Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times

Advertisements

I lived all my life in south Florida and moved to middle TN nearly 5 years ago. We've been looking at moving to extreme northern Maine - and it's not out of the question - but we're now wondering if it's the best for us.

So, the things we're basing our move on:

First, we have ten dogs, two cats and two land tortoises moving with us. They're non-negotiable, so we won't consider a state that bans the torties or an area with BSL as two of our dogs are bully breeds.

I'd love to be on the water again. I miss the island I grew up on and the one in Maine we're looking at reminds me a lot of it. Not too many people, still very much that fishing village feel to it. However, chances of us getting what we want on the water for what we're willing to spend are pretty much slim to none, and I"m pretty sure I just saw Slim hop on the last train out of town. So the other option is having a minimum of 10 acres of land with a small home in a mountainous area.

No kids, they've all moved out.

While crime stats aren't a huge deal - both retired law enforcement - but I don't want to live in the middle of a gang neighborhood either. Also, don't want any place that makes it difficult to own and carry our weapons.

Prefer the east side of the US but the west isn't out of the question.

Don't need to be next door to a hospital, but do need to be close by air or ambulance.

Want to pay cash for whatever we buy - $65,000 tops.

So, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Wow, that's some tough criteria!

You might check out NW Michigan. The areas southwest and southeast of Traverse City offer quite a bit in your price range with 5+ acres. It's not mountainous, but a beautiful area with nice people and quite safe.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM

93,433 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Maybe the 1000 Islands region of Upstate NY. Perhaps the Plattsburgh and Grand Island areas too. You might like the coastal area of New Hampshire too.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,436,144 times
Thanks! I'll peek around in both places!

I had a school friend from many moons ago suggest mid SC. Found one home that's a possibility. I also found a house in very north central Florida that meets the criteria, except for the state, LOL. Just not sure I want to go back to the heat and humidity and bugs. Yuck. The torties would love it though. *sigh*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.