Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:30 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
How the heck is natural scenery an utter failure for The Delaware Valley?
Especially the city of Philadelphia itself, having one of the largest park systems in the country.

Personally, I find living with a distinct 4 season climate in a lush green valley between two rivers, with the mountains and beach nearby quite beautiful in the natural scenery department.

I guess everyone has their preferences though.
Personally, I prefer a spectacularly hilly peninsula between an ocean and a bay, with a climate that almost never precludes outdoor activities. But to each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:37 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Personally, I prefer a spectacularly hilly peninsula between an ocean and a bay, with a climate that almost never precludes outdoor activities. But to each their own.
LOL, I'm not about to put Philly in a natural scenery competition with San Francisco but we do hold our own just fine. "Utter failure" is the furthest from the truth. SF is probably tops in the country though.

The weather on the other hand, ehh not the biggest fan. Maybe because I went during the early Summer and I am used to 80+ but it was just way too cold, especially at night. I like to be able to go in the ocean without a wetsuit in the Summer Months.
The only months in Philly where outdoor activities are somewhat precluded would be January and February, but even then The Poconos make do just fine for skiing and other snow activities, although not like what is available out West.

It's supposed to get above 60 degrees next week in Philly though. Not bad for the first week of December .

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 11-30-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
Quote:
The only months in Philly where outdoor activities are somewhat precluded would be January and February
Having grown up in Washington, DC, whose climate is not all that different from Philly's, I'd add July and August to that list. I don't miss that hot muggy weather one bit.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM

478 posts, read 809,565 times
Given the OP's criteria, 3 come immediately to mind: San Francisco, Boston, and Honolulu. You might also like San Diego.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Having grown up in Washington, DC, whose climate is not all that different from Philly's, I'd add July and August to that list. I don't miss that hot muggy weather one bit.
Depends on what you're into. July and August on the East Coast are exception months for beach/swimming, kayaking, fishing, hiking in the mountains (where it's cooler), etc. Plus, the evenings and mornings are pretty nice for walking, cycling, etc.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
"Safe" and "Friendly" are very subjective. If you have money and you like direct communication, Philly is a good choice. If you're poor and you prefer "southern charm", then I agree with you. Same goes for every city (SF, Boston, NYC, etc.).
Philly is not welcoming of newcomers and a difficult place to make new friends if one isn't from there. The city's status as "provincial" is legendary and it cracks me up to hear friendly used as a descriptive, particularly after living there for 8 years. Also, there are many variables between "direct communication" and "southern charm" so it's not a case of one or another. I (along with many others I'm sure) find the "direct communication" end of the spectrum not all that friendly.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:53 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
How the heck is natural scenery an utter failure for The Delaware Valley?
Especially the city of Philadelphia itself, having one of the largest park systems in the country.
The topic/thread refers to best city, not best region. I realize you're a Philly homer but face it, the city by and large is butt-ugly.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Why We Love Philly: Being a Philadelphian | Philadelphia magazine

Oddly Kyle not everyone had your experience

Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The topic/thread refers to best city, not best region. I realize you're a Philly homer but face it, the city by and large is butt-ugly.
I have enjoyed Philly when visiting. Not ugly at all.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Philly is not welcoming of newcomers and a difficult place to make new friends if one isn't from there. The city's status as "provincial" is legendary and it cracks me up to hear friendly used as a descriptive, particularly after living there for 8 years. Also, there are many variables between "direct communication" and "southern charm" so it's not a case of one or another. I (along with many others I'm sure) find the "direct communication" end of the spectrum not all that friendly.
I've heard the same about Richmond, but I've yet to experience it. I've also made some friends in Philly on some trips I've made there and they've even come down to visit me here. I always have a hard time believing that a city with millions of people is not welcoming of newcomers; more accurately, everyone has different communication styles and experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.