Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
wow really? does anyone else agree with that? so which area got a lot of tornadoes and which areas got less in TX?

I was thinking about not going to FL because of the hurricanes there, every summer you need to watch the tv, and get ready for hurricanes etc. seem like a hassle to me, but usually you don't get any damages from it do you? it will miss you or just little damages? or what. Also insurance for hurricane is it very expensive? how do you guys deal with hurricanes there? thanks
I understand the point actually. Tornados are quick events that have little or no time to seek cover.

while a Tropical storm of a Hurricane is well plotted in advance. Not to say the best modern tracking has been off, but its close enough. Most Floridians have their Hurricane kits and most homes are prepared for the worst. IE Boards, up graded windows and roofs. I know I have rebuilt twice already.

Now I will tell you a tired home will be compromised no matter what!

The other point is unless we have a unusual season like 04season with Hurricane Charlie and Jaine. Most storms just skirt Florida and I have chases a few.

Florida is connected side wide. All citys and towns seem to be within a short drive. Texas once you leave anymajor city is wide open. I guess its your personal choice in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
I love Florida, but which place is better depends entirely on the individual. I will say that Florida has no state income tax, so that is an impressive trait. In terms of weather, Florida is more tropical and humid, but you get used to it. It's not really that bad, especially if you live in a sea side town or city because the ocean breeze keeps you cool.

Florida does have its problems like every other state. Much of our economy is based heavily on tourism, so while there are jobs most of them don't pay too well. The housing market is also not too impressive, for the seller anyway. If you're a buyer then it's all good! There is more crime here than Texas, but the majority of the crime is confined to certain areas in certain neighborhoods.

As for what part to move to, again it depends entirely on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a laid back and easy going atmosphere then, recommend St. Augustine, Fernandina (in particular Amelia Island), the Florida Keys, St Petersburg, Sarasota etc... If you are looking for a big city type life then I would recommend Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa....

Florida is my favorite state, it's my home and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But the problem with asking what place is better is that it's entirely subjective. For example I have a family member who lives in Hawaii and I have had several opportunities to move there last, however I have been to Hawaii once and while I enjoyed my time there, it's not a place I would ever want to live. To me living in such a small and isolated place would really suck, I would get lonely. Not to mention the insanely high COL isn't something I would want to live with.

So as you can see, "paradise " is entirely different from person to person. I hope you you are happy regardless of where you choose to live. Maybe visit Florida first before you make the move just to get an idea of its like to live here.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:04 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I love Florida, but which place is better depends entirely on the individual. I will say that Florida has no state income tax, so that is an impressive trait. In terms of weather, Florida is more tropical and humid, but you get used to it. It's not really that bad, especially if you live in a sea side town or city because the ocean breeze keeps you cool.

Florida does have its problems like every other state. Much of our economy is based heavily on tourism, so while there are jobs most of them don't pay too well. The housing market is also not too impressive, for the seller anyway. If you're a buyer then it's all good! There is more crime here than Texas, but the majority of the crime is confined to certain areas in certain neighborhoods.

As for what part to move to, again it depends entirely on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a laid back and easy going atmosphere then, recommend St. Augustine, Fernandina (in particular Amelia Island), the Florida Keys, St Petersburg, Sarasota etc... If you are looking for a big city type life then I would recommend Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa....

Florida is my favorite state, it's my home and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But the problem with asking what place is better is that it's entirely subjective. For example I have a family member who lives in Hawaii and I have had several opportunities to move there last, however I have been to Hawaii once and while I enjoyed my time there, it's not a place I would ever want to live. To me living in such a small and isolated place would really suck, I would get lonely. Not to mention the insanely high COL isn't something I would want to live with.

So as you can see, "paradise " is entirely different from person to person. I hope you you are happy regardless of where you choose to live. Maybe visit Florida first before you make the move just to get an idea of its like to live here.
Dito!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I understand the point actually. Tornados are quick events that have little or no time to seek cover.

while a Tropical storm of a Hurricane is well plotted in advance. Not to say the best modern tracking has been off, but its close enough. Most Floridians have their Hurricane kits and most homes are prepared for the worst. IE Boards, up graded windows and roofs. I know I have rebuilt twice already.

