Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 PM

20 posts, read 22,498 times

Advertisements

hi im 19, im in arizona and im thinking about moving to Austin TX to study music in college, because i want to make it big in music its my dream, im a singer and guitar player, my my dream its make a band and be successful and famous.

but im not sure if Austin its the best option or its better LA, or NY or Nashville or where?? please help me :S:S:S

MY GENRES ARE ROCK, POP, BLUES AND RELATIVES

Last edited by ROLOCASTER; 03-05-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM

30 posts, read 79,365 times
Why are you in such a hurry a decision of this magnitude needs time.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM

54 posts, read 152,136 times
The University of North Texas in Denton has an excellent jazz studies program, or so I hear.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,928,232 times
What genre of music? Country? Folk? Pop? Crap?

Old 03-05-2011, 08:33 PM

385 posts, read 718,524 times
austin is a music capital, nash is old time and doesnt hold much influence,la is hit and miss, either youre great and get noticed or ad erage and get drowned out by 100s of other ad erage bands, its not place to hone your skills.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 PM

30 posts, read 63,079 times
Austin... hands-down.

You'll get gigs (if you're good), and they'll actually pay decent money.

In L.A. you'll be scraping the bottom of the music barrel and even if you do happen to hook up with fantastic talent, you'll barely get enough bread on gigs to pay for gas.

There is no music business in this town anymore. Really. It's dead.

Try to think of three current big-name artists who got their break because they were discovered in L.A..

Now try to think of three current big-name artists who got their break on Youtube.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,928,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSteeleLA View Post
There is no music business in this town anymore. Really. It's dead.
Agreed. In fact the whole "music" industry is dead. It's all sales and marketing. Black Eyed Peas have become a fine example of that.

I ask you what genre music you make because certain cities may be better for it and some others not so much for example, if you're about Electronic music you'll be better in New York, San Francisco or Europe. Indie and grunge? then Seattle.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,563,556 times
Agree with the above advice about North Texas if you're interested in jazz. UT-Austin has a great school of Music, however the focus is more on classical music, not pop or rock. I would advise any prospective music major to really think about what they planned to do with that degree because it won't be cheap to get, especially with out of state tuition, nor is UT easy to get into. Truthfully, to be a rock musician, you don't need a degree. You've either got what it takes or you don't, and fans generally don't care about your credentials. If you did want to get a music degree, would it be to pursue some other career in music? I will speak candidly and share that most of my friends who graduated with a music degree either work in music education or ended up going back to school for a non-music masters degree because they couldn't find work. Before you enroll you really need to determine what you want to get out of it at the end.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,014,420 times
just sing and play guitar!

That's all you need. If any college degree would help you, business, accounting or marketing would be more useful than music. In today's music biz, you need to be able to market yourself and handle booking and accounting too.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,059,926 times
A the son of one of my friends is an extremely gifted musician (jazz, classical, rock), and is getting a degree from Texas State in San Marcos. He started out as straight music, but changed to music production, and has been studying all kinds of technical subjects as well as the music. He was motivated to do this by his desire to get a job when he was done while still being involved in music. I think he will always be a performer, though. Both his parents were music majors, and they ended up having to do other things to make a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.