Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times

Advertisements

I've done the trip many times. Words of wisdom: to really enjoy the trip do not set firm deadlines and spend no more than 8 hours on the road per day.

Stay away from franchise eateries, if possible get off the interstates whenever you can.

Hotels with pools are a great way to decompress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I've done the trip many times. Words of wisdom: to really enjoy the trip do not set firm deadlines and spend no more than 8 hours on the road per day.

Stay away from franchise eateries, if possible get off the interstates whenever you can.

Hotels with pools are a great way to decompress.
^^^ See this post^^^

Read it, memorize it, post it on your dashboard if you have to. Very wise words.

From someone who has also made the trip Cross-country many times. My goal on a vacation/pleasure trip was to find a nice looking town with something I might want to see. Then get a room by 4:30 PM... 5 PM at the latest, drop your stuff in the room, grab a shower and then go out for a bite to eat. No rushing through supper because you still have to find a place to spend the night, and it gives you the freedom to relax so you get a good nights sleep. Take a walk after supper and just enjoy wherever the heck it is you landed for that night. I have found some truly great places, people, and sights doing this (found a couple ****holes as well, but those were few and far between really ).

Old 03-07-2011, 09:38 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
If you're open to any starting point and any ending point then decide based on which attractions you want to see or cities you want to visit. I've driven many times on many routes and a few places that I found more interesting than others were:

Grand Canyon
Yellowstone
Blue Ridge Pkwy
New Orleans
Minneapolis
Denver
Salt Lake City/Park City
Aspen

Not interesting were:
Painted Desert
Meteor Crater
Memphis
OKC
Albuquerque

Old 03-08-2011, 11:10 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I know you had asked about grand Rapids, MI over in the Michigan forum, so you might consider going to Northern route, taking a swing up through Grand Rapids. You can then continue on up to Ludington and take the USS Badger across to Wisconsin to continue across the states. It would be a unique experience and a good way to really see a portion of the Great Lakes. Plus it puts you close to a good route across the rest of the Northern tier states and some awesome scenery.

No matter what route you choose, there will something to see and do.

Yeah im all for the northern route. Might have to stop off in Grand Rapids on the way!

Last edited by LondonUSA; 03-08-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-08-2011, 11:24 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I'd go for I-90; much of that part of the country I've never seen. From Chicago west through Minnesota, South Dakota, etc. would be fascinating.
I-40 would be kind of fun, too: Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona into California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
From Pittsburgh south Rt 70 will take you from Cinncinatti, Louisville
It will not.

I-70 goes through Wheeling, Columbus, and Indianapolis on its way to St. Louis. Cincinnati and Louisville are a few hours south.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:17 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
As a veteran of many trips. Saint Louis has always been the deciding point of which way to go next
In the northeast i have always found route 80 in PA to be incredible boring. Maybe because I have done it so many times.

and as I have said the most memorable ones are the ones where you get of the interstates.

88/86 in New York State to 90 in PA/Ohio is a nice ride. Side track to Niagara Falls if you can.
Rock and Roll hall of Fame in Cleveland is a worthwhile stop

76 or 70 are good options. Pittsburgh is definitely worth a stop for a day or two. Great Museums, Andy Warhol Museum. Make sure you get a sandwich at Primanti Brothers of the Strip (it has to be the one on the strip!). Grand Concourse for a nice Meal (sunday bruch is awesome)

In Dayton, Ohio the Airforce Museum at Wright Patterson Air force Base is a very enjoyable stop.

From There to Saint Louis. The arch, zoo and museums in Forrest Park are worth spending a day or two. Take the Budweiser or Schlafly Brewery Tour. Excellent pub grub at the Schlafly tap room.
Caveat: avoid St. Louis Style Pizza at all costs unless you have a taste for Cheeze-whiz on a ragu coated matzoh.

Now you have to decide if you want to take 70 or 40 or eventually the 10.

The Caveat being that driving 70 through Kansas is like watching paint dry. The Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, KS is a very worthy detour. The Route 70 route is rewarded with Denver and the Rockies then some very spectacular scenery in Utah. Onto I15 through the Virgin River Canyon and then a day ot two in Vegas before the last leg to Southern California.

Route 40/44 will take you to OK city. Stop at the Memorial and the Museum. Next stop will be Amarillo. Diner at the Big Texan. Yeah its a tourist trap but what the hell. Leave your mark at Cadillac Ranch just outside of town on the South side of Route 40. Now decide if you want to take ROUTE 70 (not interstate) to Roswell and Alamogordo. One of the nice drives in the Southwest. But you have to get through Clovis NM which smells like Cow crap, and whose residents seem to be an unholy breeding experiment between wiggers, cowboys and hillbillies. Scariest place I have ever been.

Roswell is a worth stop. Must see the UFO museum. Its good cheesy tourist fun. Especially on the July 4th weekend. I love watching conspricay/UFO geeks hashing out theories. Best New Mexican style cuisine to be found on a side street near the city hall. Alamogordo has the Astronaut hall of fame and many of the docents worked on "black" cold war projects. interesting history.

Then drive and stop at White Sands before getting on to Interstate 10 to California

if you stay on 40, you will Nice scenery through Albequerque. Arizona is a beautiful state. But Don't waste your time of the Meteor Crater or the petrified forest. Spend more than a day or two Grand Canyon.

if you you can block in two weeks to do the trip one way you will have a very enjoyable adventure.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Also, does anyone know the address/specific location of the plane yard in Arizona where all the old planes go?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Also, does anyone know the address/specific location of the plane yard in Arizona where all the old planes go?
To go on one of the tours you have to go through this place.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
To go on one of the tours you have to go through this place.

That's the one, cheers!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:11 PM
MPC

703 posts, read 1,266,402 times
Take I10, goes from Los Angeles, CA to Jacksonville,FL.
Connecting Cities are Houston TX, San Antonio TX, Phoenix AZ, New Orleans LA, Biloxi MS, Mobile AL, Panama City FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.