Now I will tell you a tired home will be compromised no matter what!

The other point is unless we have a unusual season like 04season with Hurricane Charlie and Jaine. Most storms just skirt Florida and I have chases a few.

Florida is connected side wide. All citys and towns seem to be within a short drive. Texas once you leave anymajor city is wide open. I guess its your personal choice in the end.
One more thing to add: if you like the outdoors, Texas is NOT your state unless a) you have money to buy acreage or b) you live next to Big Bend (only a few thousand people do). Only 4% of Texas is public lands compared to 30+% in Florida.

Texas may seem wide open but 96% of it is actually fenced up.

We found Texas to also be very "regimented" and really a police state.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:53 PM

51 posts, read 109,138 times
The major cities in Florida are so much less congested and less polluted than the major cities in Texas to the point where they are ultimately more liveable.

Except for Miami, Florida's major cities are by no means afflicted by the same traffic and pollution issues as the major cities in Texas. If you're used to the smooth, wide, modern, clean roadways in Florida and you're expecting the same in Texas, then you'll be in for a big shock. The roads in Texas, especially the surface streets, are covered with potholes and cracks due to the general lack of maintenance (less funding) and the poor clay soil found throughout the region that frequently expands and contracts under the extreme summertime temperatures and the frequent hard winter freezes. The roads and freeways in Texas are also dirty (tons of litter and graffiti) and bumpy/noisy (mostly paved with concrete instead of asphalt, at least in Dallas and Houston). Overall, surface streets in Texas tend to be far less landscaped and manicured than those in Florida, and this makes cities and suburbs in Texas seem less new and polished than cities and suburbs in Florida.

Now, let's talk about weather. Most of Texas is much hotter in the summertime than Florida, and there are no daily afternoon thunderstorms, sea-breezes, and partly cloudy skies in most of Texas to alleviate the intense summertime heat. Also, most of Texas is much colder than Florida from mid-fall to mid-spring--another big no-no in my book. While Texas (minus the Gulf Coast) is generally drier and less humid than Florida, it is also much browner overall, especially from late fall to early spring. Florida is definitely much greener and, in turn, much prettier overall. The northern suburbs of Orlando have, IMO, some of the most beautiful foliage in the entire country: temperate meets subtropical--absolutely gorgeous.

With regard to beaches, recreational opportunities, and leading a healthy, active lifestyle, the nod obviously goes to Florida--that goes without saying.

Another topic that was touched upon in this thread--Florida is much less of a police state than Texas, which is the epitome of a police state due to the fact that Southern undertones are much more distinct in the culture Texas vs. the culture of Florida. Florida's culture may be a little whacky, but at least it's not really Southern in the traditional sense. On the same note, the general populace of Florida is much more open-minded, tolerant, and live-and-let-live than that of Texas. That really is the icing on the cake for me.

Oh, yeah, and Florida has much lower property and sales tax rates than Texas!

At the end of the day, Florida is the hands-down winner if you have the luxury of being able to live anywhere. Remember that people move to Texas because they have to (mostly for career-related reasons) whereas people move to Florida because they want to. I mean, there's a reason why homes are generally more expensive in Florida than in Texas--higher demand.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhodyInTheDesert View Post
The major cities in Florida are so much less congested and less polluted than the major cities in Texas to the point where they are ultimately more liveable.

Except for Miami, Florida's major cities are by no means afflicted by the same traffic and pollution issues as the major cities in Texas. If you're used to the smooth, wide, modern, clean roadways in Florida and you're expecting the same in Texas, then you'll be in for a big shock. The roads in Texas, especially the surface streets, are covered with potholes and cracks due to the general lack of maintenance (less funding) and the poor clay soil found throughout the region that frequently expands and contracts under the extreme summertime temperatures and the frequent hard winter freezes. The roads and freeways in Texas are also dirty (tons of litter and graffiti) and bumpy/noisy (mostly paved with concrete instead of asphalt, at least in Dallas and Houston). Overall, surface streets in Texas tend to be far less landscaped and manicured than those in Florida, and this makes cities and suburbs in Texas seem less new and polished than cities and suburbs in Florida.

