Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times

Advertisements

I think most people don't really have much ill will towards Russians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
I have always felt sad and sorry for the Russians and I wish them well. I hope life has gotten better for them since the end of the USSR.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:29 AM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I agree. The Soviet Union was pretty bad, but its deeds didn't hold a candle to the evils of Nazi Germany.

Look over some history and it will change your mind. The gulags in Siberia were as bad as the Concentration Camps and Stalin alone killed something like 50m people. He even considered POW in WW2 to be on the other side and did not trust them.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:36 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Look over some history and it will change your mind. The gulags in Siberia were as bad as the Concentration Camps and Stalin alone killed something like 50m people. He even considered POW in WW2 to be on the other side and did not trust them.
I know my history very well. My best subject is school. The Nazis were way more evil than the Soviets. If the Nazis were given as much time and influence over the world as the USSR had, they would have killed just as many if not way more people. And their reasons for the killings were more sinister than the Soviets aswell.

Last edited by TB Fla; 03-20-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I know my history very well. My best subject is school. The Nazis were way more evil than the Soviets. If the Nazis were given as much time and influence over the world as the USSR had, they would have killed just as many if not way more people. And their reasons for the killings were more sinister than the Soviets aswell.
Those people are all long dead so what does it matter for the Russians of today? Do you feel responsible for slavery in the US 150 years ago?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
The Nazis were more psycho from what I recall. They were more willing to invent crazy and creepy ways to torturously kill people or kill those who couldn't possibly be a threat to them. (Like disabled children and Jehovah's Witnesses, at least Jews could theoretically join an enemy army) The Communists were pretty brutally efficient. In the period Hitler ruled Germany the Stalinists killed maybe as many as the Nazis, but although they did torture I don't recall them as being as obsessive on freaky new ways to torture people who have no information. They were more brutally efficient and paranoid about real or imaginary enemies. I think that's back to an area of difference. The Nazis killed people that were not a threat to their regime, not even on their own twisted terms of who could threaten them, but were instead seen as insufficiently supportive or parasitic.

I don't know kind of six of one, half-dozen of the other. Is it better to get shot to death because the leader thinks your third cousin might possibly be a dissident (Stalin) or to be tortured to death because you look funny (Hitler)? I guess I'd lean to the Nazi way as worse myself, but I could see the position that getting killed for no good reason is still getting killed.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Yeah, I've seen very angry people like in my family say they wish the Nazis won but that's all it is, anger. There really can't be any doubt that the "right" people won the war, the world would've been far worse off if Hitler actually won in Russia. If there was ever a case of "the lesser of two evils", this was it. And the blame for what happened after the war isn't all in the Soviet's hands either, not to excuse anything they did at all but are we gonna talk about this and just ignore the Western betrayal at Yalta where the US and the UK single-handedly decided the fate of millions in Poland, Germany and others across Central and Eastern Europe and sold them all off to the Soviets? Honestly, it had to be done to keep the Allies together and to avoid a new real "hot" conflict between the powers, but the fact is there's plenty of blame to go around.

(Speaking from experience) Many Poles and others haven't forgotten what happened under the Soviets, but they also haven't forgotten Yalta, the Western inaction at the start of the War, and other things. I think it's ridiculous to blame people now for past actions they had nothing to do with anyway, but as long as we're here, it's really insane to think we'd all be better off if the Nazis won anything.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:29 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
(Speaking from experience) Many Poles and others haven't forgotten what happened under the Soviets, but they also haven't forgotten Yalta, the Western inaction at the start of the War, and other things. I think it's ridiculous to blame people now for past actions they had nothing to do with anyway, but as long as we're here, it's really insane to think we'd all be better off if the Nazis won anything.
Well the Soviets said they would help in the Warsaw uprising but instead they let the Poles and Nazis slug it out, then just plowed in and annihilated the rest of them.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Well the Soviets said they would help in the Warsaw uprising but instead they let the Poles and Nazis slug it out, then just plowed in and annihilated the rest of them.
Yeah, and they also broke a peace pact and invaded after the Nazis, we all know what happened. And as the Nazis committed 90% of their forces to the invasion of Poland at the start of the war leaving the "backside" of the country completely exposed the French and the British declared war and then proceeded to drop paper on German cities asking them to rise up against Hitler. And even the French at least moved into Germany (barely) to occupy some ground in the Rhineland (more for their interest than any of their "allies"). You can't spin this against only the Russians, like I said, everyone screwed things up, bad. The Western "allies" were no more (or less) helpful to the Poles than our Russian "friends".

Old 03-20-2011, 01:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
I actually am kind of facinated with Russia. Not overly, but nonetheless I think it has character and is unigue. I think Russian/Ukraine girls are beautiful. I respect their culture. It's funny because a friend asked me about a week ago if I could go anywhere right now for vacation where would it be. While he mentioned Amsterdam, I actually went with Moscow. I would like to know more about Russian culture. I think there is too much misinformation (or better yet propaganda) between the U.S. and Russia and I take very little stock into what b.s. the U.S. likes to tell us. I would like to see for myself. I think besides the weather, we are more alike than not. We are both superpowers and I have a respect for Russian culture. I am not Russian by the way. I am half Italian and half french. But for some reason their culture intrigues me. Maybe it is the fact that we or I should say most Americans know very little about Russia. But if we think for ourselves and can realize that most of what we were taught was mostly propaganda,-just as I suppose that is what they were taught regarding us. I believe there are so many myths to dispell. Plus believe it or not, Russian food is pretty good. The weather is the only thing about Russia that I am not crazy about. I would rather visit in the summer.

And for what it's worth, I do not see them as the enemy. I don't hate any citizens of any country,-just because my country might dictate that I ought too. If it wasn't for their help, we might all be German run today....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.