Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:07 AM

72 posts, read 113,767 times

Advertisements

Oh, and flying home is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 10:14 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great responses so far. I've been to SF and loved it, and although it's cheaper than NYC, it isn't by much. Portland and Seattle seem like great cities as well, but I'm a big fan of sunshine, so that might be a problem. I'm actually heading down to Austin in May, and am very excited to see the city. I really like college towns, so the fact that you have such a big University in the city is a plus.

I've heard Nashville mentioned before, how is downtown? At my age now I'd like to be in a downtown area where I can still have a car, but can walk to shops, restaurants, etc.
I was surprised people suggested San Francisco, as it's almost as expensive as NYC, but I'm glad you already realized that.

I would suggest Dallas to you. It's a large city of 1M+, has many sunny days (135 on average), along with an additional 100 partly sunny days (approximately). The Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex is the fastest growing metropolitan area in the nation, and for numerous great reasons too.

The people in Dallas are very friendly.

It is very cheap to live in Dallas compared to most other major urban cities (I'm a native Dallasite currently living in NYC, so believe me when I say this). There is no state income tax, compared to NYC's extremely high taxes. Dallas's economy is very strong.

Uptown Dallas is a very walkable, urban environment. Check out D Magazine's Best of Dallas to see the very best in world-class restaurants (Dallas has the most restaurants per capita of any city in the nation, even more than NYC), shopping, and other experiences.

Also, Dallas is located in the center of the country geographically speaking, so you can get to any major city in the continental US in under four hours from Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW). It's a three hour nonstop flight from DFW Airport to NY's LaGuardia Airport.

Take a look at this informative and excellent video to learn more about Dallas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhJsJPfOLg

Last edited by Photography; 03-24-2011 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,746 times
It sounds to me like three cities would fit you nicely,

1. Miami
2. Denver
3. D.C.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great responses so far. I've been to SF and loved it, and although it's cheaper than NYC, it isn't by much. Portland and Seattle seem like great cities as well, but I'm a big fan of sunshine, so that might be a problem. I'm actually heading down to Austin in May, and am very excited to see the city. I really like college towns, so the fact that you have such a big University in the city is a plus.

I've heard Nashville mentioned before, how is downtown? At my age now I'd like to be in a downtown area where I can still have a car, but can walk to shops, restaurants, etc.

Yeah of course Austin is no NYC our metro is about 1.7 million I would suggest bringing a car if you move down here to get around the rest of the city and plus you can go to places like San Antonio which is only an hour from here and has alot of cool attractions Corpus Christi is about 3 hours if you wanna go to the beach. Here's a few more links in September we have the Austin City Limits Music Festival and last week was South By Southwest Jet Blue has direct flights from Austin to NYC for trips home.

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Celebrate Our Seasons | CVB - San Marcos, Texas

Guadalupe River Official Website | Tubing, Camping, & Activities

ACL Music Festival ~ Sep. 16-18, 2011 ~ Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

SXSW.com

Old 03-25-2011, 06:47 AM

That video on Dallas is great! I checked out the Texaplex website, some great info on there. I was going to ask about Houston as well, but don't want this to turn into a Houston vs. Dallas thing. I know those can get intense.

I've thought about Denver as well. I was in Boulder for a short period years ago and loved it, and I really want to check it out again soon.

I'll be bringing a car wherever I end up, but I just don't want to have to rely on it for EVERYTHING. I have no problem needing it to and from work, I just prefer to find a walkable spot where I can get groceries or grab a beer without needing my car. I've heard Dallas, Houston and Denver have "sprawl" which I understand. But there are at least some blocks that have apartments and are walkable right?

Old 03-25-2011, 07:29 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times
Quote:
That video on Dallas is great! I checked out the Texaplex website, some great info on there. I was going to ask about Houston as well, but don't want this to turn into a Houston vs. Dallas thing. I know those can get intense.

I'll be bringing a car wherever I end up, but I just don't want to have to rely on it for EVERYTHING. I have no problem needing it to and from work, I just prefer to find a walkable spot where I can get groceries or grab a beer without needing my car. I've heard Dallas, Houston and Denver have "sprawl" which I understand. But there are at least some blocks that have apartments and are walkable right?
Yes, if you live in Uptown Dallas or the West Village, you will be able to live in an urban environment (with many apartments in the area) where you can walk to the grocery store, walk to the numerous bars and restaurants nearby, go shopping, go to the theater, etc.

You can also take the free McKinney Avenue Trolley all around Uptown and even to Downtown with the Dallas Arts District.

Last edited by Photography; 03-25-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 03-25-2011, 04:12 PM

Again, thanks for the links! I didn't know parts of Dallas were that urban and...nice.

It seems like my desire for a little slower pace and size than NYC, warmer weather and sunny days, plus throw in my love for sports (college football especially) and staying active, that finding a city in the south with culture and walkability (some museums too!) would be ideal. Any other suggestions??

Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Here's a good profile on Nashville.

I'll second the mention of Austin and also throw in New Orleans.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM

269 posts, read 666,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Here's a good profile on Nashville.

I'll second the mention of Austin and also throw in New Orleans.
Nash is quite frumpy.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 AM

How about Atlanta of Tampa? Any thoughts about downtown, walkable areas with an urban feel in those cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.