Now, let's talk about weather. Most of Texas is much hotter in the summertime than Florida, and there are no daily afternoon thunderstorms, sea-breezes, and partly cloudy skies in most of Texas to alleviate the intense summertime heat. Also, most of Texas is much colder than Florida from mid-fall to mid-spring--another big no-no in my book. While Texas (minus the Gulf Coast) is generally drier and less humid than Florida, it is also much browner overall, especially from late fall to early spring. Florida is definitely much greener and, in turn, much prettier overall. The northern suburbs of Orlando have, IMO, some of the most beautiful foliage in the entire country: temperate meets subtropical--absolutely gorgeous.

With regard to beaches, recreational opportunities, and leading a healthy, active lifestyle, the nod obviously goes to Florida--that goes without saying.

Another topic that was touched upon in this thread--Florida is much less of a police state than Texas, which is the epitome of a police state due to the fact that Southern undertones are much more distinct in the culture Texas vs. the culture of Florida. Florida's culture may be a little whacky, but at least it's not really Southern in the traditional sense. On the same note, the general populace of Florida is much more open-minded, tolerant, and live-and-let-live than that of Texas. That really is the icing on the cake for me.

Oh, yeah, and Florida has much lower property and sales tax rates than Texas!

At the end of the day, Florida is the hands-down winner if you have the luxury of being able to live anywhere. Remember that people move to Texas because they have to (mostly for career-related reasons) whereas people move to Florida because they want to. I mean, there's a reason why homes are generally more expensive in Florida than in Texas--higher demand.
I will agree with everything you said except for one thing: having lived in South Florida for years and then having lived in Texas for years I can tell you that a large portion of Texas, west of I-35 gets hot in the summer but it is also very dry. It is not uncommon to have humidity in the teens and 20-30% in the summer - this makes the high heat MUCH more bearable. One thing I swore I will have with my house when I move back to FL is a pool to cool off in any time I want

Old 09-29-2013, 07:07 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Texas cities are boom towns and are much cleaner in general.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:50 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,486 times
I think the OP should strongly consider the Westchase area of Tampa Bay.

Good access to all sorts of water, traffic isn't as bad as living outside of Houston or Austin. Florida has lower property taxes, but flood/hazard insurance may be an issue unless you pick an area that is high and dry.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:19 AM

43 posts, read 89,085 times
Fl may be pretty with glitz and glamour and nice beaches, I've lived there for 30 years. Been in texas for 6. I can tell you, unequivocally without a doubt fl can never compete with texas on a economic level. Employment sector is much stronger in tx and companies continue to flock to texas because it is simply an economic powerhouse. Only thing fl gets is retirees, and angry physcho people who want to shoot up everyone, also a lot of fl is very racist against ethnic minorities esp north central fl. Roads are much more wide open in texas, and you feel free. And texas has a sense of community in the cities. Fl has no sense of community, it's all about unpleasant attitudes, dog eat dog world, I don't give a $&@$& about you. And fl cops are just as much azz holes as tx cops can be...heck minneapolis, mn beats any city in fl, I would move there before ever moving back to fl. Once you get out of fl and see other parts of the country, you will realize fl is not all that.

Texas any day

Old 01-27-2014, 10:11 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTDatx View Post
Fl may be pretty with glitz and glamour and nice beaches, I've lived there for 30 years. Been in texas for 6. I can tell you, unequivocally without a doubt fl can never compete with texas on a economic level. Employment sector is much stronger in tx and companies continue to flock to texas because it is simply an economic powerhouse. Only thing fl gets is retirees, and angry physcho people who want to shoot up everyone, also a lot of fl is very racist against ethnic minorities esp north central fl. Roads are much more wide open in texas, and you feel free. And texas has a sense of community in the cities. Fl has no sense of community, it's all about unpleasant attitudes, dog eat dog world, I don't give a $&@$& about you. And fl cops are just as much azz holes as tx cops can be...heck minneapolis, mn beats any city in fl, I would move there before ever moving back to fl. Once you get out of fl and see other parts of the country, you will realize fl is not all that.

Texas any day
Agree, Texas blows Florida out of the water in almost every category except maybe beaches, but even in peak season all the riff raff just end up mucking the beaches up anyway. Fl is that "getaway" place when you basically just gave up on life or want to retire (hence all the bums).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.