to be very rural in character. (Not so on the Canadian side where it is heavily urbanized...) The shoreline is flat and in fact, eons ago, Lake Ontario used to be much, much bigger across this flattened area.

The Long Island beaches are crowded mostly on the Ocean side. The bay beaches, which are usually calmer (and probably more similar to a lake) are usually less crowded. My town for instance, has 5 town parks that have beaches, three on the ocean and 2 on the bay. Most of these are limited to Town residents and guests, so it is a more local crowd.

Long Island also has the Sound beaches which are usually pretty calm (although not as much as a bay) but are more scenic with rocks and hills going down to the water. I have seen pictures of some parts of Lake Ontario where they have bluffs going to the Lake but I do not know where it is.

What about Lake Erie? On a map I see there are several state parks from New York to Ohio but are they parks for swimming or mostly scenic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.