Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 02:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What? What about Mt. Airy and some of the adjacent neighborhoods in Philadelphia? I believe some suburbs might fit too.
Nah. There are no truly majority black wealthy areas in the Phila. area. There are some middle- to near-upper-middle class areas such as Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill that have lots of black residents, but they are not mostly black and they are not truly affluent areas. The same thing in Montgomery and Chester Counties - no truly wealthy areas where blacks live in abundance. The closest thing to this in the Phila. area was Willingboro, but that has declined seriously in the past two decades.

Quote:
In the Pittsburgh area, some neighborhoods in the Eastern suburbs seem to be solidly middle class.
Though Wilkinsburg and some of the Woodland Hills suburbs have some nice middle class enclaves, there are also too many dangerous, bad neighborhoods in these areas. Monroeville and Penn Hills have solid middle-class areas with nice homes, but again, are not predominantly black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Nah. There are no truly majority black wealthy areas in the Phila. area. There are some middle- to near-upper-middle class areas such as Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill that have lots of black residents, but they are not mostly black and they are not truly affluent areas. The same thing in Montgomery and Chester Counties - no truly wealthy areas where blacks live in abundance. The closest thing to this in the Phila. area was Willingboro, but that has declined seriously in the past two decades.

Though Wilkinsburg and some of the Woodland Hills suburbs have some nice middle class enclaves, there are also too many dangerous, bad neighborhoods in these areas. Monroeville and Penn Hills have solid middle-class areas with nice homes, but again, are not predominantly black.
Actually, Mt. Airy was just under 68% Black in 2000. So, I would say it still is predominately Black now.

I know that there are some neighborhoods some of those eastern Pittsburgh suburbs, but some of the same communities have stable, mostly Black neighborhoods, even if the general community isn't mostly Black.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Actually, Mt. Airy was just under 68% Black in 2000. So, I would say it still is predominately Black now.

I know that there are some neighborhoods some of those eastern Pittsburgh suburbs, but some of the same communities have stable, mostly Black neighborhoods, even if the general community isn't mostly Black.
But would you consider Mt. Airy affluent?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
But would you consider Mt. Airy affluent?
I don't know about "affluent", but I'd say at least solidly middle class to upper middle class.

Home

Our Mount Airy Pennsylvania : Philadelphia Pennsylvania Neighborhood Information & Events

Mt. Airy Business Association

http://www.huduser.org/Periodicals/C...L4NUM2/ch3.pdf

Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Right, but that doesn't compare to the affluent black areas, such as in LA, Atlanta and the DC burbs........

Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Right, but that doesn't compare to the affluent black areas, such as in LA, Atlanta and the DC burbs........
Who said it did? I think many would take it though and people underestimate some areas in that regard.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Who said it did? I think many would take it though and people underestimate some areas in that regard.

That is my point.............I said there were no similar areas in Pgh or Phila........That was the point of the whole discussion.

I live where I live (central NJ) chiefly because I couldn't find the type of community I wanted in the Phila. area.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
That is my point.............I said there were no similar areas in Pgh or Phila........That was the point of the whole discussion.

I live where I live (central NJ) chiefly because I couldn't find the type of community I wanted in the Phila. area.
Actually, the point is about affluent mostly Black communities. Mt. Airy might not be viewed that way to many, but said people are there. West Mt. Airy is viewed as being more affluent, whereas East Mt. Airy can range from some lower to upper middle class. It's also known for not getting caught up in the real estate aspects that tried to restrict Black homebuyers.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, the point is about affluent mostly Black communities. Mt. Airy might not be viewed that way to many, but said people are there. West Mt. Airy is viewed as being more affluent, whereas East Mt. Airy can range from some lower to upper middle class. It's also known for not getting caught up in the real estate aspects that tried to restrict Black homebuyers.
OK, whatever. But I know that these communities do not fit the same criteria as the ones we discussed. Just because there are a few black people with a little money does not mean that these communities in Philly, such as Mt. Airy, are affluent mostly black communities. Split hairs all you want. I'm done.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:23 PM

We have to keep in mind that any affluence/wealth, etc. is going to be pretty recent anyway for Black folks and even much of that is relative. So, I don't know why it can't be possible in the Philadelphia area considering the long history of Black folks in the area and even the presence of 2 HBCU's in the metro, along with the many other colleges in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.