Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,058 times

Advertisements

So, do you think the term refers more to the houses built since the 1980s with the regulations and the uniform colors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 08:14 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
So, do you think the term refers more to the houses built since the 1980s with the regulations and the uniform colors?
Cookie Cutter is a subjective word, so I really can't elaborate on the be all end all definition of the term. Some might think a row of modern colonial revivals on the outskirts of Washington DC could be cookie cutter while somebody from out west might marvel at the architecture because its different from what they are use to seeing. I like some of the new neighborhoods in the Desert Southwest as many of them blend well with the environment as opposed to a place where they have clear cutted a whole forest, threw in a bunch of beige homes with the garages dominating the front exterior and an HOA's saying you can't do this, you can't so that, those neighborhoods suck and will take a long time to mature.

My hang ups with modern development are as previsously stated, lack of selective tree cutting, HOA regulations that are too restricting to individual character, yes with say uniform beige colors as an example, and a crowded clustered neighborhood surrounded by acres of open farmland. I understand reasonable rules like not having a bunch of junkyard cars on the lawn or grass that hasn't been cut in ages, but many go too far. Otherwise I would prefer a modern home, especially interior with granite counter tops and such and less maintainence. I'm not a whistle blower on "cookie cutter" but whether new development is cheap and shotty or done right.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-23-2011 at 08:30 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
When i think cookie cutter, i think nearly the same pattern repeated over and over. Meaning, that including old urban housing such as rowhouses, cookie cutter can be applied not only to suburban tract housing, but urban housing too.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
A lot of it started with these two; where I learned what a car port is

Levittown, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Levittown, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yahoo! Image Search Results for levittown

http://lh5.ggpht.com/tessellar/R1_2M...s800/Plans.jpg

Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
I knew a guy who went to a party at a neighbors house, a couple blocks away. At the party, he had a few too many beers. He had trouble finding his house, because they all looked alike--especially in the dark. This was in a neighborhood built in the late 40's or early 50's, but I would still consider it "cookie-cutter."

Old 03-24-2011, 09:56 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
Cookie cutter to me is more like a neighborhood that feels generic and bland. Typically newer. It takes time for a neighborhood to mature. To me one of the least attractive aspects of newer subdivisions is that when the developers come in they mow down all the trees and then throw up the houses. It gives the whole neighborhood a sort of bleak appearance. Some of the older subdivisions from the 50's and 60's are only now starting to look better because trees have had a chance to grow. That and enough people have lived in the area to give the houses more character via ad-ons and paint colors.

I myself like older houses with more character but unfortunately so do most wealthy people and hipsters. Thus a lot of those neighborhoods are getting to be unaffordable. I've even seen a lot of people now demanding houses like 1970's ranchers. Sigh... Guess we'll probably have to buy one of those Vanilla cookie cutter houses afterall...

Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,325,322 times
If I ever build my own home, I hope to make a dome house. Always wanted one. Id live in a cookie cutter neighborhood if it was all dome houses but I dont think such a place exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.